2012 Olympics | AIDS/HIV | Diving | News | Olympics | Tom Daley | Twitter

BigGayDeal.com

Welsh Footballer Suspended for Homophobic Tweet to British Diver Tom Daley

Daley

Welsh football player Daniel Thomas has been suspended for a tweet sent to British diver Tom Daley after his fourth place finish on Monday which read, "if there is any consolation for finishing fourth atleast daley and waterfield can go and bum eachother #teamHIV".

DanielthomasThe BBC reports:

Daniel Thomas, 28, will be the subject of an internal investigation into a tweet sent to Daley, Welsh Premier League Port Talbot Town FC says...Port Talbot FC officials confirmed midfielder Thomas had been suspended while they investigated the incident. A club spokesman said: "Port Talbot Town Football Club can confirm Daniel Thomas has been suspended from all involvement with the club until we have carried out a full internal investigation.

Said a spokesman for the club: "We were made aware to an offensive comment appearing on the Twitter feed of one of our players. Upon being informed of the matter, we immediately distanced ourselves from any offensive messages whilst investigating the matter further. Having spoken at length to the player in question, we believe he regrettably left his phone unattended and was the victim of a very misguided 'prank'. All footballers at Port Talbot Town will also be briefed on the appropriate use of social media and ensuring it is used securely and responsibly."

The footballer's Twitter account has also been suspended.

The incident followed another incident in which a British teen was arrested after tweeting Daley:

"You let your dad down, I hope you know that," he had written. Daley's father lost his battle with cancer in 2011.

Shortly before the final had begun, Daley had expressed his gratitude for the support he had received since that time.
"After the toughest year of my life, today is the day!" Daley wrote. "I just want to thank everyone for all their support no matter what the outcome."

The British teen was arrested "on suspicion of malicious communications" according to the BBC.

A spokesman was unable to confirm whether the arrest was specifically over the tweets to Daley or subsequent Twitter conversations with other users.

(tweet screencap via gay star news)

Comments

1. Wait - we're supposed to believe that he left his phone unattended and someone played a prank? I have some really beautiful mountain property in Nebraska that I'd like to sell you....

Posted by: Butch | Aug 1, 2012 10:45:11 AM

2. What a a-hole. Good luck getting anyone to believe your lame "Someone else used my phone" excuse.

Posted by: Eddie | Aug 1, 2012 10:49:36 AM

3. Riiiiight. Why is it when someone posts something inflammatory and gets nailed for it, their account was suddenly “hacked”?

Posted by: ichabod | Aug 1, 2012 10:51:04 AM

4. I'm sure Tom Daly's Dad would be extremely proud of such a talented and athletic son. The Dads of the two tweeters, however, are probably red-faced and shamed at their cowardly sons, especially the loser who claimed that someone stole his phone to tweet hatred.

Posted by: trees | Aug 1, 2012 10:51:22 AM

5. I don't understand why Tom Daley brings out the crazies all the time (including Chick Fil A apparently). These nasty tweets after his diving performance, and he also was bullied in school so badly he had to transfer to a new school. Maybe it's all because people think he's gay, but the first offensive tweet was about his father, and the school bullying was supposedly just about him being such a successful diver, which is very weird.

Also, just so people don't think britain has gone mad and is arresting people for tweeting, there's also a youtube video from the offender that's pretty scary. It's not directed at Daley, but the guy is clearly violent and unstable, so maybe that prompted some preemptive police work before he took out his aggression on Daley.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 1, 2012 10:54:43 AM

6. Looks like the comment from chick fil a was deleted as I was typing my message, so ignore the reference (and poor grammar as well)

Posted by: Brian | Aug 1, 2012 10:56:38 AM

7. A horribly douchy comment for sure, but why is saying that too men can go have sex considered homophobic?

If it were a mixed double tennis team, and he said the same thing if the team lost, would that be "hetero" phobic? Nope-- just really douchy.

Posted by: tom a | Aug 1, 2012 10:59:04 AM

8. I don't think his Twitter account was suspended. When Twitter suspends an account you'll get a message saying that the account has been suspended, as we saw recently when they suspended a journalist for criticizing NBC's coverage. This just says that the account can't be found, which probably means that he deleted his account.

I also don't think Twitter suspended the account for homophobia, since you can find rampant hate speech on Twitter all the time. Twitter's stance, as outlined in its Terms of Service, are, essentially, you use the service you take your chances at being offended.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 1, 2012 11:00:59 AM

9. ^It says #teamHIV at the end of the tweet. Enough said.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 1, 2012 11:02:27 AM

10. Yeah, the whole "someone hacked my account and sent out homophobic messages" excuse is getting old. It's the 'gay panic' defense 2.0

2ndly, does anyone wonder why Daley is getting such homophobic remarks? What else is a man going to do when some hottie with a tight body turns him on? "Let me prove to myself that he isn't turning me on by saying something homophobic! Yeah, that'll show myself he's not turning me on."

The most classic line I've seen was a straight man making a comment about Daley's shower pics where he stated "I just turned gay for 3 seconds. OK, 4."

