News | Space

BigGayDeal.com

Dad Teaches Tot About Great Big World with Toy Train's Trip to Space: VIDEO

Train

I've had this video for a few days but haven't had a chance to post it. Ron Fugelseth wins a 'Dad of the Year' award imho:

On Aug 24th 2012 we sent my son's favorite train "Stanley" to space in a weather balloon with a HD camera and an old cell phone for GPS. He was recovered 27 miles away in a corn field and we got some great footage of the trip. This video documents the journey from liftoff to landing.

My 4 year old and Stanley are inseparable like Calvin and Hobbes. He's been attached to him since he was two, and they play, sleep and do everything together. I animated Stanley's face with After Effects and Photoshop to bring him to life how I imagine my son sees him.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Train2

Comments

1. Fine, adorable. But this folksy whistly soundtrack meme for all things straight and cute needs to be kiboshed.

Parents: teach your kids about the wonders of Rock n Roll. For the sake of the nation.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Sep 26, 2012 2:08:37 PM

2. PS What he didn't tell his kid is that having been exposed to space, "Stanley" is now a radioactive mutant toy with eyelids and feelings.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Sep 26, 2012 2:11:47 PM

3. that was cool!! and daddy is cute!!! :)

Posted by: matt | Sep 26, 2012 2:13:54 PM

4. I wish I had had a cool father like that.

Posted by: jht | Sep 26, 2012 2:29:43 PM

5. I liked how the train made faces and blinked

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 26, 2012 2:47:02 PM

6. Would he have been criminally charged if that thing landed on a car or a house or a person? Seems dangerous!

Posted by: Jay | Sep 26, 2012 2:49:43 PM

7. He watched weather patterns and planned the launch so it would land in corn fields.

Cool dad.

Posted by: endo | Sep 26, 2012 3:00:32 PM

8. The bad music, the radioactivity, the danger... Cmon guys! The dad sent the kid's favorite freaking toy to SPACE!! How many of us can claim our dad did something that cool for us just to teach us stuff. I don't think my dad even knew what my favorite toy was! Dad of the Year to me too!

Posted by: AJ | Sep 26, 2012 3:02:23 PM

9. @ AJ THANK YOU!!!

Seriously one of the coolest thing i have seen a dad do for his son in a long time.

Posted by: RandyOwen | Sep 26, 2012 3:09:18 PM

10. Dad of the year as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: fritzrth | Sep 26, 2012 3:41:52 PM

11. Cute kid- glad the train made it back safely to earth.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 26, 2012 5:31:06 PM

12. Great. This innocuous toy has probably brought the modern-day intergalactic plague upon us. Andromedy strains are always hovering at the stratopause just waiting to hitch a ride down to dear ol' unsuspecting Earth. We'll be bleeding out our eyes by Xmas.

Posted by: Uisce | Sep 26, 2012 5:41:35 PM

13. Was that a Subaru commercial?

Posted by: squeezit | Sep 26, 2012 5:44:53 PM

14. For those that mention the possible danger, he's stated that he called the FAA 15 minutes before launch (as they ask people to do), and that he studied the weather patterns for two months(!) to make sure it would land in a safe area.

Also, he says that his son has gone through four Stanleys, so far, so I'm sure the father has a supply stored away somewhere safe.

His dad has other videos of his son and the train doing other things at his YouTube channel.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 26, 2012 5:50:18 PM

15. Whew. I'm glad Stanley made it back safely. I would have hated to see that boy's cute little face when he's crying his eyes out. Nice video; awesome dad.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 26, 2012 6:43:13 PM

16. The only thing my Dad went out of his way to teach me was that he had plenty of guns and bullets and would shoot any kid of his that turned out to be a dirty queer. Yeah, this kid in the vid is VERY lucky indeed!

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Sep 27, 2012 12:30:59 AM

17. I think dad might have had more fun than his son! Cool father indeed. Glad the boy got his toy back, too! :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Sep 27, 2012 5:03:04 AM

18. That was so cool. It always makes me happy to see the close bond between a father and a son.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 27, 2012 7:33:03 AM

19. That was so cool. It always makes me happy to see the close bond between a father and a son.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 27, 2012 7:33:04 AM

20. 2 Cool. Wonder how much it all cost?
    Great music & video.....................

Posted by: John | Sep 27, 2012 9:12:11 AM