Paris Hilton Apologizes for Telling Cab Driver Gays are Disgusting’ and ‘Most Have AIDS’

Here's Paris Hilton's apology to GLAAD, "from the bottom of my heart" for her remarks to a cabbie that "Gay guys are the horniest people in the world. They're disgusting. Dude, most of them probably have AIDS," before adding, "I would be so scared if I were a gay guy. You'll like, die of AIDS."

HiltonSays Hilton in her statement:

As anyone close to me knows, I always have been and always will be a huge supporter of the gay community. I am so sorry and so upset that I caused pain to my gay friends, fans and their families with the comments heard this morning. I was having this private conversation with a friend of mine who is gay and our conversation was in no way towards the entire gay community. It is the last thing that I would ever want to do and I cannot put into words how much I wish I could take back every word.

HIV/AIDS can hurt anyone, gay and straight, men and women. It's something I take very seriously and should not have been thrown around in conversation.

Gay people are the strongest and most inspiring people I know. It is so wrong when people bully or put down others for being gay. No one should have to go through that. Again, I am so sorry from the bottom of my heart and I feel absolutely horrible. I hope that everyone can accept my apology and know that it is not who I am or how I feel in any way.

Thank you for taking a minute to read this, I love you.

She loves you. At least while she's in front of the camera muzzled by a piece of 'NoH8' duct tape.

Comments

1. ratbastard says

OK, let it rest. This is a non-story, and the real questions should be directed at the cab driver who recorded a private conversation without their consent.

2. Puck says

She is an attention whore publicity seeking twit…..she should focus on her own problems of being born wealthy and no knowing what to do with herself….hey! I have an idea…go get educated…bleh she gives the shivers every time I see her..

3. ratbastard says

CONTINUED:

The cab driver in my state could be criminally charged because it’s a crime to record a conversation minus all party’s consent. Even the cab company could be civilly sued, which she and her companion should consider doing.

ALL people, especially well known so-called public figures should of course be well aware there is in 2012 [because of technology] no real privacy in public. Almost everybody carries some kind of device that can record conversations, take pics and video, on them, and cams are everywhere, often hidden.

4. Francis says

I feel a tiny weeny bit sorry for her. Solely because her words got partially misconstrued. Based on the several sources I read including her “gay friend” in the cab with her, she basically was talking about some guy that they know who is HIV-positive using grindr to seek out people to have unprotected sex with.

But just a teeny weeny bit. Like 0.01%. Because overall, she was still making a very derogatory sweeping statement about guys who use grindr, she still made an extremely reckless comment about gay men having HIV, and she still very much made comments that are hateful towards those who do have HIV. I don’t think she was trying to slight the entire gay community but she is definitely a very, very ignorant person. But I think we all already knew that.

5. MarkUs says

She apologized for “telling a cab driver…..”
    What? She wasn’t talking to him. It was a private conversation the cabbie taped and sold. A private conversation with a gay friend , if I read the story correctly.

6. Zell says

I actually think she should be given a pass on this one. This was a private conversation, and who hasn’t said something in a private conversation that could be construed as insensitive? You might argue that this is how she “really feels” but I’m not interested in policing people’s thoughts and neither should anyone else be. This is not a public statement like the baseball player with the homophobic eye black. And besides, she’s clearly pretty ok with gay people. She’s completely stupid, but we should just drop this.

7. MarkUs says

What was the point of re-writing the story to make it now appear she was in the cab by herself spouting off gay hate to the cab driver? Well, I know the point. To make her look worse. As if that was necessary.

8. Gigi says

This makes me feel so much better. I’ll sleep well tonight. What bothers me more than Hilton’s ridiculous comment (btw, the cabbie recorded this conversation between Paris and her model friend – it wasn’t said TO THE CABBIE) are the comments to the story at radaronline. Don’t know how I found my way there but what a bunch of nasties.

9. Hugh says

Is it me or does this prove that those NoH8 pics have become the Livestrong bracelets for us. People do them to be trendy, but most don’t really care/know about the message.

10. Rob H says

Oh come on. She was talking (stupidly) about guys on grindr. My gay friends – and myself included probably – have said worse off the cuff remarks.

