Hong Kong | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hong Kong Lesbian Gigi Chao, Inundated with Marriage Offers, Speaks Out About Father's $65M Offer: VIDEO

Gigi_chao

Gigi Chao, the gay Hong Kong woman whose billionaire father offered a $65 million bounty to any man who successfully woos her, spoke to Reuters about her father's offer.

Said Chao: "I wasn't angry at all. I was really quite touched. very touched and moved by daddy's announcement. It's really his way of saying, 'baby girl, I love you, and you deserve more.'"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well, she knows how to do PR, because I suspect that those might not be her true feelings.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 28, 2012 9:59:07 AM

2. Wow, internalized homophobia and a billionaire daddy = one messed up daughter.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Sep 28, 2012 10:00:07 AM

3. Wealthy Chinese kids are incredibly spoiled. Actually, almost all Chinese kids are spoiled brats. A legacy of the one child policy and Mao's brutal Cultural Revolution.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 28, 2012 10:04:53 AM

4. she's gorgeous and i want to marry her now too !!

Posted by: nico | Sep 28, 2012 10:04:58 AM

5. She does deserve "more." She deserves a father who loves her for who she is, not who he wants her to be.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 28, 2012 10:09:07 AM

6. I personally don't believe that Gigi Chao is gay. Warning bells went off in my head when it was reported that she got married to a woman in France, a country which does NOT allow gay marriage.

As for the Chinese in general, if Gigi is an indication of the Chinese mindset, she can marry a bull dog for all I care.

Posted by: jason | Sep 28, 2012 10:16:15 AM

7. I feel like the term "openly gay" has become such a cliche in media reports. Why can't the reporter just say that she is gay? Nobody ever gets described as openly Jewish or openly Catholic or openly Cherokee or openly Republican.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 28, 2012 10:16:47 AM

8. This is yet another reason why I don't want females representing those with same-sex attractions. Females don't need to be aroused to have sex, and therefore they can pretend to be interested. On the other hand, a male's interest in sex is directly linked to physical proof of that interest (in the form of an erection).

As I keep saying over and over again: to men, sex is an end in itself whereas, to women, sex is a means to an end. This translates to men having sex because they like sex but women having sex because they like the rewards that men bestow on them for agreeing to have sex.

Posted by: jason | Sep 28, 2012 10:26:33 AM

9. @Jason: I don't know why you can't get this through your head: In a country like Zimbabwe, when a same-sex couple gets married, they are prosecuted by the government. In France, same-sex couples can and do get married all the time, but the government does not (yet) issue them the same license that it does to mixed-sex couples. Gigi and her wife were blessed in a church, not by the government. They will be able to get the license soon, when planned equality laws go through.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 28, 2012 10:28:36 AM

10. She seems to be just as crazy as her father

Posted by: Steve | Sep 28, 2012 10:28:49 AM

11. @GREGV Why would one want to be openly Republican? :)

Posted by: Gigi | Sep 28, 2012 10:29:34 AM

12. I wonder how that will affect her marriage...

Posted by: Lucas H | Sep 28, 2012 10:44:56 AM

13. LOL@ "Again, I certainly don't want women representing and sullying the importance of our sexuality."

LOL. Every time you say sh.t like the above I imagine you at your keyboard with a nervous twitch like Charles Laughton used in some of his film roles.

What makes you think women want anything to do with your sullied sex life? Yuck.

"Actually, almost all Chinese kids are spoiled brats."

Actually, some American men are spoiled right-wing homos.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 28, 2012 10:46:36 AM

14. Mongolian Idiot.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 28, 2012 10:51:42 AM

15. This is an odd reaction for her to have. A father who cares but disapproves of her homosexuality should simply sit down with his daugher and have a talk, explaining his views. He should give her time to decide (after their talk) whether this is how she really wants to live (a lesbian life, that is.) If she decides she really is gay and is going to live this way then he should give up and accept her for who she is. By offering money to a man who would marry her her father is only insulting her (she's intelligent enough to know that the prospective grooms are only viewing it as a business transaction) and he's also disrespecting the institution of marriage.

Based on her reaction to his offer, it sounds to me as if she may not really be gay but just using homosexuality to be rebellious and get Daddy's attention. It looks like she succeeded.

Posted by: Mary | Sep 28, 2012 10:54:15 AM

16. Let's see, Ratbastard being racist, Jason being sexist, and Derrick being damn funny, just another day in the Towleroad trenches.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 28, 2012 11:06:32 AM

17. Mary, she's been with her partner for 7 years. Doesn't sound like a rebellious phase to me.

Posted by: hoydenista | Sep 28, 2012 11:08:18 AM

18. EXCUSE ME TOWLEROAD MODERATORS, but why are you permitting explicitly racist comments here? "Chinese kids are spoiled?" "Mongolian idiot?" That kind of hate speech does NOT belong on a gay news site, especially when directed at someone who is presumably gay.

Posted by: atomic | Sep 28, 2012 11:45:18 AM

19. 1. A lot of the comments on here are ridiculous. Seriously folks, I could troll better(and sadly, I think most of it is honest).

2. She seems like a lovely person. She always seems like she's at peace with her and her father's relationship, that she's accepted its not likely to change in any substantive way, and that although she loves him and realizes where he is at is not where she wants him to be she's still going to live her life the way it was intended to be.

Keep calm and carry on. O/

Posted by: Cecilfirefox | Sep 28, 2012 11:50:20 AM

20. You must be new here Atomic. Towleroad attracts quite a motley assortment of racists. Check out any post with an African American in it if you really want to be disgusted. Andy (the site owner) regularly ignores calls for some sort of basic moderation, but he's not at all interested.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 28, 2012 11:55:31 AM

21. This man is not mature enough to be a father. What a piece of sh8t to do that to your own daughter AND so publicly ?

He should be ashamed of himself.

If people cannot handle the thought of having a gay child then they should not be allowed to have ANY children. Being gay is a possibility just as being male or female is a possibility with children. If people aren't able to unconditionally accept their child the way it turns out then they should not be allowed to attempt to have ANY children.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 28, 2012 12:00:11 PM

22. Andy you're doing it right, never, ever "moderate" these comments or we'll all end up with another gutless vanilla world of truly "unnecessary censorship."

If you don't like what you read here, don't show up.

and BTW, the only man Ms. Chao needs is a hairdresser.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 28, 2012 12:22:51 PM

23. I hate the threads on here b/c no one moderates. It's like a game of who can get on the highest pedestal.

You're judging an entire person and her family based on one video on the internet. It doesn't make sense to me why some of the most hate-filled comments here are directed towards people who are essentially strangers.

Posted by: Hugh | Sep 28, 2012 12:27:12 PM

24. Why did the Reuters reporter in the vdeo use the term "sexual preference?" It's not a preference! It's an orientation!

Posted by: Kieran | Sep 28, 2012 12:54:22 PM

25. I agree with Hugh.

Most of these comments make me ashamed of many gay people.

I'm glad none of my friends hold the racist and bigoted views you stupid queers here espouse.

You're the ones that should be ashamed of yourselves. You make me sick.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Sep 28, 2012 3:09:19 PM