Ali Forney | Carl Siciliano | Hurricane Sandy | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ali Forney Center For LGBT Youth Destroyed By Sandy

Ali_Forney_flood_insertThis is a huge blow to an already bloated, under-funded network of support for homeless or displaced LGBT youth here in New York City: the Ali Forney Center on 22nd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues was completely flooded during last week's Hufficane Sandy.

From executive director Carl Siciliano:

Yesterday we were finally able to inspect our drop-in center in Chelsea, half a block from the Hudson River. Our worst fears were realized; everything was destroyed and the space is uninhabitable. The water level went four feet high, destroying our phones, computers, refrigerator, food and supplies.

This is a terrible tragedy for the homeless LGBT youth we serve there. This space was dedicated to our most vulnerable kids, the thousands stranded on the streets without shelter, and was a place where they received food, showers, clothing, medical care, HIV testing and treatment, and mental health and substance abuse services. Basically a lifeline for LGBT kids whose lives are in danger.

We are currently scrambling for a plan to provide care to these desperate kids while we prepare to ultimately move into a larger space that will better meet our needs. The NYC LGBT Center has very kindly and generously offered to let us temporarily use some of their space, and we hope to determine the viability of that on Monday.

We have been deluged with kind offers from people who wish to volunteer and donate goods. Unfortunately, we will have to provide our services in the time being in much smaller spaces that won't accommodate volunteers or allow for much storage space. The best way people can reach out to help in this very challenging time is by making monetary donations. Please go to our website.

It is heartbreaking to see this space come to such a sad end. For the past seven years it has been a place of refuge to thousands of kids reeling from being thrown away by their parents for being LGBT. For many of these kids coming to our drop-in center provided  their first encounter with a loving and affirming LGBT community. I thank all of you for your care and support in a most difficult time.

Those of you who want to donate to help the center rebuild should click HERE.

[Image via Washington Blade]

Comments

1. Just made a donation!

Posted by: Jean de Florette | Nov 4, 2012 9:46:06 AM

2. So did I.

Posted by: MichaeJ | Nov 4, 2012 9:57:10 AM

3. I understand accessibility, needs, and even security issues, but the fact is Manhattan may just be too expensive a place for the center to be located in. There are considerably less expensive locations in the other boroughs, some not far from Manhattan, where a dollar can be stretched a lot farther.

====================

To extrapolate a little, as far as charities in general are concerned, all the major ones performed pretty abysmally during this incident, special honors to the Red Cross for their p*ss poor response. Many people have become quite leery of 'giving' for this reason. There appears to be endless scandals involving non-profits and charities and how they manage and spend their $.

Likewise, FEMA's response has been abysmal.

BIG $$$ is given to non-profits and charities by private donors, and governments, and a big question still unanswered is where does most of the $ go? Because both public and private organizations generally come up far short when the SHTF.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 10:35:13 AM

4. "Manhattan may just be too expensive a place for the center to be located in."

This reminds me of the lady who wanted to move the deer crossings where they are safer.

Here's a summary of FEMA's "abysmal response":

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Nov 4, 2012 10:47:41 AM

5. I don't think "bloated" means what you think it means. I think "bloated" and "under-funded" are mutually exclusive concepts here.

Posted by: Jersey | Nov 4, 2012 10:58:26 AM

6. We don't want you, your time, or your stuff. Just stick a dollar in our thong, please.

Typical.

Posted by: Gimme a Dolluh. | Nov 4, 2012 11:10:28 AM

7. 'Services tend to be located where they are required, not where they are cheap or convenient.'

My comment:

'I understand ACCESSIBILITY, needs, and even security issues...There are considerably less expensive locations in the other boroughs, some NOT FAR FROM MANHATTAN, where a dollar can be stretched a lot farther.'

"Here's a summary of FEMA's "abysmal response":"

===========

By almost UNIVERSAL accounts, they, along with private charities like the Red Cross, did a p*ss-poor job. DAYS after the event, FEMA are still trying to co-ordinate buying of water and it's distribution. Just one example. I also am very close to people on the ground and they tell me it's a clusterf*ck on all levels.

=================

AGAIN...Where do all the BILLIONS in $ earmarked for helping people in dire need go when TSHTF? Or even during so-called normal times, anyone who has dealt with charities and government social services knows how painful an experience it can be. They have no problem making big demands for funding increases and donations, though. Fact is there's A LOT of fraud in private non-profits and in government social service bureaucracies, which IMO seem to exist primarily to provide jobs for the social services industry, lucrative private contracts, and creating and maintaining a large minority [and I don't mean black,etc., when I use the word minority, here] or entitled and subjected people easy to manipulate for political purposes.

Just saying.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 12:06:22 PM

8. Towleroad - Link didn't work for me. Went to their site and donated. Might want to take a look.

Posted by: will b | Nov 4, 2012 12:15:21 PM

9. Seems like Ratbastard likes to make unsupported allegations, contrary to evidence, and back it up with "IMO." Guess that's why opinions are like ..., everyone has one.

Posted by: Runt | Nov 4, 2012 12:20:29 PM

10. Seems like Ratbastard likes to make unsupported allegations, contrary to evidence, and back it up with "IMO." Guess that's why opinions are like ..., everyone has one.

Posted by: Runt | Nov 4, 2012 12:20:59 PM

11. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but not to their own facts.

I cite a simple fact: People who need water are served by a well close to their home. A borough "not far from Manhattan" does not serve those in Manhattan, and adds a layer of cost and complexity. That's just simple logic.

I cite an actual news report, Ratbastard cites some vague reference to "universal" accounts.

