Man Pepper-Sprays Teen Girl for Taunting Boyfriend with Anti-Gay Slurs

Christopher Whittle was arrested on Friday in Halifax, Nova Scotia after spraying a 14-year-old girl with pepper spray for harassing his partner with homophobic slurs. Whittle says he "snapped", the CBC reports:

WhittleWhittle said this was not a planned attack. But he said the girl has been taunting his boyfriend who works at the mall for weeks. Whittle said the slurs began when his partner wore beads from gay pride to work.

"This was happening every few days. She was coming and making comments about him being gay, and basically just taunting him for who he was, calling him a faggot, fruit whatever," Whittle said…"After so much of this going on, and seeing how this affected him – someone you love being tortured in this way, it does something to you. It really does."

Whittle says he had no idea the girl was so young:

"I do regret how I handled it. I could have handled it differently. But at the time I guess I was just so upset with everything that had gone on, that's how I reacted."

Whittle has a court date in late October.

Comments

1. Randy says

His defense lawyer should call this girl to the witness stand and force her to admit the comments of what she said so that they are part of the record. The record is then part of a public file, and can and should be used against her for the rest of her life.

If she is going to file criminal complaint against him, she should be called on to answer for her behavior.

2. Me says

I feel no sympathy for the brat whatsoever. She has the right to say what she wants, and has the responsibility to accept the repercussions for her actions. She’s only 14? Then her parents are responsible for her behavior, and whatever trauma she inflicts on others as a result of her trashy mouth.

Why is it always ok to abuse gays but never okay for gays to defend themselves?

3. Pete N SFO says

Where did this take place? In a State w/ workplace protections?

Don’t be too quick to blame the parents. A lot of folks would be horrified to know how their kids behave.

Let’s hope she has a record, and he doesn’t. An out of court settlement will probably be the best for both… but there’s a little part of me that relishes that people may feel put on notice. Don’t F with us. Not ever again.

4. Sam says

I don’t side with the girl but as a former mall employee, it is quite easy to deject someone from a store. Why he didn’t get his manager to remove the girl is beyond me. If he was the manager of the store, I could see him easily being fired for being completely inept at his job.

5. Chris says

It’s never okay to spray someone with pepper spray because they said something that you disagree with.

Also, it’s sad when a gay man can’t come up with something to say to a teenage girl to shut her up. Pepper spray wears off. The right cutting remark could damage her self-esteem for years.

6. marcus says

No sympathy for the girl either…but I have to step out and ask…if she was truly taunting and verbally abusive for weeks, did he ever say anything? Maybe part of the story is missing, but if the bf didn’t stand up for himself, well, that is sad…

7. andrew says

Good on him! Everyone, including him, needs to understand that your actions will have a re-action. You never know who you are dealing with and what they will do. Maybe after this she will stop and think before she mouths off. It also comes down to common curtsey. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

8. Denis says

If this was happening regularly, he could’ve just filmed it and put her rants on youtube… That’s a better revenge. The whole macing her sounds too premeditated.

9. Horace G says

A grown man attacking a 14 year old girl because she insulted his boyfriend. GROW UP. This man clearly has serious anger issues and the book should be thrown at him. Bullying happens, I’ve dealt with it a lot in my life but when you answer it with violence all it shows is how small, cowardly and pathetic you really are, particularly when you are a grown man attacking a person who is essentially a child.

10. Bill says

11. Caliban says

Honestly? Good for him. I bet that’s the last time the little b**ch does it.

I don’t what planet some of you live on where someone who is being harassed gives a snappy comeback and the aggressor runs away crying and is never heard from again. Planet Television is about the only place that happens.

The only bad thing here is the guy she was tormenting wasn’t the one who did it.

12. Shawn says

Sorry can’t support the man. I can sympathize. Kids are cruel. But to me a 14 yr old is a kid. I was. And sure, there still needs to be consequences for actions. But to physically assault a kid in response to a verbal assault is wrong. If the courts decide otherwise theres a lot of mouthy kids about to be sprayed.

13. will says

No, you can’t pepper spray anyone for insults. If she started getting physical, though, maybe a case could be made.

