Charlie Crist | Democratic Party | Florida | News | Rick Scott

BigGayDeal.com

Charlie Crist Regrets 2006 Anti-Gay Marriage Petition: VIDEO

CristDem

Former Republican Florida Gov. Charlie Crist today filed the paperwork officially making him a Democrat, a party switch Crist announced after a holiday party at the White House last weekend.

Speaking with the reporters who turned out for the event, Crist was asked about his decision in 2006 to sign a petition pushing for a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage in The Sunshine State.

"Would I do it today? No," Crist said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "I think the best way to judge where my heart is is to look at the deeds that I have done, whether as attorney general, governor - restoration of rights, civil rights cases, things of that nature that I think show a compassionate heart and hopefully someone who cares and knows who the boss is - and the boss is the people of Florida."

Crist also said he signed up with the Democrats because "they care"; "they're compassionate," he said, contrasting them with Florida's current governor, Rick Scott.

Watch video of Crist discussing his marriage equality position, whether anyone in the Obama administration has encouraged him to run for governor again (yes) and his place in the political world today AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Still a closet case

Posted by: Steve | Dec 13, 2012 2:38:10 PM

2. ""I think the best way to judge where my heart is is to look at the deeds that I have done"

Deeds like signing an anti-gay petition? Did he do that because he "cares"?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 13, 2012 2:45:23 PM

3. He's evolved.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 13, 2012 2:53:52 PM

4. Evolved, my a**. He's stuck his finger in the wind, as he always does.

Posted by: DW | Dec 13, 2012 2:57:04 PM

5. He's with the Democrats because they're winning. He's 100% a hypocrite. Sorry, I got that wrong. I meant 200%.

Posted by: Linda | Dec 13, 2012 2:58:20 PM

6. Here's what I hope he eventually does - Come Out, and as part of his coming out is specific, explicit and continuously vocal about the sociopolitical culture of anti-gay prejudice that led him to not only be Closeted as an adult, and republican, but one who actively worked against the rights and freedoms and wellbeing of LGBT people in America.

i believe everyone is capable of their own redemption. but at this time in history what we need are these "formerly-straight-and-anti-gay-Conservatives" to make the rounds, talking about the effects of anti-gay prejudice, and what it all-too-often can reduce a grown adult to.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 13, 2012 3:00:32 PM

7. I don't know if he is gay or not, but I do know that he should be very ashamed of his legislative history.

It's tough: would society benefit from his future involvement in politics? History so far says "NO"!

Posted by: TonyJazz | Dec 13, 2012 3:46:21 PM

8. Lowest of the low, integrity wise. No, "the best way to judge where my heart is is to" keep in mind that he's a lying, opportunistic, self-serving closet case.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Dec 13, 2012 3:46:25 PM

9. "we need are these "formerly-straight-and-anti-gay-Conservatives" to make the rounds, talking about the effects of anti-gay prejudice, and what it all-too-often can reduce a grown adult to"

So I guess this rules out you advising Charlie Crist to read Towleroad and post advice about how to prevail over the anti-gay forces that he knows so well. I mean he'd probably be called a "troll" and be accused of being Rick's new alias!

By the way, Kiwi, I just saw your Youtube video "Playing with the Pitbull!" One of your best. But my favorite is still "The Happiest Dog in the World."

Posted by: Mary | Dec 13, 2012 3:49:37 PM

10. I'll tell you what, Charlie, not that you asked.

When you work diligently to undo the damage you did, THEN I'll believe what you claim is in your heart, or even that you have one.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Dec 13, 2012 3:50:22 PM

11. Too late now, you pig.

Posted by: Too late | Dec 13, 2012 4:05:02 PM

12. I don't see the regret that the headline refers to. He says he wouldn't do it again but then goes on to say that the PEOPLE should decide which is EXACTLY what the petition did. I don't see how this can be seen as anything other than restating his previous position but perhaps without his personal signature.

He's still disgusting and I'll do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't get the Democratic nomination for Governor of this state.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Dec 13, 2012 4:20:54 PM

13. Like others have said TOO LATE the damage is done. Take responsibility and work to make amends.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 13, 2012 4:22:26 PM

14. No, Mary. The only people call aliases of Rick are trolls like you, who ARE aliases of Rick.

Posted by: MateoM | Dec 13, 2012 4:23:35 PM

15. Regrets are easy. Work to fix it if you regret it so much.

Posted by: JD | Dec 13, 2012 5:21:11 PM

16. @ TampaZeke,

In 2010, only 1% separated the vote totals of Rick Scott and Alex Sink. And that was before he became one of the most unpopular governors in American history. In 2012, the Republicans are out of the governor's mansion, which leaves us with the Democratic Primary. Alex Sink would be fine, but just so you know, the most recent poll shows Charlie Crist with a 21 point lead over Alex Sink:

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Dec 13, 2012 5:37:06 PM

17. Pam Iorio.
    She needs to run.

Posted by: uflyguy | Dec 13, 2012 9:37:03 PM

18. Another careerist politician that we dont need. We need politicians that will stand up for us, whatever direction the winds blow.

Posted by: Musab | Dec 13, 2012 10:24:34 PM

19. Another evolving bigot. First Clinton, then Obama and now Crist.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Dec 14, 2012 3:35:12 AM

20. People need to respect his marriage and his rights to privacy regardless of what you busybodies think you "know" about his sex life. As for his overdue "evolution", we should welcome it, instead of being small and bitter.

Posted by: niles | Dec 14, 2012 5:17:24 AM

21. A Democrat is a Democrat and I'll take that any day over a Republican. Welcome to the party Charlie.

Posted by: I learn something every day | Dec 14, 2012 7:30:11 AM

22. Charley Limp Crist wasn't any good as a Repug and now where is he gonna get the money to payoff the boyfriends past?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Dec 14, 2012 8:35:00 AM

23. Sorry Charlie, the time to make a stand is when you speak from the heart and
    not from a closet! I guess its always better to be late, then never at all. Welcome to reality,
    and now is the time to admit for once and for all... that you happen to be gay.(If it takes one to know one... Charlie,You are gay!)

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Dec 14, 2012 9:02:21 AM

24. He should regret it as a human being, not as a new Democrat. Bleh.

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Dec 14, 2012 2:25:44 PM