Film | News | Republican Party

'Gayby' Clip Skewers Gay Republicans: VIDEO

Gayby

Back in July 2011 I highlighted a Kickstarter project from filmmaker Jonathan Lisecki, who hoped to turn his award-winning short film Gayby (about a gay man having a baby with his best girlfriend) into a feature film. Well, the project is now complete and opening in limited release (it has had screenings over Pride weekend as well) over the next couple of weeks.

Here's a very brief scene the filmmakers sent over. It's the main character Matt (Matthew Wilkas) and his friend Nelson (writer-director Lisecki) musing over the variety of groups/communities/options on offer at their local LGBT (or in this case, LGBTQA) center.

Check it out along with the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

The movie opens at Cinema Village in New York on Friday (10/12) and in L.A. on 10/26.

And here's the trailer:

Comments

1. `I saw GAYBY at a festival in Kansas city in June. It is well acted, has attractive people in it, and is funny. See it!

Posted by: gregory brown | Oct 8, 2012 6:51:10 PM

2. I saw this movie last Thursday at the Out on Film Festival associated with Atlanta Pride. The audience (myself included) laughed almost non-stop. The writing is very tight. I'll also say their choice of shirtless men is nice as well.

If you get a chance to see it, do so!

ps- And take a straight friend, they'll probably like it too.

Posted by: Jason M | Oct 8, 2012 7:06:24 PM

3. a couple of those actors are also in HBO's GIRLS. When is this in San Fran? Says Nov TBD on site.

Posted by: me | Oct 8, 2012 7:33:32 PM

4. a couple of those actors are also in HBO's GIRLS. When is this in San Fran? Says Nov TBD on site.

Posted by: me | Oct 8, 2012 7:33:34 PM

5. If those two lisping queens represent the Democrat party, then I'm glad to be a gay Republican.

Posted by: ? | Oct 8, 2012 7:33:50 PM

6. Gayby already went to SF for the screening, but should be back this weekend I believe. It's a phenomenal film with super talented Matthew Wilkas. I think I love him. check it out.

Posted by: josh | Oct 8, 2012 7:53:59 PM

7. I'm so glad ? is a Republican, because that means he hates himself enough that he won't be on this Earth much longer. The world will be a better place without his femmaphobia.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 8, 2012 8:08:39 PM

8. thanks to "?" for proving once again that gay republicans have capers for testes

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 8, 2012 8:10:54 PM

9. "Jenn" in this movie is played by Jenn Harris, who has spent the last year or so playing "Clarice Staring" in "Silence! The Musical", which is a brilliant parody of "Silence of the Lambs".

She's wonderful.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Oct 8, 2012 8:54:55 PM

10. Oh ?, we're glad you're a gay Republican to, every community needs to have someone to laugh at.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 8, 2012 9:14:16 PM

11. The movie is hysterical, charming and if you see Jenn Harris' wall-climbing sex scene without nearly choking to death laughing, you just aren't paying attention.

By the way, I'd normally fault a director for giving himself all of the best lines, but when you're as funny as Lisecki is in delivering them, I'll forgive you.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Oct 8, 2012 9:38:18 PM

12. ?: You act as if there aren't "lisping queens" in the Republican party. Don't tell me you've never noticed Senator Lindsey Graham, for one glaring example.

At least *our* "lisping queens" aren't closet cases who vote against us.

Posted by: RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) | Oct 8, 2012 11:35:51 PM

13. Requirements for being a gay Republican:
    No lisping.
    No fats.
    No fems.
    Straight acting only.
    Straight appearing only.
    And there's a dress code. If you can't adhere to it, stay in the closet, and keep that door shut!
    If you don't own a gun, pretend that you do.
    Never be obvious (you know what I mean).
    *(I was going to be satirical, but I think this is actually true.)

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 8, 2012 11:39:58 PM

14. Here's a very brief scene the filmmakers sent over.

Posted by: Leeanne Kirkwood | Oct 9, 2012 4:30:02 AM

15. Seems nice, and a bit amateurish (or "indie" if you prefer) but not that much, for once.

The gay best friend is also very, very good looking.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Oct 9, 2012 5:23:50 AM

16. Requirements for being a gay movie:
    Lisping.
    Fems.
    No straight acting.
    No straight appearing.
    And there's a dess code. If you can't adhere to it, stay out of the village and away from the bars!
    If you don't own a hag, have a nympho chick at least.
    Never be subtle.