But, all said, in the bigger cultural view, we are finally winning the hearts and minds of the american people. Maine and Maryland and New Jersey and possibly Washington state look likely to pass referendums this November legalizing gay marriage BY THE VOTERS. We are winning the culture war. It’s sensed. Expect a few social con nutjobs and their children to act out. It’s desperation. Let the water roll off your backs

14. will says

15. Imagine if... says

Imagine if the young shrew in this article was screaming “ni**er” or “sp*c” or “raghead” at someone and got sprayed. The sprayer would be a national hero in Canada.

Just goes to show that homophobia is everywhere, even in Canada.

16. Shawn says

I’m Canadian and my view isn’t motivated by homophobia. Violence is not how to deal with an obnoxious teens regardless of which types of bigotry they spew. Sure homophobia exists in Canada. But as far as I know I’ve never been discriminated against in terms of housing, employment, etc,. Just individuals who are entitled to their own mind and decisions. I hope Canada is more about everyone’s personal freedoms than about homophobia. Either way if the current facts paint the right picture he should be convicted of something.

17. Icebloo says

This is why we need hate crimes laws like other countries. Unfortunately the Republicans continue to block everything we do. The US is so backward on everything !

18. says

“Towleroad posters join the real world. The girl wasn’t going to stop. Every gay person who’s been taunted knows this, they see the forcefulness and willingness of these bullies to go on forever. Good for this guy for giving her something back. I’m so sick of heterosexuals thinking they can dump on gay people.”

THIS

19. "The Gay" says

Hilarious, yet oddly predictable comments here, defending assaulting a minor…

No, it’s not OK to mace a child over words; if she was harassing him regularly he should have handled it the way any mature adult would have handled it.

So many of you posting here seem to lack any common sense, and seem to so readily give up your own intelligence at the drop of a hat in favor of cheap politicization of incidents that are really not that difficult to handle.

It’s childish, and doesn’t accomplish any positive change. There are just SO many other options available, other than resorting to physical violence, and the inane escalation of hyperbole.

What, are all you silly queens still in high school ? Simply videotaping this child’s regularly occurring and predictable behaviour, contacting the mall authorities, contacting an attorney, filing a police report, the options available are so numerous, I can’t believe anyone would condone this type of behavior, just because the person on the receiving end was gay.

He deserves whatever fines and jail time he gets, and whatever he gets sued for. He should also get some psychological help for his poor impulse control problem, and for making himself such a victim.

After all, this didn’t happen just once or twice, he put up with it REPEATEDLY.

Come on, who does that ? Stop playing the eternal victim, and stop making lame excuses for BEING such pathetic victims.

20. says

I’ve always made sure anyone who tried to bully never tried it twice. The only thing a bully understands is violence, make them bleed and they will think twice before crossing you again. I’d draw the line at attacking a child though. Just make fun of her hair or something.

21. Ricco says

@FuryOfFirestorm . . . you are a perfect example of an article posted earlier that talked about why gay men are so judgmental of other gay men.

This is the same phenomenon that took place with Blacks being so critical of other Blacks. It had to do with an overkeening desire to win the approval of White people. Imagine that! Worrying about winning the approval of bigots . . . so much so that they called each other the “N” word, and their judgments of any Black who they felt disgraced the Black community before the almighy White people were treated harshly.

And we see it now in gay men like you who are so uber-concerned with winning the approval of homophobic, rightwing bigots, that you will go to great lengths to strip away your own humanity, your fallibilities, living your entire life on a stage, scrutinizing every little thing you do, and other gay men do. And you expect the rest of us to live on that stage.

Give yourself, and the rest of us a break. Be yourself, Accept your humanity because no matter how hard you try, people who are determined to hate you are going to hate, no matter how straight you act.

22. "The Gay" says

Derek : Great point.

We can CHOOSE to empower ourselves, or we can CHOOSE to BE victims.

Macing anybody over just name-calling, especially under these circumstances – she was doing this REGULARLY, he knew she was probably going to do it again – is an escalation, NOT self defense.

He had time to THINK about this, he had time to PLAN to escalate this, people here are missing the relevant points.

He may have felt helpless, he may have felt intimidated and threatened, whatever his feelings were, they were his to deal with. He didn’t THINK.

Judging from the remarks here, neither did whoever he spoke to about the ongoing incidents, he may have gotten some very bad advice from friends that also lack the ability to THINK.

This isn’t going to go well for him, and it’s really a shame, but honestly, he made a very bad choice that could have spiraled even further out of control and got him killed.

