2012 Election | Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Lena Dunham | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Girls' Creator Lena Dunham Compares Voting Obama to Losing Virginity in Suggestive Campaign Ad: VIDEO

Lena_dunham

CNN reports that this ad from Girls creator Lena Dunham for the Obama campaign has conservatives "collectively gasping".

Your first time shouldn't be with just anybody. You want to do it with a great guy. It should be with a guy with beautiful… somebody who really cares about and understands women.

A guy who cares about whether you get health insurance, and specifically whether you get birth control. The consequences are huge. You want to do it with a guy who brought the troops out of Iraq. You don't want a guy who says, "Oh hey, I'm at the library studying," when he's really out not signing the Lilly Ledbetter Act. Or who thinks that gay people should never have beautiful complicated weddings of the kind we see on Bravo or TLC all the time...

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Two weeks ago, Dunham showed her support of marriage equality and Obama via a powerful Instagram photo.

Comments

1. This is great.

Posted by: CHAD | Oct 26, 2012 8:38:57 AM

2. It's an ugly ad and Lena Dunham looks hideous in it. This is what happens when you give a hack access to a camera. If she's trying to lose votes for Obama, she's doing a good job of it.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 8:50:35 AM

3. Fantastic!

Posted by: BenR | Oct 26, 2012 8:51:03 AM

4. I love her and I absolutely LOVE "Girls". January cannot come soon enough!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 26, 2012 8:54:16 AM

5. Oh, and did I also mention tha Girls is a ratings flop. Too many rich girls pretending to be poor New Yorkers...just doesn't sit well with those who don't like hypocrisy.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 8:57:15 AM

6. Jason's basic point of view is that women should sit at home wearing a burka and never speak. He apparently finds Lena unattractive, so attacks her for that. If he found the woman attractive, though, he'd call her a whore using her looks to get ahead. Fortunately, the women voters this ad is targeting aren't superficial, misogynistic idiots like Jason.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 26, 2012 8:58:41 AM

7. Brian,

The simple fact is that people like Lena will lose votes for Obama. Her attitude is ugly and a turn-off to middle America. I certainly don't want creepy Lena speaking for my rights as a member of the community.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 9:01:44 AM

8. Conservatives, just like religious fundamentalists (same thing), have no sense of humour...

Posted by: stingo | Oct 26, 2012 9:02:33 AM

9. This ad is in very poor taste and it's hard to see how the president and his advisors wouldn't be aware of it. The motive? All I can think of is that Obama is panicking that Romney may be pulling ahead and is now trying anything he can think of to increase Democratic turnout. I'm hoping Romney will do the decent thing and not try to capitalize on this embarassing blunder.

Posted by: Mary | Oct 26, 2012 9:06:31 AM

10. Jason,

You don't want any woman speaking for your rights, or speaking for that matter. You've made that abundantly clear for years with anti-women diatribes every single time a woman appears in a post. To pretend that an antisocial creature like you has any inkling what middle america wants is laughable.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 26, 2012 9:08:44 AM

11. Get a life and/or some chill meds, Jason. You're really a much nicer person when you're not lurking under bridges.

There's a fine line between being naturally contentious and provocatively controversial and simply trying too hard and being a bore.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Oct 26, 2012 9:12:51 AM

12. Brian,

Well, I can't imagine that an independent voter - which is whom Obama is aiming for - will be swayed by Lena's ugly and juvenile attitude. If this ad was made for the Democrats, they need to pull it immediately. It suggests the Dems and/or Obama have lost the plot.

Not a good sign for Obama.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 9:14:10 AM

13. Does Andy and his team not realize how simple it would be to implement Disqus commenting with up/down voting? Jason's trolling would be over immediately, and this site could go back to having interesting discussions.

Posted by: endo | Oct 26, 2012 9:21:05 AM

14. I can't vote for blacks because I hate any reminder of how microscopic my penis is.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 9:21:21 AM

15. Jason & Mary:

has it occured to y'all that this ad will not be aired on television networks that conservative Republican idiots watch. It will be aimed at a certain audience, and will be aired on networks/TV shows that cater to that audience.

Lord, I surely don't want to get over-confident, but it's the conservative Republicans who are panicking. They are terrified that Romney may win the popular vote but lose the Electoral College count to the President. Remember 2000? Payback is a b.tch, aint it?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 26, 2012 9:23:00 AM

16. You do realize the Republicans are running with this and super giddy?

We'll see if it survives to Monday. If it does, I apologize.

:-)

Posted by: MarkUs | Oct 26, 2012 9:26:08 AM

17. The JASON who made the comment about blacks and penises above is NOT the JASON who is frequently attacked on this board. It's a troll impersonating me.

You can tell it's a TROLL because the language standard is diminished compared to mine. I happen to be a highly educated person with a lot of experience in life who calls a spade a spade in eloquent terms.

There ought to be a TROLL spray in the same way there is fly spray to reduce the prevalence of impostors.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 9:30:22 AM

18. Know what my Republican family hopes doesn't survive to Monday? Me.

Posted by: MarkUs | Oct 26, 2012 9:30:44 AM

19. You guys are missing the point: "Wow! That was a really thought-provoking and truthful political ad that really made me change my mind about who I am voting for!" said no one EVER.

Lena and "Girls" still rocks. "Sex and the City" was a ratings disappointment in its first season too. It came back and dominated with Season Two. I expect "Girls" to do the same.

And on trolling idiots like Jason and Mary: IGNORE IT AND IT GOES AWAY. People that respond to the trolls are just as bad. Just stop.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 26, 2012 9:30:54 AM

20. Context, people. These advertisements aren't for you and me. We're here. We already know who we're voting for. They will be used on the appropriate audiences. They won't be aired during the Sunday cartoons. It's the same as the President saying "bullsh!tter" in Rolling Stone. Context, setting, audience. Keep on clutching those pearls if you wish, Jason.

Posted by: kp05 | Oct 26, 2012 9:30:56 AM

21. KP05,

The strategy of Obama should be to win the independent voters. He ain't going to do it with silly Lena. Lena is ridiculous and will scare voters away from Obama. If I were Romney, I'd be pleading with the Dems to keep playing this stupid ad.

Posted by: jason | Oct 26, 2012 9:34:42 AM

22. It's a good Ad. I liked it.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 26, 2012 9:36:24 AM

23. Interesting.
    They actually stole it from a pro-Putin campaign: "The first time for love"

Posted by: KevinVT | Oct 26, 2012 9:53:41 AM

24. I don't know why Jason/Rick even bothers to come here and annoy us with his ridiculous misogyny. He'd get much more positive feedback for his women hate on datalounge, where they call women fish or frau.

Posted by: Bernadette | Oct 26, 2012 11:54:01 AM

25. This Lena Dunham guy is all over the place.

Posted by: Randall | Oct 26, 2012 12:07:42 PM