Comments

1. kp05 says

It was very telling when the false-news broke of Chick-fil-A backing away from anti-gay donations.

Though we now know that was false, and the company has no such plans, the absolute OUTRAGE by the same crowd who was “eating at Chick-fil-A to support their freedom of speech,” after learning their chicken sandwiches would no longer fund bigotry was alarming. They were mad. They thought the company had lost its morality. A few commenters even said they’d boycott.

So the next time someone wants to tell you they participated in the Chick-fil-A buycott to support the First Amendment, you can say, “fine, now never go again to support basic human equality.” But, it was never about “free” speech. It was always about the speech’s contents.

Chick-fil-A: stop for the chicken, stay for the hate.

2. datlaw says

I haven’t eaten at this place for over 10 years. It is about free speech, and this is how I have chosen to exercise mine. Dan Cathy’s comment of late wasn’t the beginning of the company’s anti-gay hate. That started years ago, and it will take time for the company to change. So if you’re like me – I give my hard earned money only to companies that support marriage equality (as best I can) – then I won’t be eating there anytime soon. But of course, if you want to eat healthy food, don’t eat there anyway. A nice fresh salad with a low-cal dressing is better for you anyway.

3. Gigi says

@2:35 Sad that Steve’s sister, Carol, was sexually abused by her stepfather but he needs to know that Carol didn’t “choose” to be a lesbian because she was abused. This is a popular narrative, especially with the “ex-gay” types – “I was sexually abused, became a drug addicted homo-sex whore…then I found Jeebus” – but it’s simply a falsehood. Other than that I think this is a story that needs to be told. Surely Steve can’t be the only one to feel this way.

4. Chris says

Ironically, the same people who are “defending” Chick-fil-A’s right to Freedom of speech, were the same people who wanted The Dixie Chicks dead a few years ago.

I’m still so upset that the media has pretty much failed at reporting that it’s not really the opposition to same-sex marriage that has gotten us angry, it’s their donations to hate groups.

5. Paul says

I’m very disappointed in the media coverage of this whole issue from the onset. Even you Andy, with the initial story on Towleroad, failed to disclose the true reasons for the boycott and instead led people to believe that it was a result of Dan Cathy’s July 16 statements, rather than ongoing company donations to known hate groups from as early as 2003. Major networks picked up on your story and seemed to be oblivious of that fact and instead reported from the standpoint that LGBT people and their supporters were just a bunch of intolerant hypocrites.

6. Isaac says

@Paul I don’t know if it was Andy’s fault but I completely agree that the media didn’t say a damn thing about the donations to groups involved with mental abuse of gays (pray the gay away groups). They fund hate groups with money they get from those terrible sandwiches and that is why LGBT people have a problem with them.

7. Bob says

This man is a saint and a real Christian who knows that ALL people are God’s children. The chicken fools are not real Christians they are trouble makers stirring up the pot for profit and attention. God created all men, gay and straight and loves the all, that is the real Christian God.

8. Icebloo says

This guy is an IDIOT. CFA didn’t just become gay hating right wing extremists – they have ALWAYS been that way. That’s why I have NEVER eaten there.

Has this moron been asleep for all these years he worked there ?

In the words of Samuel L Jackson – “Wake the fu5k up !”.

9. JellyBean says

College students were aware of their donation several years ago. I was hearing of boycotts then, but not much was being said, or done about giving them support, by the gay community.

10. TheDude says

CFA’s link to hate groups and their gay hate dates back to the 80’s. Every time I read an article on CFA and comments about CFA I’m disgusted that gay people in particular don’t know this. We boycotted CFA and Cracker Barrel when I lived in NV way back in the 80’s.

Why are we so politically disorganized that we don’t even know who the corporate enemies of our people are; their history, and the misery, the donations to candidates and hate groups they’ve made for DECADES, with the intent to not merely oppress us, but to outright encourage people to harm/kill us ?

11. Keith says

These is so much misinformation and exagerration about CFA’s donations to “hate groups”. Only $1000 each was donated to FRC and Exodus, and not millions as has been reported here by gay activists and other left-wing publications.

The truth is that millions were donated by CFA to pro-marriage groups who are committed to saving marriages in crisis through counseling and conflict resolution. These organizations are pro-marriage; not anti-gay. There is a difference.