You contact security, you file police reports, you go to a lawyer, you deal with it as a civilized person, you DO NOT do anything to escalate crazyness.

I hope people here commenting will take away from this story some empowering ideals as opposed to the wallowing in victimhood that just keeps us all caught up in senseless drama and self destructive patterns, because this incident really IS a perfect example of just that.

We don’t HAVE to play this game anymore; we were never very good at it, it kept us helpless and oppressed, and it always backfired on us anyway.

23. daws says

We all know that teenagers are assholes. She’s not dead so it’s not that big a deal. She deserved it. I wish there was footage to bring some happiness to my day.

24. Sarcastic Medved says

Oh Horace, stop your political correctness crap.
    The “girl” who is hardly a child at 14, had it coming.
    I guess YOU would have tried to cajole and talk to her about it. You are the nitwit and YOU are the problem.
    Not the guy that pepper sprayed the little cow.

25. MaddM@ says

It was mace, not “A mace,” she’ll cry it out and get over it.

The brat shouldn’t have opened her mouth if she wasn’t ready to deal with the consequences. She wrote the check, he cashed it. Despite the fact that she was “only 14″ she was acting like a little sociopath.

I don’t buy the “but she’s just a kid!!” thing because it’s insulting to 14 year olds that behave themselves properly and act like human beings.

26. ratbastard says

A grown man is harassed by a 14 year old girl and he pepper sprays her:

1) It’s a sad and pathetic story. And no doubt MANY antigay ‘homophobes’ are Laughing their a**es off.

2) Yes, kids can be mean. Adults can be mean. Heterosexuals can be mean. Homosexuals can be mean. Boys can be nasty. Girls can be nasty. Women and men can be mean. But it’s not OK for a man to assault, including pepper spraying, a 14 year old girl [or boy] because they were saying mean things. Now if it was one guy against another, I wouldn’t have a problem with a fist fight.

The man being harassed should have demanded the manager of the store bar the girl from entering and anyone else who harassed him. He should have reported the harassment to the police and mall security.

27. jason says

I’ve always said that women are amongst the most homophobic people out there. Indeed, I would say that the homophobia of women has been one of the pivotal factors which has contributed to our oppression over the years. While there are individual women who obviously aren’t homophobic, many are. They often don’t appear homophobic on the outside because they are good at hiding it.

Why do women fear the concept of male homosexuality? You’ve got to break it down into two parts. They see males as a threat because they’ve been taught by feminists that men are evil They see homosexuality in men as a threat because it’s stronger and more genuine than their own sexuality.

The female resentment towards male homosexuality is even greater if it’s a part of a bisexual male persona. Women find a man who is attracted to both genders as a threat to her ability to compete for the affections of men. She has enough trouble competing with women – whom she can try to outdo with make-up and other devices – but she is unable to compete with a man who plays by different rules compared with women.

28. BEAHBEAH says

Are you people seriously defending this man? Give me a break! There were a million ways to handle this situation and he chose the dumbest possible one. A grown man not being able to defend himself, either verbally or through store security, from a 14 year old girl is PATHETIC. And the fact that his boyfriend had to come down to handle it is even worse. He needs to grow a spine and his boyfriend needs to grow a freaking brain. Hopefully this girl learned something from this, but I doubt it, will probably just fuel the flames of her behavior.

29. Gigi says

I agree. He could have handled this situation differently but sometimes we just get pushed too far. The damaging elements to the story are the fact that the alleged slur-slinger is 14 and that Christopher went to his car, got the pepper spray, went to find the girl and then spritzed her. I’m no lawyer but to me this says pre-meditated. Then there’s the man vs. girl thing. That seems to be a misnomer these days though – some of these girls are tough bitches. I don’t buy her daddy’s defense of her either. “My daughter’s not a homophobe. She has a gay uncle. It’s her friends.” Uh huh.

30. Francis says

The way I see this is, I don’t have one iota of sympathy for the little girl and this should be a major reality check for her; I’m not amused like some here, but I don’t feel sorry for her nor her parents. With that being said, she’s probably going to be legitimately homophobic now if she wasn’t before (and was simply an immature kid), so all in all, what this guy did wasn’t smart. What Christopher did was impulsive, emotional and not rational, and ultimately, his boyfriend still had to deal with the taunting and resulting damage for an extended period of time and now his boyfriend may have to see Christopher imprisoned.

