Man Pepper-Sprays Teen Girl for Taunting Boyfriend with Anti-Gay Slurs

Christopher Whittle was arrested on Friday in Halifax, Nova Scotia after spraying a 14-year-old girl with pepper spray for harassing his partner with homophobic slurs. Whittle says he "snapped", the CBC reports:

WhittleWhittle said this was not a planned attack. But he said the girl has been taunting his boyfriend who works at the mall for weeks. Whittle said the slurs began when his partner wore beads from gay pride to work.

"This was happening every few days. She was coming and making comments about him being gay, and basically just taunting him for who he was, calling him a faggot, fruit whatever," Whittle said..."After so much of this going on, and seeing how this affected him – someone you love being tortured in this way, it does something to you. It really does."

Whittle says he had no idea the girl was so young:

"I do regret how I handled it. I could have handled it differently. But at the time I guess I was just so upset with everything that had gone on, that's how I reacted."

Whittle has a court date in late October.

Comments

1. Probably the wrong response to the bit$h...but I can see how it could happen. Push me too far and I'll do crazy thangs!!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Sep 12, 2012 8:16:01 PM

2. Good going, genius. The Ultra-Christians are going have a field day with this one.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 12, 2012 8:16:28 PM

3. Sometimes it's difficult when payback comes. The girl's opinions won't change, but she might think twice before he opens her mouth.

Posted by: James | Sep 12, 2012 8:16:31 PM

4. His defense lawyer should call this girl to the witness stand and force her to admit the comments of what she said so that they are part of the record. The record is then part of a public file, and can and should be used against her for the rest of her life.

If she is going to file criminal complaint against him, she should be called on to answer for her behavior.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 12, 2012 8:17:11 PM

5. I feel no sympathy for the brat whatsoever. She has the right to say what she wants, and has the responsibility to accept the repercussions for her actions. She's only 14? Then her parents are responsible for her behavior, and whatever trauma she inflicts on others as a result of her trashy mouth.

Why is it always ok to abuse gays but never okay for gays to defend themselves?

Posted by: Me | Sep 12, 2012 8:20:48 PM

6. Kid deserved it.

Posted by: DanSwon | Sep 12, 2012 8:28:14 PM

7. Where did this take place? In a State w/ workplace protections?

Don't be too quick to blame the parents. A lot of folks would be horrified to know how their kids behave.

Let's hope she has a record, and he doesn't. An out of court settlement will probably be the best for both... but there's a little part of me that relishes that people may feel put on notice. Don't F with us. Not ever again.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Sep 12, 2012 8:28:39 PM

8. I'll quote the Ghostbusters "Get Her!"

Posted by: Husky | Sep 12, 2012 8:29:42 PM

9. I don't side with the girl but as a former mall employee, it is quite easy to deject someone from a store. Why he didn't get his manager to remove the girl is beyond me. If he was the manager of the store, I could see him easily being fired for being completely inept at his job.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 12, 2012 8:32:16 PM

10. It's never okay to spray someone with pepper spray because they said something that you disagree with.

Also, it's sad when a gay man can't come up with something to say to a teenage girl to shut her up. Pepper spray wears off. The right cutting remark could damage her self-esteem for years.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 12, 2012 8:32:59 PM

11. She'll get a medal from One Million Moms. Pepper Spray? A real Gay man would use sarcasm, an easy "knife" to find.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Sep 12, 2012 8:38:16 PM

12. "Where did this take place?"

@PeteinSFO: It was in Halifax, Canada.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 12, 2012 8:38:39 PM

13. No sympathy for the girl either...but I have to step out and ask...if she was truly taunting and verbally abusive for weeks, did he ever say anything? Maybe part of the story is missing, but if the bf didn't stand up for himself, well, that is sad...

Posted by: marcus | Sep 12, 2012 8:40:27 PM

14. Good on him! Everyone, including him, needs to understand that your actions will have a re-action. You never know who you are dealing with and what they will do. Maybe after this she will stop and think before she mouths off. It also comes down to common curtsey. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 12, 2012 8:56:13 PM

15. If this had been happening for weeks, I would have started carrying an air horn...

Or even better. Tape her on a phone and humiliate her on the internet.

Posted by: Polyboy | Sep 12, 2012 9:00:50 PM

16. Who is really the 14 year-old, here? What he did was despicable.

Posted by: Jere | Sep 12, 2012 9:21:10 PM

17. If this was happening regularly, he could've just filmed it and put her rants on youtube... That's a better revenge. The whole macing her sounds too premeditated.

Posted by: Denis | Sep 12, 2012 9:23:05 PM

18. The guy who pepper-sprayed the girl has no excuse. That's ridiculous. He should have just made fun of her hair or her big nose.

Posted by: JFE | Sep 12, 2012 9:23:08 PM

19. I have rage issue. I would have probably shot the girl dead before realizing what I had done.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | Sep 12, 2012 9:30:16 PM

20. The headline made me giggle! Lil' b*tch had it coming.

Posted by: TyN | Sep 12, 2012 9:37:46 PM

21. She would of said don't take me bro, had it been me
    Lololol

Posted by: Austin | Sep 12, 2012 10:13:35 PM

22. He should shut up and let his lawyer do the talking.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 12, 2012 10:17:06 PM

23. Don't apologize. There are those who will never leave us in peace until they're afraid of us. So, make them afraid!

Posted by: Bill | Sep 12, 2012 10:33:44 PM

24. A grown man attacking a 14 year old girl because she insulted his boyfriend. GROW UP. This man clearly has serious anger issues and the book should be thrown at him. Bullying happens, I've dealt with it a lot in my life but when you answer it with violence all it shows is how small, cowardly and pathetic you really are, particularly when you are a grown man attacking a person who is essentially a child.

Posted by: Horace G | Sep 12, 2012 11:01:54 PM

25. Towleroad posters join the real world. The girl wasn't going to stop. Every gay person who's been taunted knows this, they see the forcefulness and willingness of these bullies to go on forever. Good for this guy for giving her something back. I'm so sick of heterosexuals thinking they can dump on gay people.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 12, 2012 11:04:05 PM