News | Paris Hilton

BigGayDeal.com

Bret Easton Ellis On Grindr: 'Paris Hilton Isn't That Far Off'

Bret1

One can only assume that author Bret Easton Ellis wishes Paris Hilton had stuck to her comments that gay men are "disgusting" and "like die of AIDS". The American Psycho scribe took to Twitter last night to say he "kind of agree[s]" with the hotel heiress' original comments.

"As someone who has used Grindr... Paris Hilton isn't that far off," he tweeted, showing his character.

Bret2

[Via Gawker]

Comments

1. oh my

Posted by: luke | Sep 22, 2012 11:44:07 AM

2. Not all gays go on Grindr, so I take umbrage at the generalization made about gays by these two. Nonetheless, I assume that since Ellis and Ms. Hilton have such heightened sensibilities about the morals of gay people, they are both virginal in their personal lives. True?

Posted by: candideinnc | Sep 22, 2012 11:50:06 AM

3. I agree and disagree. I have met some great people on there... but it's how the individual uses it. When I get messages like "Cock pic?" or "looking?" i ignore them. Everyone should be safe

Posted by: Alex | Sep 22, 2012 11:50:09 AM

4. This is coming from the bitter old queen who said Matt Bomer doesn't have the acting chops to play straight. Not exactly a font of wisdom.

Posted by: Matthew | Sep 22, 2012 12:06:20 PM

5. Ellis should hook up with Rupert Everett in an internalized homophobia roadshow.

Posted by: Matthew | Sep 22, 2012 12:08:41 PM

6. Bret, you have no personal integrity in your life as a semi-closeted gay man, so your comments are at best irrelevant and at worst reveal some inner torment you haven't dealt with.

Now that your writing career is petering out, perhaps you can get some help.

Posted by: Michael Preston | Sep 22, 2012 12:08:41 PM

7. Once again you are misrepresenting the facts. She didn't say gays are disgusting. I actually agree with her that a certain kind of Grindr user is disgusting. People who use Grindr are just creeps.

Posted by: DanSwon | Sep 22, 2012 12:11:43 PM

8. Oh yeah so this "it gets worse' guy suddenly thinks that after eating James Deen sh!t he has suddenly become all relevant!

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 22, 2012 12:12:45 PM

9. I never think of this guy unless his...whatever....gets posted. he's of no interest, he lacks integrity and intellectuality.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Sep 22, 2012 12:15:06 PM

10. I never think of this guy unless his...whatever....gets posted. he's of no interest, he lacks integrity and intellectuality.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Sep 22, 2012 12:15:19 PM

11. In the gay world, you're not allowed to criticize those who are reckless or who don't care about basic decency - like public park hookups and unsafe hookups on grindr. You see, we gays are supposed to celebrate those who are buffoons, just because they're gay.

Posted by: joe | Sep 22, 2012 12:16:06 PM

12. Danswon- No, YOU are misrepresenting facts. She said "Ewwww … gay guys are the horniest people in the world. Most of them probably have AIDS … I would be so scared if I was a gay guy … you’ll like die of AIDS." Note that she is talking about gays, NOT grindr. As a gay who doesn't use grindr, I am offended that she is calling me gross. I hope this ends her "career."

Danswon- learn how to read before you start bullying people and telling them that they are misrepresenting facts.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 22, 2012 12:20:56 PM

13. Danswon- No, YOU are misrepresenting facts. She said "Ewwww … gay guys are the horniest people in the world. Most of them probably have AIDS … I would be so scared if I was a gay guy … you’ll like die of AIDS." Note that she is talking about gays, NOT grindr. As a gay who doesn't use grindr, I am offended that she is calling me gross. I hope this ends her "career."

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 22, 2012 12:21:05 PM

14. Has been, irrelevant douchbag. Who cares?

Posted by: Bart | Sep 22, 2012 12:21:19 PM

15. Same can be said for SOME straight hookups as well. Not limited to gay community, but certainly limited to a very small portion of the gay community. She should not have used blanket terms as this is stereotyping - the idea that if you are gay then you have to ph*ck every moment of your life. Sex is only a small part of being who you are and being gay is much more about our humanity and how we foster long-term relationships.

Posted by: Tothepoint | Sep 22, 2012 12:24:09 PM

16. Can somebody score this guy some more coke so he can stop incessantly trying to play devil's advocate on gay issues? We know how to watch out for AID'S thanks, just because we haven't directed a few crap movies doesn't mean we can't think for ourselves.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Sep 22, 2012 12:24:12 PM

17. Paris Hilton was right...as far as concerns Bret Easton Ellis.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Sep 22, 2012 12:33:35 PM

18. Paris Hilton was right...as far as concerns Bret Easton Ellis.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Sep 22, 2012 12:33:41 PM

19. any minute now Rupert Everett will agree as well.

Grindr, like all things, is what you make of it. You can get a hookup from Facebook. Or church. Or any "socially accepted" congregating place.

using Grindr doesn't automatically mean that you're going to engage in risky anonymous bareback sex just as meeting some dude in some oh-so-"non-trashy" situation doesn't mean you're going to date, use condoms, marry and adopt Chinese babies and live a life free of some puritanical idea of "sin"

Dear Ellis, get back to doing what you do best - writing about sex-obsessed heterosexuals in a manner that shows you know as little about straight men as you do about gay men.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 22, 2012 12:34:58 PM

20. I'm not defending Paris Hilton by any means but she was clearly talking about men having anonymous sex on Grindr.

Brett Easton Ellis and Rupert Everett should get together. Oh, the drug-fueled fights and drama queen oneupmanship! It'd be a match made in hell.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 22, 2012 12:36:22 PM

21. I see he had to tweet that same sentiment twice, probably did get his intended level of shock that he wanted the first time.

The comments were ignorant by Hilton (surprising) and misguided. I've met a couple of friends off of grindr that are decent people, it's hard in my line of work to meet guys so it's a nice outlet.

I fail to see how a hookup on grindr is safer/saner than going home with someone you've known for less than an hour in a bar or club or the beach or frat party etc. Straight people do risky casual hookups all the time, lets not forget that in our rush to justify our internalized homophobia.

Posted by: MaddM@ | Sep 22, 2012 12:41:07 PM

22. Mr. Ellis is just desperate to regain his 15 minutes of fame.

Posted by: homer | Sep 22, 2012 12:42:05 PM

23. Ellis is a non-writer, but still a better writer than this self-hating gay hick Andrew Belonsky. And, Paris Hilton is a waste of an heiress.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 22, 2012 12:46:23 PM

24. like maddM@ (hey buddy!) I've made great friends off Grindr. The app itself is not inherently __________.

it's what you make of it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 22, 2012 12:47:03 PM

25. The population she covered in her statement, which seems to apply to all gays, is way overbroad and moronic. The underlying sentiment as applied to a lot of Grindr users -- I've gotta agree.

Posted by: LiamMcG | Sep 22, 2012 12:50:34 PM