If you allow a 14 year old to get under your skin to that degree, there is a serious issue, IMO. You are the grown adult and she is the underage girl. An underage girl shouldn’t have that much emotional control over an adult that isn’t apart of the family that you’re caused severe emotional distress because she’s a brat.

31. Fenrox says

Hahahaha! OMG I would love a video of that queeny guy getting fed up and chasing a 14 yo girl with pepper spray.

That made me crack up. I hope he skirts any real consequences. If I was that 14 year old girl, my mom would call the whole thing a wash, but she was cool.

32. Jay says

I am glad Christopher Whittle stood up for his partner. People shouldn’t have to endure the kind of harassment the obnoxious teenager was dishing out. On reflection, they probably should have called the cops. But I think it sends a good lesson sometimes to fight back. I hope that gay groups in Nova Scotia will support Whittle and show up at his court date.

33. Derrick from Philly says

Jason, you’re as loony as Rick. Crazy-azz homos suffering from vagina envy. How the f.ck are you going to ignore of 51% of the world’s population. Didn’t y’all two loony homos have mommas?

34. Shelly says

I have no sympathy for the girl, but that was not at all the appropriate way to respond to the situation and really disgraceful. I’m with those citing sarcasm or YouTube as a much better option.

35. Tristram says

Brilliant. She would never dare call a black man the ‘n’ word. Until we stand up for ourselves, no one else will. Would love to have seen it. In the words of the Cell Block Tango: “She had it coming!”

36. Rick says

That a grown man is carrying pepper spray is pathetic to begin with. It marks him as a coward, one who is afraid to defend himself in a fight…..and I frankly cannot imagine any self-respecting straight man carrying it. It was originally recommended to women who were afraid of being raped….on the valid assumption that the woman would be much weaker than her assailant. The same assumption cannot be made about a gay man and someone harrassing him, so, as I said, carrying it just marks him as a coward to begin with.

And then he uses it on a child, not only a child, but a little girl, which just reinforces further the notion that he is a total coward. By using pepper spray, he implicitly puts himself on the same masculinity level as a 14-year-old girl, which is just beyond pathetic.

And I would be willing to bet he is as effeminate as all creation.

And I would also be willing to bet that he never would have confronted a straight man the same size that he is in the same way. In fact, I am certain of it.

So here we have again a perfect illustration of how screwed up the culture of effeminacy makes so many gay men. Further reinforced by some of the supportive comments in this thread.

Beyond pathetic, as I said.

37. Oz in OK says

Oh yeah, I do so loooove the ‘well I would have done things differently!’ armchair strategics on this thread. Sure you would. Call the police? Oh sure, and she would just stand there and wait for the police to arrive, right? She wouldn’t just bolt, hide somewhere and just come back and continue the taunting after the police left? No, of course not.

Were there complaints filed by Whittle’s boyfriend with store management? Dunno, but again, all this little NOMbie in training needed to do was duck out of the store, wait a little while and then go back and taunt some more, then scatter if and when management gets called. Seriously people, isn’t this the SAME behavior we see every time a Gay man actually calls police, or authorities? The perp just vanishes for a little while, and then comes back and does it some more, relishing the attention the entire time! You seriously believe that this girl wouldn’t do exactly that, and then come back saying ‘Ha! You can’t do anything to stop me you little faggot’?

Whittle stood up for his boyfriend. Yes, there are consequences – but he stood up. Bravo for him.

Oh, and for the ‘but she was just a little kid!’ comments?

“Whittle said he was shocked to find out the person he sprayed was a 14-year-old girl. He said she looks older, and assumed she was a woman.”

I believe it.

38. Phil says

I am appalled that so many commenters here support an act of violence against a child, no matter how obnoxious she is. This is a 14 year old girl who is only repeating what she was taught.

Spray her parents with pepper spray!

39. Logan says

Really, I can’t believe anyone could defend pepper-spraying a fourteen year-old girl. She might have been an obnoxious little brat, but by physically assaulting her after his partner had only been verbally assaulted he escalated it. If he has such a hard time controlling his anger he should get help for that. There were many better solutions to this situation, as stated before. Get this through your heads, violence in response to verbal assault is wrong, especially against a minor.

40. Yeek says

The law often forbids what honor requires. Finally, a boyfriend who wasn’t “too shocked to do anything.” a painful, non-lethal attack begets another…surprise.

