Ann Coulter | News | Twitter

Ann Coulter Announces 'Disown Your Son' (for Being Gay) Day

Tweet_coulter

Coulter tweets: "Last Thursday was national 'coming out' day. This Monday is national 'disown your son' day."

GLAAD reacts:

I recognize that this is a joke, and that she is not really taken seriously in any context anyway, but with this coming right after National Coming Out Day, at the start of Ally Week and just days before Spirit Day, I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk about this idea of hers. There was a time in our culture's history when, if thousands of LGBT kids were to come out on the same day, the next week genuinely would be exactly what Ann describes, all across the country. Fathers disowning their sons and kicking them out onto the street. Mothers locking up their daughters or sending them to charm school. Children forced to undergo electro-shock or even worse forms of "therapy" to rid themselves of their orientation. To learn how to not be true to themselves.

And although we've come a long way from those ideas as a cultural collective, I have no doubt that last week, more than a few American households experienced the tragedy that Ann joked about. Approximately 50% of LGBT youth experience some degree of family rejection. There are as many as 100 thousand homeless LGBT youth on our nation's streets, and it's estimated that LGBT youth make up as much as 40% of our nation's homeless youth population. LGBT youth who are completely rejected by their parents are more than 8 times as likely to have attempted suicide. Pretty funny, right?

(h/t truth wins out)

Comments

1. And the GOProud crew loves her. Jesus.

Posted by: Cris | Oct 16, 2012 11:34:56 AM

2. Just remember folks, life could be worse. You could be Ann Coulter. Or one of her parents.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 16, 2012 11:35:11 AM

3. She could be a little more specific. Are we disowning for murder? Dealing drugs? Legitimate rape? Republicanism?

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Oct 16, 2012 11:35:29 AM

4. And when is "Throw a steaming bucket of crap on Ann Coulter" Day?

Posted by: johnny | Oct 16, 2012 11:36:54 AM

5. Ughhh. Honestly- I wanna find one of those lil GOP-ers and point to this and say- "is she really on your/our/any gay person'a side?" and if she's just joking, then we should all make horrible misogynist/sexist jokes about her- horrible as I do find that kind- cuz we're all just joking

Seriously, I'm getting tired of Ann Coulter saying outlandish things. Then saying she's joking, and then whining when a liberal person does the same thing and goes too far. Either hate us for real or stop doing real-hate disguised as ironic "faux-hate" - have some courage woman. At least Maggie Gallagher and Bryan Fischer stand their assertions about how horrible/diseased/demon-possessed/abominable/culture-wrecking/nation-destroying we are.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 16, 2012 11:38:12 AM

6. If I were her son, that would be the best gift she could give me.

Posted by: acorlando | Oct 16, 2012 11:39:26 AM

7. Oh, isn't she clever? Isn't she witty? No, not at all. What she is, is the queen of the fame whores and she will say anything for attention. I vote we give this harridan the last thing she wants. Declare her irrelevant and ignore her from now on.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 16, 2012 11:41:02 AM

8. How about Ann Coulter sterilization day? This woman should never be allow to procreate!

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Oct 16, 2012 11:41:48 AM

9. Its parents must be so proud. Does it even have parents?

re Johnny: that would be every day of the year. All 365 of them.

Posted by: hugo | Oct 16, 2012 11:42:18 AM

10. I really try not to use this word, but Ann Coulter is a c*unt. If ever that word was appropriate, this is it.

Hopefully I'll be around to celebrate Ann Coulter Dead In A Ditch day.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 16, 2012 11:45:14 AM

11. Her lack of empathy borders on sociopathy. As we used to say in the '70s: She's not a well woman.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Oct 16, 2012 11:49:30 AM

12. Wow! I only have three questions:-
    1) How do such people get to born as human.
    2) How come no one has yet tried to kill her. (I'm not asking the glbt, but I'm pretty sure she would be equally annoying to her straight neighbours)
    3)From where does such idea come to her? She's mindless!

Posted by: Markus | Oct 16, 2012 11:52:37 AM

13. Don't fret, think of karma. Bad things will surely come to the Three Witches of the Republican party: this ibitch, Sarah what's-'er-face and Michellish Bachmann.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Oct 16, 2012 11:53:09 AM

14. She is not a happy person. That is why she's such a fame whore and says things she knows will result in controversy. She feeds off of insulting others. It's completely pathetic....she is completely pathetic.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 16, 2012 11:53:54 AM

15. Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Posted by: Larry-bob | Oct 16, 2012 11:55:03 AM

16. I dont care what that whore says, but I m more into why cant people Just shoot her in the streets?
    I would proudly go to jail and suffer my life in prison if I can exorcise the Republican party and the Fundamentalists from the US.

Posted by: Subhankar Zac | Oct 16, 2012 11:59:28 AM

17. I dont care what that whore says, but I m more into why cant people Just shoot her in the streets?

Posted by: Subhankar Zac | Oct 16, 2012 11:59:29 AM

18. I did not watch the O'Reilly/Stewart debate, but O'Reilly did make the point that capitalism drives this type of drivel. That is, saying outrageous things drives ratings. (I'm not sure if he included himself in that.) The difficulty is that not everyone knows this little tidbit....people don't know that Rush, Bill, AND ANN are being outrageous for ratings. Also the victims of these outrageous statements get trampled in the meantime.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 16, 2012 11:59:49 AM

19. @LARRY-BOB Bingo!

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 16, 2012 12:02:56 PM

20. Enough already...she's a publicity whore is all this is. She has a new book out she's needs to sells as it is tanking

Posted by: Phil | Oct 16, 2012 12:05:35 PM

21. "There was a time in our culture's history when, if thousands of LGBT kids were to come out on the same day, the next week genuinely would be exactly what Ann describes, all across the country."

For the T, it still is that time.

Posted by: Annetta Gaiman | Oct 16, 2012 12:07:26 PM

22. Let's all disown Annie. She's an old jalopy and we might as well put her to rest. She's run out of gas and she's a rusty old gal whose time is past. Much like an old cow, put her out to pasture until the goddess takes her!

Posted by: Steve | Oct 16, 2012 12:10:01 PM

23. Horrible woman.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Oct 16, 2012 12:11:56 PM

24. Her penchant for outrageous disinhibited remarks is pathonomonic for bipolar disease.

I'm sure she's disinhibited in the sack, which is why Bill Maher continues to like her.

Posted by: peter | Oct 16, 2012 12:12:11 PM

25. Her insensitivity is tragic- as is her visibility. We have inadequate shelter beds for LGBT youth, inadequate counseling and support resources for meeting the needs of LGBTQ youth cast out of their family homes, and research tells us that the foster care experience for many LGBTQ youth is damaging. Her quip reinforces the idea that these are disposable children and that being LGBTQ makes someone less of a person. Oh, yes, Ann, you are so cool.

Posted by: QuERI | Oct 16, 2012 12:14:44 PM