Film | Gay Seniors | News | Philippines

BigGayDeal.com

Film Explores a Gay Man's Twilight Years: VIDEO

Bwakaw

A film about being gay and growing old is getting attention in the Phillippines where it was made, and has been submitted as the country's Academy Awards entry for Best Foreign Film, the WSJ reports:

The movie stars Eddie Garcia, a popular Filipino actor, as Rene, a curmudgeon with a sensitive side who didn’t come out of the closet until he was 60 and now faces old age alone. Rene occupies his time talking to his dog, Bwakaw (which rhymes with “Macau” and translates to “voracious” or “greedy”), hanging out with a gay couple who run a hair salon and visiting an elderly nursing-home resident (Armida Siguion-Reyna) who is eventually revealed to be a former sweetheart...

...[Director Jun Robles Lana] wanted to capture the sadness and silence of aging, “but at same time I didn’t want the film to be bleak. I used humor to break the silences,” he said.

To attract moviegoers in the Philippines, “Bwakaw” is being marketed as a comedy, with ads and trailers highlighting its lighter moments, including an upbeat poster that shows Bwakaw perched on Rene’s shoulder. Producers thought it would be an “easier sell,” Mr. Robles Lana said, noting that locally made comedies and horror movies dominate the country’s box office.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bwakaw2

Comments

1. Nice. We need more stories about all the various kinds of people who're gay and fewer about only those who're *'professional' homosexuals, pretty, hip, etc., And that applies to all races, ethnicities, gender, so cio-economic background, and so-on.

*Professional homosexual is a man/woman whose life revolves around being 'gay' and 'advocacy'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 21, 2012 2:24:04 PM

2. oh rat. That was so close to being a positive and constructive comment.

I hope that I end my years with a family that loves me, but if not, I'd gladly settle for a dog. Dogs are the greatest.

Posted by: RandySf | Sep 21, 2012 2:38:41 PM

3. Hopefully most of us are blessed with a partner, family, or the next best thing, a "family of friends" in our old age.

The lesson here about curmudgeons is that, as they get older, they tend to get more and more bitter and difficult toward those around them. Their nastiness and intolerance is what ultimately leaves them isolated.

Not sure that this is any different with straight people. Or if it makes it any sadder-but maybe the lesson is that life is to be enjoyed. Because at the end, we are what we have given.

Posted by: jtramon | Sep 21, 2012 3:10:31 PM

4. Okay, any movie that manages to inject a subtitle that reads "Maybe if Beyonce got run over by a steamroller!" has got to be an interesting watch.

Posted by: atomic | Sep 21, 2012 3:27:13 PM

5. It looks good, I'll be on the look out for it.

Posted by: Carlos | Sep 21, 2012 3:39:49 PM

6. ewww

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 21, 2012 3:51:34 PM

7. Oh but this is RICH. Eddie Garcia was a legendary womanizer in his youth, the Macho Man's Macho man and the golden boy of 60's and 70's Philippine cinema.His granchildren are all gorgeous and obviously took their genetics from him. they also all run widely in gay circles. Philippine actors tend to be more relaxed about playing gay roles, it seems as a VERY strong undercurrent of bisexuality or fluid sexuality runs throughout all of society there. ANYTHING is acceptable after a 6 -pack of beer. ANYTHING.

Posted by: Antonio Carax | Sep 21, 2012 4:23:50 PM

8. It looks like a great film, but I'd have to know the ending before I'd be willing to see it. My threshold for depressing movies with depressing endings is long since been overcome. Happy movies with happy endings are the best, and I'll take depressing movies with hopeful endings... but I'm no longer masochistic enough to watch something that will make me feel miserable coming out of it.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 21, 2012 5:51:20 PM

9. Beaches or rusty robot animated thing? I cried at fox & hound. Dislocated a shoulder at bambi.

Posted by: Gordon | Sep 22, 2012 10:04:45 PM

10. Really, Ryan ?

Consider the possibility that what's "depressing" to you is actually just your own interpretation. It's in your head, Ryan. Real life isn't about making your fantasies come true. Real life is about you rising up to meet it's challenges. Both physical and conceptual.

Posted by: Buckie Weston | Sep 23, 2012 12:54:56 AM

11. It's one thing to advocate something. It's something else to put your life on the line for it. That's what Det. Pat did, and last week he nearly lost it. That's a risk common to all our heroes, indeed to all of us, when the instruments of death are so common – cars, hard drugs, guns. Cops face these hazards every day, and the only people who have my contempt are those who claim these people just do it for the money.

Posted by: term paper writers | Jan 22, 2013 9:47:44 AM

12. This is a very interesting site. Thank you for posting this. It is very informative and I hope you post more in the future.

Posted by: essays | Jan 24, 2013 6:07:46 AM