She has a well documented history of being very pro gay. Frankly, I’m not at ALL concerned about what she said as it pales in comparison to the rabidly and genuinely anti-gay forces in American politics. Give Paris a pass on this one!

11. AJ says

Really Andy?!!! Talk about spinning and twisting the story! She was talking to a gay friend and the cab driver recorded her. And she wasn’t talking about all gay men, she was talking about the sk@nks that hook up in bathrooms and bushes!! Wow. Bad reporting, bad story. I suggest you take it down, dude.

12. Brian says

The headline is the worst part of this story, as others have mentioned. In no way did she “tell the cabdriver” these things, he eavesdropped and taped her, which is just creepy.

13. Hunter says

Wait a second here with the outrage fellas…she’s kind of right. Gay men posting pictures on a location based app advertising their a$$ for a quick fu#% IS THE DEFINITION OF BEING A WHORE. It IS disgusting and it IS a way to get an STD. Having sex with strangers is dangerous. I don’t understand why we in the gay community have to say everything we do is ok. It’s not! I certainly don’t hope to one day find my dream man as a torso on Grindr. Stop attacking her for saying exactly what many gay men are already saying. Grindr is a hookup app and it’s pathetic and for trashy whores. Period. Now I’m angry I had to agree wih Paris Hilton about something.

14. Donald says

If she said it in private then she’s thought it in public. Assuming she thinks. Also assuming anyone really cares. But the only fitting end to this story is Paris becoming infected with HIV. I’ll buy her apology then.

15. Vincent says

Ladies and gentleman, your former West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade Grand Marshall…

Let’s do a better job of vetting who we honor and look up to. Everything about this story is disgusting.

16. Markt says

I love Towleroad but leave the FoxNews playbook to FoxNews. Do not alter the facts as you did in this case. I think there is a lot of competition out there for internet clicks on news sites. Your claim to fame is intelligent and thorough reporting of the FACTS. Really – you’ll only get away with deliberate misrepresentation a couple of times.

17. Lucas H says

I actually think she is being honest in her apology. Really, who hasn’t been drunk with their friends and said stupid things? Unfortunately for her, it was caught on tape, but maybe she learned more about how seriously we need to take HIV/AIDS. It would be better if she did volunteer work or got involved, but I don’t think she deserved the condemnation she was getting.

18. StillMarriedinCA says

All of you who want to forgive her because you’ve said similar (or even worse) things need to take a good look in the mirror. Instead of excusing disgusting behavior because you do it too, you should be ashamed of yourselves and grow up. I guess if we just lower the bar far enough then nobody can ever be criticized for anything. Not a world I want to live in.
    And those who are so dismissive of anyone who is on Grindr: I have several friends on the app who don’t do much hooking up but do meet lots of new friends. When you smear everyone who is on Grindr, you are no better than the idiot Ms. Hilton. And what’s so bad about having casual sex, anyway? You sound like the Christofascists who hate us. If you don’t want to have hook-ups then don’t. Leave people alone who want to have some fun.
    I guarantee that nobody on their deathbed wishes they had less sex during their lives.

19. Phil says

Wow towelroad is flat out lying in the title of the article, and its origonal article. Why would they stoop so low, it’s like a Fox News lie!

Way to sell yourself short. I’m starting to lose faith in what I read on this site…

Maybe the person writing the article is a grindr gay, and doesn’t want to be identified seperately from the rest of the community???

20. RandySf says

Seriously, pick your battles people.

When someone inconsequential says something bitchy in a cab with her gay friend, it’s not time to glitter bomb them. It’s time to stop being offended by everything.

Grow up.

21. FunMe says

To all the stupid people defending this STUPID WHORE … perhaps some reading skills will help you understand simple words:

“Eeeww, gay guys are the horniest people in the world. They’re disgusting.”

“Dude, most of them probably have AIDS. I would be so scared if I was a gay guy.”

She most certainly did insult all gays. She didn’t say “gays who use Grinder are the … ” She said “most of them”

I hope for now on that SKANKY piece of bs will be persona non grata in the gay community. I would be afraid to have a gay hairdresser, gay waiter or gay assistant if I were her. That’s if any gay would want to be around her.

