News: Fiona Apple, Fire Island, John Boehner, Kevin Clash

RoadThanks, David Mixner!

RoadWith no dunes left due to Hurricane Sandy, Fire Island fears winter storm will destroy it.

WhRoadWhite House marks 'Transgender Day of Remembrance' at meeting with more than two dozen trans and allied activists and organizations.

RoadVIDEO: Second Kevin Clash (Elmo) accuser speaks out.

RoadCalifornia couples await Prop 8 decision: "Interestingly enough, many local couples said they would prefer the quicker but less definitive resolution. 'I suspect we will be in line at the courthouse that day,' said Thom Watson, 50, of Daly City. Watson and his fiance, Jeff Tobaco, said while they could have obtained a legal marriage in another state, it’s important to them to make their vows close to home."

RoadMaine news anchors resign live on the air.

RoadHackers attack Israeli Vice PM Silvan Shalom: "Not only have they defaced his Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, as well as his blog on Blogger, but they also claim to have access to his Gmail account and are threatening to leak his emails tomorrow."

RoadVIDEO: Christina Aguilera performs "Let There Be Love" on The Voice.

AppleRoadFiona Apple writes brutally heart-wrenching letter to fans about her dying dog: "I have a dog Janet, and she’s been ill for almost two years now, as a tumor has been idling in her chest, growing ever so slowly... She's my best friend and my mother and my daughter, and my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is... I can't come to South America. Not now. When I got back from the last leg of the US tour, there was a big, big difference. She doesn't even want to go for walks anymore... So I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel."

RoadABC News profiles Immigration Equality, plight of gays in foreign lands.

RoadMosque for gay Muslims to open in France: "Mohammed Ludovic Lütfi Zahed, who is originally from Algeria and lives in France, plans to open the special mosque on 30 November. The venue will initially be housed inside a Buddhist chapel. Zahed, himself a homosexual, has decided to open such a place of worship as an alternative to conventional mosques, which can provide an intimidating atmosphere for gay men."

RoadLeonardo DiCaprio makes out with Ab Fab star Joanna Lumley.

KrasinskiRoadJohn Krasinski mugs for Nuvo.

RoadNewly-elected gay House members talk LGBT issues: "A number of new faces will join the LGBT representation in Congress: Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, who’ll be the first openly bisexual member of Congress; Sean Patrick Maloney, who’ll be the first out congressman from New York; Mark Takano of California, who’ll be the first openly gay Asian-American in Congress; and Mark Pocan of Wisconsin, who’ll take lesbian Rep. Tammy Baldwin’s seat in the U.S. House."

RoadWhy Ke$ha's new memoir is 2012's answer to The Feminine Mystique.

RoadJudge rejects electrolysis for transgender inmate.

RoadJohn Boehner reverses course, says he'll repeal Obamacare through oversight: "The tactics of our repeal efforts will have to change. But the strategic imperative remains the same. If we’re serious about getting our economy moving again, solving our debt and restoring prosperity for American families, we need to repeal Obamacare and enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that start with lowering the cost of health care. [...] Congress has a constitutional responsibility to conduct thorough oversight of the executive branch, and congressional oversight will play a critical role in repealing Obamacare going forward."

Comments

1. Bummer about Fiona. I had tickets to see her on the 6th of Dec... But it's so refreshing to see this woman is such a magnificent artist and has a wonderful kind compassionate heart. Maybe next time I'll see her...

Posted by: topher | Nov 21, 2012 2:23:06 PM

2. The Boner is sooo trustworthy. He was ameliorating until he realized a new way to stick it to the American public -- as the scorpion said to the man who saved it from drowning, then stung him...."it's in my nature".

Posted by: woodroad34 | Nov 21, 2012 2:31:13 PM

3. Boner is either totally ignorant of our government's structure or is a bald-faced liar. I know which one I believe. Christ, what an idiotic statement.

Posted by: Mike B. | Nov 21, 2012 4:02:20 PM

4. Actually I am saddened by Fiona's childish and selfish decision to simply let her beautiful dog die a long, painful and slow death like that. Domesticated dogs essentially exist for our benefit and we need to be less selfish in letting them go at the end of their lives. I recently had to let go of my beautiful ten year old dog, and she was my world, too. And to imagine her wheezing and rotting from the inside like that seems cruel and unnecessary. Fiona, baby, you gotta let her go if you ever loved her as much as you say you did.