He's a contrarian, plain and simple, and if it's not both perfect and to his liking, it gets lengthy criticism. None of which is helpful either to crisis or discourse.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Nov 4, 2012 12:44:57 PM

12. Also note the Fox "News" tactic of "people are saying."

"I also am very close to people on the ground and they tell me it's a clusterf*ck on all levels."

Who are these invisible people, and how the hell do they know what is happening on all levels.

I am close to magic pixies in Central Park who tell me that lollipops are growing on the trees there.

Saying something does not make it true.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Nov 4, 2012 12:48:23 PM

13. To 'Jeff' and a few others:

I understand you're part of the clique and a true believer and/or shill for this or that institution, ideology, etc., I simply made a few statements based on my personal experience, knowledge and anecdotal info from people I trust. I also based some of it on what's in fact being WIDELY reported by MANY news outlets, not just Fox [NEWSFLASH: Ratbastard doesn't watch 'Fox' news, and he doesn't like it anymore than CNN or MSNBC.]

And please: I know NYC VERY well. If they can find a decent and economical spot Manhattan, fine, excellent, I have no quarrel...Manhattan would be a better location. I was just pointing out there's many other parts of NYC besides Manhattan that are just as swell suited. It isn't necessary for everything involving gays to be ghettoized. And IN FACT the other boroughs are less expensive than Manhattan. Nothing wrong with pointing this out.

Contrarian? No more so, Sir/Madam, than many of the posters on here, including you,who hold views that are 'Contrary' to the dominate culture and society as a whole. I simply have a few viewpoints obviously different from yours. This doesn't make me a 'Contrarian', as you mean it, i.e. 'Troll'. Grow up.

Posted by: Ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 1:02:25 PM

14. Also, I hate blacks because I pretend online that blacks killed my dad. I'm like Jimmy LaSalvia, only with tinier testicles.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 1:08:31 PM

15. "Jeff" in snicker quotes? "Sir/Madam"? I actually post my real name Mr. Bastard, because I'm not afraid to posit ideas and discuss and defend them. Opinions are not facts. Period.

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Nov 4, 2012 1:20:00 PM

16. money is a lot easier to work with than a bunch of people who are untrained and unfamiliar with an organization who despite good intentions aren't ready to hit the ground running. Just because it's a not for profit doesn't mean any wanda or wally walmart off the street can come in and do a good job. In addition how would they know if a "volunteer" was actually someone trying to get access to a group of vulnerable youth to exploit them?

Or to summarize if you don't know what you're talking about please stop making crap up

Posted by: MaddM@ | Nov 4, 2012 1:41:18 PM

17. @Lil' Canadian,

YES Lil' Canadian, my father was victim of a very violent crime committed by a group of young black men. 100% true. Why do you keep on bringing this up, Lil' Canadian? And why do you troll under dozens of personas?

==========

@Jeff,

The CNN article is a classic 'Hack' job, not dissimilar to what Fox does on a daily basis. The people praising it are hacks, politicians, technocrats, academics, etc., And of course those with an axe to grind who will do and say anything to make the president look good.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 1:51:30 PM

18. Blacks killed my dad, but there was never a police report filed because everyone knows that black-on-white attacks are never ever reported in the USA.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 2:01:40 PM

19. Just a couple of questions (Don't bite my head off):

Didn't this center just receive a multi -million dollar grant from the city? I seem to remember something of the sort not long ago?

Why weren't pre-storm flooding precautions taken like getting things off the floor, perhaps taken upstairs (if there is one)?

Did they not have contents insurance?

I think what the center does is awesome and would like to help, but could use some more information.

Posted by: castaway | Nov 4, 2012 2:10:19 PM

20. "Seems like Ratbastard likes to make unsupported allegations, contrary to evidence, and back it up with "IMO." Guess that's why opinions are like ..., everyone has one."

RUNT: Ratbastard/Jason/Rick claims to have "knowledge". He doesn't. "I am very close to people on the ground": yeah, those people are the FOX News reporters he sees on his TV screen from the basement of his mother's house in a state far, far away. It is not a state of reality.

"Just saying" he says. Well don't. You know nothing.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 4, 2012 2:16:46 PM

21. Chipped in a tenner.

Posted by: John C | Nov 4, 2012 2:19:14 PM

22. I guess the kids in Manhattan should just hop on the subway or take a cab to other locations!

Posted by: greg | Nov 4, 2012 5:13:57 PM

23. @Betty: You do know that some of the above posts attributed to Ratbastard are clearly posted by Little Kiwi. Did you see the comment about "Tinier testicles"? Classic Little Kiwi who believes that courage is located in the testicles.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 4, 2012 7:54:44 PM

24. @Betty,

I am ratbastard, not Jason or anyone else.

Betty, I DO NOT WATCH FOX...let me repeat: I DO NOT WATCH, LISTEN OR READ FOX NEWS. I don't care for CNN,MSNBC, ABC,CBS,PBS,NPR, NBC much better, but occasionally watch, listen or read. And yes, I personally know a few people very well who're are in affected locations.

Betty, I appreciate you're a party true believer, and an ideolog, but I'm not. I don't live my life and hold beliefs based on talking points and narratives.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 7:57:06 PM

25. Blacks killed my dad, but there was never a police report filed because everyone knows that black-on-white attacks are never ever reported in the USA.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 2:01:40 PM

===============

This was posted by Lil' Canadian, AKA Little Kiwi. He likes to troll this and other sites using many different personas.

Lil' Canadian: Of course there's a police report. And no, I have no intention of scanning it and posting it. It is private and has much private information on it.

================

@Castaway,

I agree and was thinking the same things but didn't say them. Yes, they received $ from the city, and yes, they should have prepared for the storm by at least securing the premises, storing stuff, getting stuff off the floor to high ground, etc., They have a bunch of homeless kids whom I'm sure would have been glad to help out and do some heavy lifting.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 8:02:41 PM