Beyoncé | News | Super Bowl

Beyoncé Sings the National Anthem Live and A Cappella: VIDEO

Sb_beyonce

Beyoncé started her Super Bowl press conference today by putting to rest any doubts that she could sing the National Anthem live.

"Any questions?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

P.S. - She also admitted she sang over a recorded track at the inauguration.

Comments

1. To hell with divas; I am ready for some FOOTBALL!

Thanks for the info, though--I will be sure to hit the fridge during the national anthem and during halftime......

Posted by: Rick | Jan 31, 2013 5:07:22 PM

2. She sang some more correct notes in this rendition, but still had terrible diction and pronunciation and her habit of breathing mid-word is just plain poor technique. As a professional musician and teacher of singing I would have to give her a "D" for this work.

This is without even taking into-account my belief that the National Anthem is not to be a vehicle for her personal glorification and stylistic quirks. If she wants to do that in some sho-biz performance -- OK -- it is her right, but to do so at a national publicly-sponsored event like the inauguration of the President just deflects attention from where it belongs; on the paean of praise to our nation and people, to her personal quirks. It is in very poor taste. This is NOT A POP SONG. This is our National Anthem. Just like she wouldn't (I Hope) appear in a dress made from our flag, (or maybe she would...) she shouldn't be appropriating the National Anthem for her personal use, or mis-use.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 31, 2013 5:14:08 PM

3. Thank you for visiting our NewsBlog, we kindly remind you not to feed the trolls please. -the management

Posted by: Felix | Jan 31, 2013 5:14:47 PM

4. Rick,

they let you have your own fridge in your room at Bellevue? It's because of Liberals.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 31, 2013 5:16:06 PM

5. Awful.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 31, 2013 5:28:57 PM

6. Awesome. Smart and stirring. Can we please move on.

Posted by: dms | Jan 31, 2013 5:31:10 PM

7. Loved it (even though asking everyone to stand first was pretentious) (but that's her).

Posted by: jj | Jan 31, 2013 5:36:47 PM

8. Am I alone in thinking that she is quite the egotist?

Posted by: AG | Jan 31, 2013 5:45:54 PM

9. So overrated. Such unwarranted arrogance from a hog caller. Eye candy, but ear poison. She's one of those shiny slick faux divas who can't touch the talent of a Phyllis Hyman or a Vesta Williams, may they rest in peace.

Posted by: Devo | Jan 31, 2013 5:45:57 PM

10. I love the mud-slinging from some of you ladies. I don't own any of her albums, but I know she has talent because I have *ears*.

Find a new hobby.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 31, 2013 5:54:46 PM

11. Wow. Apart from the unappealing vocal thrashing, she sounds dumb. Like....Vince Young-dumb. And that's sayin' something.

Posted by: Vuvuzela | Jan 31, 2013 5:56:25 PM

12. Good grief, I hope she didn't hurt herself.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jan 31, 2013 6:00:26 PM

13. Beyonce is pretentious and patronizing. In her early days she was OK but as she went solo her ego came into full bloom. There's a huge fake element to her. I've never thought of her as being particularly gay-friendly, either.

And I haven't even started on her disgusting materialism, including taking payment from the Gaddafi family. She's creepy.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 31, 2013 6:09:04 PM

14. I didn't care one way or the other about the lip sync business, but this was just childish and obnoxious.

Posted by: anthony | Jan 31, 2013 6:10:19 PM

15. I didn't care one way or the other about the lip sync business, but this was just childish and obnoxious.

Posted by: anthony | Jan 31, 2013 6:10:28 PM

16. With fiends like this who needs enemies...poor Hagel...or is it that Diva...whats her name.

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Jan 31, 2013 6:12:45 PM

17. Who's brought stripes and bright stars? :)

Posted by: Wes | Jan 31, 2013 7:03:08 PM

18. That THAT bitches!

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 31, 2013 7:05:00 PM

19. Mikey you're absolutely correct. Even if someone doesn't like her to say she can't sing is just admitting they're tone deaf.

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 31, 2013 7:11:02 PM

20. It's not pretentious to ask people to stand for the national anthem.

She did good here.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 31, 2013 7:15:22 PM

21. When it comes to Beyonce, it's all about her.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 31, 2013 7:42:53 PM

22. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a little conjecture, speculation, and cynicism. I bet the whole Inaugural lip-synching scandal scam was totally premeditated by her marketing/pr team just so she could extend her pre Super Bowl hype and hold this 'actual' singing presser in order to extend her shelf life on this whole thing. Why? Because with 25 years behind me in doing THIS EXACT SORT OF STUNT for clients, it's brilliant, slimy, and effective. She got international media attention, all the queens yapping about it, and probably doubled the eyes on her Sunday just out of curiosity. And since it was the national anthem she supposedly faked, she increased her audience even more. Americans are such suckers for fake sentiment and it works every single time.

Posted by: bleck | Jan 31, 2013 7:43:56 PM

23. OMG, I am SO sick of reading/hearing about Whoreonce every d&mn day! They have been talking about her EVERY day, even on the nightly news. Who the he11 cares about her? She's not even an interesting person!

Posted by: Pig | Jan 31, 2013 8:31:17 PM

24. She's just a pretty(ish) young woman with a loud voice, but zero artistry or control. She's sellin' a$$ as much as mu$ic.

People who think Beyoncé can sing probably also think Twinkees are fine cuisine. Hype don't make right.

Posted by: Unimpressed | Jan 31, 2013 8:36:06 PM