Posted by: princely | Nov 21, 2012 4:16:53 PM

5. i can't believe the republicans are setting out to stonewall obama for another four years, to hell with the condition of the country, or even of the republican party.

Posted by: bandanajack | Nov 21, 2012 4:53:24 PM

6. Did anyone actually believe that Boehner was going to be conciliatory? I'm surprised that obvious lie lasted even a week. He makes Cheney look like a diplomat.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 21, 2012 5:05:50 PM

7. Thanks for the information deals

Posted by: moamen-enoo | Nov 21, 2012 5:10:58 PM

8. Remember how Boner, when first getting in, decided that the most important thing to do was to work on removing a work of art from the Smithsonian that he, and his plebeian cronies, simply don't have the capacity to try to understand?

so much for caring about the economy, eh?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 21, 2012 5:11:19 PM

9. @Topher
    If Fiona really had a "kind compassionate heart" she would have a suffering animal put to sleep as an example of a person with a "kind compassionate heart".

Posted by: ***** | Nov 21, 2012 5:31:54 PM

10. @***: I know. I assume we're talking about a dog who's in less than perfect conditions, but still can have a decent quality of life. If the dog is suffering and miserable, then obviously keeping it alive is the least compassionate thing to do. So who knows? Maybe she's a sadistic psycho keeping it to suffer as long as possible, or maybe the dog is doing allright with some extra care from the owner. I tend to think it's the latter. Anything else?

Posted by: topher | Nov 21, 2012 7:50:35 PM

11. I think that John Boehner is a centrist politician who is unable to control the Republicans in the House because he has at least 70-80 Wing nut Tea Partiers who would destroy him if he attempted real compromise.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 21, 2012 8:05:45 PM

12. @Topher
    There comes a time to let go. It would appear that that time has arrived. If Fiona is compassionate, then we can only hope that she is also courageous enough to display that compassion to an animal she claims to love.

Posted by: ***** | Nov 21, 2012 10:29:22 PM

13. My dog had a tumor growing in her. Because she's a large dog and was nearly 11 when it was diagnosed, after some other issues, I wouldn't put her through chemo and other treatments.

She's lasted a year longer than some of the best vets in the country predicted. The tumor disappeared. I spent a fortune getting multiple tests. She's consistently described as spry, regal, and prancing. I don't trust most vets or human doctors anymore. I would never put her through a moment of pain, and Fiona has a lot more money than do I. She seems to love her dog a lot.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 22, 2012 2:28:20 AM

14. @***: I think that's some creative freedom right there in describing the condition of the dog. After all, she's cancelling a tour bc of that. It has to sound really important. And I seriously doubt she as selfish and sadistic as to keep the dog alive being miserable.
    @Paul: Totally. I've always had lots of dogs, and one of them was really prone to developing tumors. She went through 21 surgeries in all, and it was bad for a day after that, nursing the dog back to health, but after that (and for at least 6 months) she would be the happiest most active dog of the bunch.

Posted by: topher | Nov 22, 2012 5:35:59 AM

15. Awesome. Can't imagine going through 21 surgeries. Makes me sad. Glad that it worked out well.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 22, 2012 5:04:47 PM

16. If I were Fiona Apple, I would be so grateful to a group of faceless people who could tell me when the time was right to let my precious best friend go. People who had never met the pup in question or me, but felt qualified to pass judgement on when she should be let go of; people who would judge me to be a selfish person because I didn't euthanise my dog to their time table, cruel people who would decide for me what's best for my dog. Faceless people who have no real idea what they're talking about.
    Butt out, morons.

Posted by: scotsyank | Nov 22, 2012 7:01:17 PM

17. Congratulations, Andy, on the "best" from David Mixner. Well deserved.

Re: Fiona Apple. I completely understand the connection between humans and their dogs -- but canceling the entire South American leg of her tour because of her ill dog? I just... I don't know. It just seems wrong. I hope she more than makes up for it for her South American fans.

Damn, John Krasinski looks fine. Great photos. Even if there are only two. I hope we see a lot of him after The Office ends.

Posted by: JAMES | Nov 22, 2012 7:44:02 PM