12. Keith says

I’m just saying there has been a lot of misinformation and exaggeration to incite hostility and hatered toward CFA. As a gay person I’m sure you wouldn’t want misinformation and exaggeration written about you, so why would you want it written about Mr. Cathy and CFA?

13. Keith says

I have known the Cathy family for over 40 years. I spoke face-to-face with billionaire founder and CEO Truett Cathy last month (Aug. 26th), and I have spoken to his son, Dan (President), and other family members on many occasions. So, I know them personally.

On the other hand, those in this forum only know what they have read in an article or posted in some blog. Many “jumped on the bandwagon” against Mr. Cathy and CFA like “blind lemmings” because they thought it might somehow further their personal, social or political agenda. But, they don’t know them. They took in all the propaganda “hook, line and sinker”.

Here is the real truth: The Cathy’s are some of the most loving and generous people you will find on the planet. Regardless of who you are, they will treat you with utmost honor, dignity and respect.

It is time to stop the slander and hateful attacks because they don’t deserve it. Respectfully.

14. Coyote says

@Keith it’s not slander to say that CFA supports hate groups, it’s fact. Nor is it slander to say that CFA uses the money it makes to promote their personal, social or political agenda. I may not know the Cathy’s personally, but I know them by their behavior, and by that behavior they can be judged bigots.

15. says

Wow, looks like it’s time for me to change my username.

@Keith – While what you say maybe true about Dan Cathy and his family being loving and generous, you’re also letting your personal interaction with them cloud the facts. While it’s his right to donate and advocate for the causes he believes is just, we also have the right to spread awareness about it, discuss what it means, and not purchase from his business.

16. Keith says

Liberal Democratic President Bill Clinton, along with both houses of congress in 1996, voted and signed into law the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defining marriage as the union between one man and one woman.

President Barack Obama affirmed the same when running for Senator in 2004 when he stated, “I’m Christian. I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.” Later, he reaffirmed the same belief in 2006, and when running for president in 2008.

17. tonyjazz says

Obviously, Kevin is likely lying. How could anyone say this purveyor of hatred towards us is a decent guy?

Maybe Kevin has a poor definition of good moral character….

18. Lymis says

“So, why is Mr. Cathy and Chick-fil-A being attacked when his position on traditional marriage is the same as all US Presidents throughout the history of our nation? ”

Because your claim is horsecrap.

And, the presidents who actually did speak out against gay equality have been condemned for it. The gay community has ripped Clinton for signing that bill ever since he did it. He was wrong then.

If you think that Obama’s position on marriage and LGBT equality is “the same” as Dan Cathy’s you are seriously unhinged.

19. Rob says

@Keith, You’re stretching the facts there. That an organization is pro-marriage doesn’t mean they’re automatically not also anti-gay; most of those “pro-marriage” groups are, in fact, anti-gay and are involved themselves in or have heavily donated to anti-equality legislation.

That only a couple thousand dollars have been donated to the most egregious anti-gay groups is immaterial. Millions more were donated to other, less visible anti-gay groups.

And that’s to say nothing of the fact that Chick-Fil-A’s supposed “charity” arm spent more money on lobby groups than any actual charity, AND more money on lobbying than the foster homes they claim are their primary cause.

20. NeverEclipsed81 says

This is something I’ve been waiting for because I suspect this is happening quite often. If you think of all the 20 year old hourly employees who either quit, or expressed frustration over this and felt forced out. It may not be the whole reason some quit, but enough of a factor to be significant. I wish more would come forward because there’s probably way more than people expect.

21. says

it really was one of the most embarrassingly ugly moments in recent american history.

a bunch of ugly hateful bigots getting their families together to go buy chicken sandwiches …. all because they’re bonding over a hatred of gay people.

truly. this was a low low LOW moment for the country.

22. Keith says

“Hate”, “hate group”, “bigot”, “intolerant” and “homophobe” – Overused buzz-words used by homosexual activists to defame anyone that does not agree with them on the issue of homosexuality and same-sex “marriage”.

23. Grover Underwood says

Yet again I ask, why doesn’t someone ban obvious trolls like Keith; he’s lying out his ass about Chick-fil-a and their support of hate groups and their active participation in attempting to deny gays and lesbians basic human rights such as marriage