News | Rachel Maddow | Republican Party | Rick Santorum

Rachel Maddow on Rick Santorum, World Net Daily, and the Republican Party's Butt-Fumble: VIDEO

Maddow

Rachel Maddow took a look at the sad state of the Republican Party as evidenced by Rick Santorum's new gig as a columnist for the leading birther wingnut rag World Net Daily, which pushes, among other whackjob memes, that Obama is secretly foreign, secretly Muslim, and secretly gay, and was secretly gay-married in college. You can also buy a "how-to" DVD on its website on defensive cane fighting.

Says Maddow:

Santorum"The guy who actually came in second to Mitt Romney this year, the guy who was the runner-up in the Republican Party's efforts to pick their nominee, the guy who could have been Mitt Romney if for some reason it didn't work out for Mitt Romney, he landed at Wrld Net Daily. He's sharing speace with the Whtie secession guy. We have a 2 party system in this country and that is what half of our two party system is. That is half of what is supposed to be plausible in American politics. Rick Santorum at World Net Daily. Also cane fighting!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. "... he landed at Wrld Net Daily. He's sharing speace with the Whtie secession guy. We have a 2 party system in this country..." Who copy-edited this quote? And clearly I hope they were not paid in anything but Monopoly money or glittery stickers.

Posted by: Bollux | Dec 4, 2012 9:21:58 AM

2. Bollux--hilarious

Posted by: jmg | Dec 4, 2012 9:30:01 AM

3. @Bollux and JMG - that's all you got from this article? Well, if I were you two, I would demand that Towleroad return all the money that you have contributed.

What's that? I'm sorry. I just assumed you were big time contributors.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 4, 2012 9:43:33 AM

4. Andy, I've been saying for years that your whole team should use something like the plugins at http://afterthedeadline.com/ to spell, style, and grammar check all of these posts. I'm not affiliated with them, but it's a great set of tools. Also, totally free.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 4, 2012 9:45:58 AM

5. If I were Rick Santorum (which I'm very blessed not to be) I would watch out for that horny cane.

Posted by: Gast | Dec 4, 2012 10:36:36 AM

6. He might just need the cash, and where else could he go? Perhaps a reality TV show? That sorta worked for Sarah Palin.

Posted by: anon | Dec 4, 2012 10:56:31 AM

7. that's pretty low. you know you've failed as a politician when you have to pander to the bacteria that feed off the scum of america.

congrats, frothy.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 4, 2012 11:11:58 AM

8. SPELL CHECK! SPELL CHECK! SPELL CHECK!

I work as a proofreader. Get your act together!

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 4, 2012 11:34:51 AM

9. WND uses Ads by Google. I thought the Religious Right was supposed to boycott Google. Or have they realized you can't do much when you try to boycott all the HRC 100% rated companies;-)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 4, 2012 12:01:03 PM

10. "Contemporary Team" ?
    chuckle worthy!

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 4, 2012 1:04:32 PM

11. Little Kiwi, Santorum is one of those bacteria.

Posted by: RedOnTheGreg | Dec 4, 2012 6:36:01 PM

12. Rachel and her staff are awesome. They keep us abreast of what is going on in the wing nut parts of America.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 4, 2012 8:59:57 PM

13. I use to think that Santorum was just an extreme pre-Vatican II conservative Catholic. It is clear now that he is an off the rails major wing nut.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 4, 2012 10:07:51 PM

14. On the one hand, the importance of the message can supersede the method of the messenger. On the other, the ineptitude of the messenger can negatively affect the credence of the messenger. Nitpickers represent a missed opporortunity. And, how many nitpickers can you afford to lose?Towleroad, I've noticed many turned off due to disrespect perceived regarding neglect to detail. What would you like to do about this?

Posted by: TJ | Dec 5, 2012 1:39:58 AM

15. Wow....it just gets stranger and stranger.....the real fear it put in me is that San-torium had such a rabid following as a "politician"..and the numbers of them was astonishing. We live among them!...Yikes! He is yet another stack of kindling to feed the bonfire that is the GOP today. I can't imagine anyone identifying as "Republican" in this day and age not being concerned about the reaction...but then again.....It appears there is no bottom to their idiocy.

Posted by: thom | Dec 5, 2012 8:10:03 AM

16. Mormon's take thier "moron" back under their wings. TOO BAD MORMONS - YOU CAN'T TAKE OVER THE WORLD WITH YOUR SPACE GOD! FREAKS!

Posted by: Glenn Rivera | Dec 5, 2012 11:38:34 AM

17. I love that Rachel is also a Pats fan.

Posted by: Jonny | Dec 5, 2012 8:42:35 PM