Barack Obama | Bill clinton | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | News

BigGayDeal.com

6 of Bill Clinton's Best Moments from Last Night's Speech: VIDEOS

B_clinton

Here are six of Bill Clinton's best moments from last night's speech. Watch it in full HERE.

PAUL RYAN'S LIES ON MEDICARE

"So — so President Obama and the Democrats didn’t weaken Medicare; they strengthened Medicare. Now, when Congressman Ryan looked into that TV camera and attacked President Obama’s Medicare savings as, quote, the biggest, coldest power play, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry — because that $716 billion is exactly, to the dollar, the same amount of Medicare savings that he has in his own budget. You got to get one thing — it takes some brass to attack a guy for doing what you did."

THE DAMAGE OBAMA FOUND

"Listen to me, now. No president — no president, not me, not any of my predecessors, no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years. Now — but  — he has — he has laid the foundation for a new, modern, successful economy of shared prosperity. And if you will renew the president’s contract, you will feel it. You will feel it."

USING REAGAN'S LINE

"They want to cut taxes for high- income Americans, even more than President Bush did. They want to get rid of those pesky financial regulations designed to prevent another crash and prohibit future bailouts. They want to actually increase defense spending over a decade $2 trillion more than the Pentagon has requested without saying what they’ll spend it on. And they want to make enormous cuts in the rest of the budget, especially programs that help the middle class and poor children. As another president once said, there they go again."

THE REPUBLICAN PLAN

"Now, when you say, what are you going to do about this $5 trillion you just added on? They say, oh, we’ll make it up by eliminating loopholes in the tax code. So then you ask, well, which loopholes, and how much? You know what they say? See me about that after the election. (Laughter.) I’m not making it up. That’s their position. See me about that after the election. Now, people ask me all the time how we got four surplus budgets in a row. What new ideas did we bring to Washington? I always give a one-word answer: Arithmetic."

WELFARE REFORM LIES, FACT-CHECKERS

“I am telling you the claim that President Obama weakened welfare reform’s work requirement is just not true. But they keep on running the ads claiming it. You want to know why? Their campaign pollster said, we are not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers. Now, finally I can say, that is true. I — I couldn’t have said it better myself."

'OBAMACARE'

"Now, that brings me to health care. And the Republicans call it, derisively, “Obamacare.” They say it’s a government takeover, a disaster, and that if we’ll just elect them, they’ll repeal it. Well, are they right?...Now, finally, listen to this. For the last two years — after going up at three times the rate of inflation for a decade, for the last two years health care costs have been under 4 percent in both years for the first time in 50 years.

Comments

1. He was long and boring. Have the rating come out this morning considering he was up against a football game and Honey Boo-Boo?

If Bubba is a miracle worker he really should have tried to work some magic with your Marcy D'Arcy Senate candidate from Massachusetts. Yikes. I understand even the Kennedy men are voting Scott Brown.

Posted by: Markus | Sep 6, 2012 8:46:28 AM

2. My only disappointment with Clinton's speech was the fact that he, unlike most of the speakers, made no mention of gay rights.

@Markus, delusion is funny but mental illness isn't. I don't know whether to laugh at you or feel sorry for you. I'm gonna go with laughing at you!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 6, 2012 9:30:26 AM

3. Clinton makes it simple: Obama put a floor under the crash.

Posted by: trees | Sep 6, 2012 9:46:30 AM

4. My God. Who the F watches this cr*p [I'm referring to both Dem. and Repub. conventions]? All preening, silly 'radicals' [on the far left and far right], and just all around boring as hell. And yes, Bill was boring. Never mind the fact he was responsible for many of the serious economic problems we have now [along with many Republicans including the 2 Bushes].

Marcus is right; Scott Brown is going easily beat Liz Warren in MA.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 10:02:42 AM

5. One of the most amazing speeches I've ever heard in my life.

Posted by: Trust | Sep 6, 2012 10:31:26 AM

6. I thought it wasn't boring. Bill gives good speeches. The interesting part is, why?

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 6, 2012 10:39:33 AM

7. Add, why Bill Clinton today supports Obama, four yrs ago it would have been impossible.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 6, 2012 10:40:11 AM

8. @RATBASTARD ok, I'll call you on this one: please, tell us just how Bill Clinton was responsible for the serious economic problems we have now.

C'mon, Rat. Tell us.

Put down that National Enquirer and enlighten us with all your facts.

Rat? RAT?

Uh, we're waiting!

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 6, 2012 10:41:53 AM

9. Just when the Republicans were trying to recover from Michelle's speech, along comes ol' Bill, knocking it out of the park. Long, yes--he's Clinton. Boring, ah, the Republicans wish, since the only memorable moment at the Repub convention was the old mixed-up dude talking to the chair. Bill was electric. I'd forgotten just how great Clinton is at talking about policy--masterful.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 6, 2012 10:46:10 AM

10. He knocked it out of the park. Dismantled every lie that the Right has been saying for the last four years. You know it was good because apparently all the Right has is "it was long and boring". Yeah, it probably is boring when to have someone talk to you at a level above fifth grade, and long for anyone who can't comprehend political arguments that don't fit on a bumper sticker.

Posted by: Mikemike | Sep 6, 2012 10:59:04 AM

11. Clinton did a great job, the only ones who could be bored are bores.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 6, 2012 11:18:06 AM

12. Four More Years indeed!

Posted by: secret identity | Sep 6, 2012 11:34:40 AM

13. I love that the ones calling it boring and lame are Markus and Ratbastard. Aka, THE USUAL SUSPECTS. Where's Jason, I wonder?

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 6, 2012 11:54:40 AM

14. Incredible! I was just mesmerized by Clinton's speech.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Sep 6, 2012 12:14:45 PM

15. the dem convention exists in stark contrast to the GOP one.

the GOP nonsense bigotry rhetoric for the plebeian masses.

the Dems gettin' it done.

this is one for the history books.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 6, 2012 12:25:00 PM

16. Yes Jamal,

Bill was one of the best friends Wall St and Goldman Sachs ever had. He de-regulated the financial services industry, and greatly enhanced 'free' trade with China,in addition to helping them into the WTO. These are just a few of the things he did.

Barack is just as bad. So isn't Romney and so wasn't both Bushes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 2:29:42 PM

17. 1applaudmrmrclintonsspeechitwasthebestinalongtimeveryinterestingspeechtherepublicansneedtotakeapagefrombillclintonheknowswhatheissayingandiioopercentsupportit;;

Posted by: lindasmith | Sep 6, 2012 5:37:04 PM

18. i really would like to
    thank mr clinton for such an electricifying, magnificient, amazing,wonderful and eloquentspeech well done sir ke
    ep up the good work.

Posted by: lindasmith | Sep 6, 2012 5:54:11 PM

19. I wish this site published the names of posters before their posts so that I can spare myself reading halfway down and wondering why this person seems completely out of touch before finding out it's one of our resident trolls

Bill Clinton is like our FDR