41. says

ten bucks says the little brat will think twice before she shoots her mouth off again.

not the lesson i’d have imparted, but hey, i betcha it worked.

oh well.

did he overreact? most likely. will it nip that little brat’s attitude in the bud? damn skippy.

42. says

“The Gay” – oh such boastful words! I look forward to you proving a URL to show yourself, so we can put a face to your words and you can back ’em up from a place of honesty, and not anonymity.

or…..likely not 😉

43. Yeek says

Most people who say “file a complaint” or “demand that she be banned from the mall” are probably guys who are indignant because deep down they know they’d never have the guts to physically fight for themselves or their boyfriends. They’d just run, or demand someone else solve the problem. And people pick on us for that very reason. He’s not the problem – you guys are.

Teenagers respond soooo well to reprimands. She’s been humiliated and hurt in a way no scolding could ever achieve, and she’s alive. This is a GREAT message. Yeah, he’ll pay a price, and he should, but it’s well worth it.

44. Beef and Fur says

@TheGay and @BeaBeah or whoever else, awww….you feel left out? I will gladly pepper spray you and the little cow again!

Three time’s a charm I say for smart mouth brats. Spray, spray, spray away!

45. Caliban says

I’m really of two minds about this. Yes there are better ways he and his partner could have handled this. Reporting her behavior to store or mall management might have worked but I wonder if she would have learned a lesson. Videoing her and putting it on the internet is another option.

But another part of me thinks she got exactly what she deserves and learned a valuable lesson too, that not everyone is going to take her $#it. Yes, he should be punished but sometimes the punishment is WORTH the action of standing up for yourself or a loved one. I don’t know about Canada, but police in the US use pepper spray and tasers on people ALL THE TIME (remember the OWS protests?!) and defend it as a non-violent method of control. He didn’t shoot her, he didn’t break her arm. He made her VERY uncomfortable for a short period of time so let’s not exaggerate what he did.

46. says

@Ricco: F*ck you. Assaulting a minor isn’t justified because she called him names or because he’s gay. He’s a grown man. He could have walked away, talked to her parents, filed a public complaint, etc. If it were the other way around – a straight man pepper spraying a gay teen – you’d be calling for his head on a pike.

Reacting to words with violence is what got 4 innocent people killed overseas this week. Hopefully we can be much more civilized than a bunch of religious lunatics, right?

47. Yeek says

If a gay teen periodically hurled slurs at someone and finally got sprayed, I’d feel exactly the same way. Stabbing? Punching? Shooting? All too much. Pepper spray? Not so bad.

48. "The Gay" says

Kiwi, why are you obsessed with what I look like ?

Sorry, you don’t get to demand anything from me, I don’t owe you s*it.

And I’m married, monogamous, and not interested in your gross advances.

Cruise someone else.

49. Chris Whitless says

A great deal has been written about this attack on a 14 year old and Mr Whittle’s story sounds quite convincing. The problem however is that the girl he claims verbally assaulted his partner is completely innocent of any comments Mr Whittle alleges she made. How do I know I hear you ask? Well the partner of Mr Whittle actually gave a very poor description of the girl who was actually attacked by Mr Whittle and also was unable to identify a very obvious trait that this girl has. Considering this girl supposedly abused Mr Whittle’s partner so long this had to have been picked up by him and it wasn’t. The boyfriend also gave specific dates when this girl was supposedly in the store and quite honestly she was never there on those days. As the parent of this child I for one hope that this evidence comes out in court as this particular girl is innocent of all Mr Whittle’s allegations; quite simply he attacked an innocent child. I do know that one of her friends was guilty of making one comment to the boyfriend which was completely unacceptable and which my daughter actually told her friend off for making this remark. But to suggest that my child made these comments over a sustained period of time is completely wrong. If and this is a big if my daughter was guilty of any such comments I can promise everyone that I would personally come down on her like a ton of bricks as both myself and her mother are despite comments made on this site are decent people who do not tolerate any kind of bigotry whatsoever. I would personally like to meet Mr Whiittle and his partner so that they are quite clear on one thing; they clearly made a mistake regarding my child and if they actually knew her that would be obvious to them. I feel extremely sorry for them to feel that they had to resort to these actions but at the end of the day what is clear is that despite their claims a completely innocent girl was attacker

50. Chris Whitless says