Posted by: Michael | Aug 1, 2012 11:04:34 AM

11. I'm just interested in that whole "malicious communication" thing. You mean they prosecute trolls in the UK? Can we please start doing that here in the US? So sick and tired of keyboard warriors spreading their filth.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 1, 2012 11:05:18 AM

12. "Maybe it's all because people think he's gay"

More likely his good looks make *them* feel gay, and that upsets them. On one site that showed photos of Daley, one more good-natured straight guy posted that the photos "made me feel gay for like 3 seconds...okay, maybe four".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 1, 2012 11:13:33 AM

13. Oh but miss Daley claims he's straight, don't cha know! Complete with "girlfriend". It's so cringe inducing when an overly obvious gay guy says he's straight, kind of like Jason Russell. Girl please!

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 11:28:19 AM

14. @sam: your comment is no different than the homophobic tweet. If Tom says he is straight then I take him at his word.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 1, 2012 11:35:46 AM

15. TOM A, perhaps you missed the hash tag at the end of the tweet: #teamHIV.

I think THAT was what made it homophobic.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 1, 2012 11:42:18 AM

16. lol you take his word for it? Ok, Mike. Apparently you haven't seen Daley speak, walk, gesture, etc...
    He's a gay as the backstage at the Icecapades!

Noting the ridiculousness of a closeted, clearly gay guy is in no way the same as an anti-gay statement like team HIV. Nice try though.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 11:49:09 AM

17. Good response to this by the Brits. It does take some people longer to learn that Gay slurs (yes I did catch the #teamHIV) disguised as "humor" are not acceptable. He can think what he wants in his twisted little brain, but tweeting it? Dumb.

Oh, and please, let's not get into insisting that Daley has to be closeted because he's young and cute even if he does have a girlfriend. There's no point to that, and it makes us look every bit as dumb as the footballer.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 1, 2012 11:53:39 AM

18. So he posted a mean spirited twit. If he is under some legal clause morals-type against publicly embarrassing the team or league that's one thing, but I hope he doesn't get arrested like the kid in Dorset.

I respect Daley [he is a hottie,too] and sympathize with his dad's death, that said 'mean' online posts should be protected free speech.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 1, 2012 11:57:14 AM

19. Yes! I didn't notice the hashtag! I'm not a twitter person. do hashtags actually do anything on twitter, or are they just for snark or humor?

Posted by: tom a | Aug 1, 2012 11:58:41 AM

20. Rob, that's ludicrous for you to suggest I feel Daley is gay because he's young, cute and has a girlfriend. Talk about missing the point.

I claim that Daley is gay because of his collective mannerisms which are more obvious than most of the gay guys I know. Not that that's a bad thing, as I'm sure you'll next assert are my feelings towards effeminate gay guys.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 12:04:03 PM

21. @Sam Is Tom Daley being homo-hostile? No!

Tom Daley does not need / deserve to be outed, assuming he is in fact homosexual.

Can you even imagine the amount of pressure that has been placed on Tom Daley, an eighteen year boy, by the British government for these Olympics?

Tom Daley really should not have to deal with the scrutiny in regard to his PERCEIVED sexuality!

Plus, is #teamHIV ever appropriate?

Posted by: Blake | Aug 1, 2012 12:04:29 PM

22. Blake, that same pressure is also placed on out gay gold medalist diver Matthew Mitcham. Now that's a guy who deserves "our" respect!!!

In general, I have little respect, especially in this day and age, for ANY gay guy to not be out and proud. Except for the redneck homophobes, no one cares in you're gay or straight, and if they do they are not worth your time.
    Coseted guys need to stop living a lie! It's harmful in more ways than you can imagine.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 1, 2012 12:15:31 PM

23. Ah, Britain, home of George Orwell and speech codes nationwide. Thomas was suspended for embarrassing the team, obviously, but otherwise, the issue is whether you can put online any comments you like, harsh or not. I suppose the ridiculousness of it is that Tweeting will get you into trouble, but posting on TR will not. This is probably because the riots in Britain last summer were organized in part through Twitter (as was a lot of the Arab Spring and the current rebellion in Syria). So, apparently Twitter is a threat to the social order around the world. Definitely the forefront of speech rights law right now.

Posted by: anon | Aug 1, 2012 12:21:29 PM

24. @Sam I am a Mitcham man all the way and I am hoping he breaks the Chineese streak again.

But he was several years older when he came out and he was not built up in the public eye, then (2008) or now (2012) as much as Tom Daley has been.

Personally I do not think that Mitcham has gotten the respect and publicity he deserves for 2012, considering what he accomplished in 2008.

Plus I do not think that Tom Daley's diving skills are that well developed compared to Mitcham and some of the others, so he is in for a lot of criticism if he does not do well in the 10m individuals.

Posted by: Blake | Aug 1, 2012 12:33:01 PM

25. @TOM A: Besides being really douchy yourself, a suggestion would be to reread the tweet:

That you don't find that tweet offensive says that either your some dumb straight dweeb or a really ignorant twit (yeah, I know, I'm being redundant). So, move on butt-boy, to some other gay blog site and play around. We're serious over here (well most of the time).

Anyway, I'm wondering if the excuse that Thomas "regrettably left his phone unattended" is the Brit version of "the devil made me do it".

Ah, those Brits. Always finding a way to tally their ho.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 1, 2012 12:39:58 PM