Reese Witherspoon to Play a Gay Actor’s ‘Beard’ in New Comedy

Reese Witherspoon is set to play a role played by a number of real-life Hollywood women, a romantic comedy called The Beard, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

WitherspoonChernin Entertainment has dipped into its discretionary fund to pick up the project, a spec script by Becca Greene.

Witherspoon will star in the project and produce with Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping of Cherinin Entertainment and Mason Novick.

While it might be tempting to see a story about Witherspoon growing facial hair, the “beard” in the title refers to a member of the opposite sex — usually a woman — who acts as a date for a gay person, giving the illusion the person isn’t gay. Story details were not revealed.

Do you think she's going to draw from experience?

Comments

1. jason says

Why is it that gay men are suitable only for comedies? How about dramas, romances etc? Hollywood is garbage, and continues to treat us as comic side-kicks or objects of laughter.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Hollywood’s homophobia is on a par with the Religious Right.

2. Derrick from Philly says

All right, Jason. When they do the Jeffrey Dahmer Story will you be satisfied? Be kinda’ hard to turn Dahmer’s life and deeds into a musical comedy.

3. woodroad34 says

Well, just an FYI, they have made musicals out of murderers: “Chicago”, Stephen Sondheim’s “Assassins”, “Sweeney Todd” or dramas like “Rope” and “Strangers on a Train”.

BTW, wouldn’t this new movie almost be Reese’s autobiography?

4. terry says

I do get where Jason is coming from but you have to remember that Hollywood produces films they think will cater to a particular audience. Sorry to say the gay male niche is not the biggest demographic.

5. anon says

Didn’t Doris Day do this in the 50’s and 60’s? I could see her as a contemporary Doris Day. However, given her reputation, this casting is either inspired or ironic.

6. Kris Avalon says

Ummmm they made a movie about Jeffrey Dahmer and it starred Jeremy Renner. I do agree that gays shouldn’t be seen as only comedy side pieces, but I’m sure one day we will get serious films like action, horror or sci-fi starring an openly gay lead

7. Derrick from Philly says

“Ummmm they made a movie about Jeffrey Dahmer and it starred Jeremy Renner”

Wow, you’re right, Kris. I remember now. It was based on the Broadway musical “The Singing Cannibal,” wasn’t it?

8. ludsa says

What could be a deep satirical look at closeted actors in Hollywood, and the people that keep them closeted, probably won’t be as long as Reese Witherspoon is involved. I hope I’m wrong because this premise is ripe for exploration.

9. GregV says

@Jason: I do get tired of comedies in which the mere fact that a character is gay is supposed to be an easy punchline. But your conspiracy theory about Hollywood, as always, does not hold up to scrutiny.
    Out of all the male actors nominated for the Screen Actors Guild awards for a leading role, since 2005, 5 out of 35 have been gay characters (all of them in dramas). Out of the 7 winners since 2005, two have been gay characters, again both in dramas.

10. Mark says

Jason, you obviously haven’t watched to many movies about gay men. Let me list a couple that are not comedies. “Broke Back Mountain”, “Philadelphia”, “Torch Song Trilogy”. Just to name a few. Get with the program and stop whining.