Florida | News

Dolphin Bites Girl's Arm at SeaWorld: VIDEO

Dolphin

SeaWorld is back in the news with another animal accident (wrongly labeled an "attack" on YouTube), this one involving a dolphin and a girl's arm. The video was uploaded to YouTube by her father and shows a dolphin grabbing a girl's arm during a visitor feeding session after she picked up a food tray, holding it over the tank.

She was left with puncture wounds in the arm, a reminder that wild animals in captivity are still wild animals.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Something fishy about that video.....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Dec 3, 2012 8:57:23 AM

2. Humans are so f-cking miserable and dumb!!

Posted by: Art Smith | Dec 3, 2012 8:59:36 AM

3. Good!

If I were a dolphin FORCED to do tricks all day long, then train all night long, and not be fed until I entertain humans..I'd bite the sh*t out of every arm, and leg, and limb I could find. These animals are proving to be FAR FAR more kind than most humans would be in their situation

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Dec 3, 2012 9:00:53 AM

4. Uhm..something tells me the animal was set up here.

Posted by: Michelle | Dec 3, 2012 9:01:14 AM

5. You gotta love humans and our sense of entitlement. We demand, no dictate, that all creatures change their instincts to suite our needs and amusement. When they don't, we call it an attack and make ourselves out to be victims. Gotta love the human race y'all

Posted by: C.J | Dec 3, 2012 9:02:18 AM

6. Team Dolphin.

Posted by: Juan | Dec 3, 2012 9:03:21 AM

7. Irresponsible parenting.

Posted by: kukima | Dec 3, 2012 9:04:56 AM

8. Some kid came up to my dog last week at the park and started patting my dog on the head. I asked him to stop, and he said "make me"...I approached his parent who was too busy texting on her cell, and explained what was happening, and she seemed disinterested and simply called his name and didn't seem bothered. Finally, I grabbed my dog and walked to another bench on the other side of the park.

Most kids shouldn't be around domesticated animals because frankly, most kids are complete rotten brats. Wild animals? that's a recipe for disaster because again, kids are spoiled, and with the helicopter parents of today who feel their child is entitled to everything they want, my sympathy goes out to these poor animals on display.

Posted by: Greg Cali | Dec 3, 2012 9:06:33 AM

9. Greg Cali: I think you didn't really mean to say 'helicopter parents', 'coz that term is generally used for overbearing, devoted or unreasonably involved parents and not for the careless ones who just sit and wish that their children had everything.

Posted by: kukima | Dec 3, 2012 9:24:53 AM

10. Dolphins doing what it felt in his psyche. That's natural for them. What's not natural is the human behavior displayed in this video.

Posted by: Latino Dude | Dec 3, 2012 9:25:29 AM

11. The key here is "after she picked up a food tray, holding it over the tank." If I was hungry enough, I might have bitten her in the arm as well after taunting me with food.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 3, 2012 9:26:03 AM

12. The family was on GMA this morning. They readily admit that they were given detailed instructions on how properly to feed the dolphins and that the daughter disobeyed them. They also said they have no intention of suing Sea World. The little girl loves dolphins and said she still does.

Posted by: DW | Dec 3, 2012 9:36:46 AM

13. Why dont they teach those kids to feed the needy instead of paying to feed captive animals that are smarter than we....... Oh- sorry- my bad......

Posted by: Tab | Dec 3, 2012 9:41:07 AM

14. Gotta love the moment at 0:43 where the little girl, in tears, doesn't want her dad to film her injury, and the mom says, "We're not going to show it to anybody."

Posted by: SC David | Dec 3, 2012 10:03:55 AM

15. @C.J: I'm surprised the nitwits who run Seaworld didn't decide to put the dolphin down. You know, because it "attacked" a human--a sweet, innocent little girl human.

I have trouble these days loving the human race at all. We're not very nice.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 3, 2012 10:32:13 AM

16. AWESOME +1 for the dolphin, who's bright idea was it to have KIDS!!! feeding dolphins anyway...LOL

Posted by: Johnny | Dec 3, 2012 11:45:15 AM

17. If people only knew what some of these animals have to go through on daily basis. And the millions and millions the people behind these facilities make.

I'd bite more than a few hands if I were those animals.

Posted by: Julio | Dec 3, 2012 11:56:12 AM

18. Uhh, the dolphin isn't the bad guy in this clip. Not from my perspective. No mame.

Posted by: Mika | Dec 3, 2012 11:59:35 AM

19. Video is now blocked.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 3, 2012 12:07:48 PM

20. Mike,

Google "Dolphin bites girl".
    That's how I found the video after it was blocked from the above posted link.

My thoughts: The parents and girl are to blame, not the dolphin. The girl did not follow the clearly stated instructions!

Posted by: Paul | Dec 3, 2012 12:17:33 PM

21. Dolphins are adorable even when they bite!

Posted by: Robert | Dec 3, 2012 12:18:26 PM

22. Hate to say it, but perhaps if Dad had been supervising his daughter instead of videotaping her, the bite could've been avoided. The parents seem a bit dim.

Posted by: Flipper | Dec 3, 2012 1:49:33 PM

23. Well...They do say that you shouldn't lift up the trays of food because the dolphins will jump up and grab anything that they can see. They tell you that you should keep everything out of the dolphins sight.

Posted by: Megan watson | Dec 3, 2012 3:08:52 PM

24. LMAO Juan!

Team Dolphin here too!

Posted by: sparks | Dec 3, 2012 3:37:03 PM

25. SeaWorld is the largest conservation group in the world. I invite you to look at any of their many programs where they take in injured animals from the wild, treat them, and release them back out into the wild.

Show me ONE video where any animals are mistreated or abused from any of the Sea World or Busch Garden parks. Yes, they are a public for-profit business, but they take animal care seriously.

I've done the feeding several times, and you have to listen before hand to several minutes of safety instructions for both you and the dolphins. They also do this feeding time only a few times throughout the day, and the habitat they're in is beautiful! You can obviously see that they weren't following directions, and so they got injured.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 3, 2012 5:44:38 PM