Furthermore, her “apology” is simply a statement from her PR department. She can go jump in a lake for all I care.

22. Randy says

Go away Paris.

A cab is not a private location.

I can’t believe this support she’s getting in comments. There’s no getting around statements like “I would be so scared if I were a gay guy. You’ll like, die of AIDS”. That’s not a statement about some gay guys. It’s about all of us.

23. Swine says

This is exactly what I said she should do yesterday. One of her gay friends must’ve seen my comment.

I still say this is just her stupid sense of humor. She speaks & acts like a teen — & she’s 31??? Of course she’s an idiot. Is she homophobic? Nah, I don’t believe that.

This was a private conversation & as others said before, she was only referring to Grindr. I kinda agree w/her bout that. Can we stop talkin’ bout huh? She ain’t worth it.

24. Dumb Gays says

I can’t believe some stupid gays on here are STILL defeding this cvnt. She was not “taken out of context”. She’s been recorded before years ago calling some guy a f&ggot. She does not like gays – what will it take for some of you morons to wake the fvck up?! God, what idiots!

25. SayTheTruth says

Well, coming from a convicted felon, a spoiled rich disaster of a woman, a never rehabilitated drunk and junkie, a -by her own laziness- mental disabled ignorant skank, I wouldn’t bother much.
    And no apologies can ever erase the spontaneity of her real ignorant words. I don’t doubt people who chooses to be with her -gays or straight- has many problems of all sorts, so maybe she just confuses the problematic misbehaved filth who supports and surrounds her with the community as a whole.

26. rick scatorum says

Thank u aj, danswon, and others. I said that the real issue is gay men hooking up on grindr and having unprotected sex, on michaelangelo signorile’s show today, not what some bimbo says about us.

Sadly, he Hung up on me because I was “annoying” him. Guess I struck a nerve.

27. Wiggum says

Previously she had been caught on video and tape saying the N. word and derogatory things about African Americans. She is a dumb spoiled entitled girl who thinks about people different than her in completely stereotypical ways. In some ways not unlike Romney’s problems in communicating with regular people. Unlike a politician she is never questioned and can just have someone put out a statement and move on. What I ffind odd and why I am commenting is why is there so much support and sympathy for her here. Her statement was broad and general not narrowed to one person. Any other celeb would have been crucified here, but she gets a pass. I don’t get it.

28. jhr459 says

I agree with Francis – this is a non story. While she may be shallow. vapid and vacuous, I really don’t believe that she is homophobic. Move along, folks – nothing to see here.

29. all says

NO! YOU DO NOT Have the right to sit as a GRAND MARSHALL in a GAY PRIDE PARADE and BE ALLOWED TO SPEW FILTH LIKE THAT!
    No Gay Person out of the approx 1 Million Participants in the 2005 Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade can forget the Controversy when She Was chosen to be the Celebrity Host. Most everyone said she had never done anything for the gay community and did NOT deserve to be sitting up there in her pink convertible. Turns out they were all EXACTLY RIGHT  weren’t they.  Nothing but a fake stupid loser hypocrite! She has just Slapped every person there showing her support in the face!

30. all says

Gay pride parade hails Paris Hilton and mom
    June 11, 2005|Chris Lee | Special to The Times
    When asked to be co-grand marshal of the Los Angeles Gay Pride celebrations this Sunday in West Hollywood, celebutante Paris Hilton answered with her trademark, “That’s hot.”
    But some gay activists are offended that the 24-year-old heiress and her mother, Kathy Hilton, have been chosen as figureheads for an event themed “How Do You Wear Your Pride?”

31. rick scatorum says

Where’s the outrage toward our real enemies who truly damage us: republicans and the catholic church?

And why are we still seroconverting in the numbers we do over three decades into the epidemic?

32. mike flower says

Thank You Towleroad commentors. I just got the memo. Federal Govt face recognition programs & interception of all private telecommunications, good. But recording defamatory comments by, future Chick-fil-A franchisee, Paris Hilton, bad.