Fashion Men | JW Anderson | News

Introducing the Man Dress: VIDEO

Jwanderson

It Brit design JW Anderson's latest collection is all about gender-bending.

Writes Daniel Tehrani at OUT:

The inspiration for his collection, titled Mathematics of Love, was the "examination of bourgeois kinkyness and boudoir perversity" -- the result, men in strapless camel bustiers, frilled bloomer-shorts, doctors' gowns complete with what looks like dishwashing gloves, a powder blue robe and kinky leather pleated dresses. Wearable? Not quite. Commercial? Definitely not, but it is certainly conceptual...

...Style.Com writer Jo Ann-Furniss says "write off Anderson as a mere provocateur at your peril; his agenda is more complex than that. The effeminacy of this collection—a kind of put-together sixties jolie madame made into a twisted jolie monsieur; think Séverine in Belle de Jour crossed with some of her kinky fantasy coachmen—is intended to reconfigure both menswear and womenswear, and to give a kick up the arse to the stale state of much of men's fashion at the moment."

In fact, Anderson is a part of a bigger movement to bring originality into the men's dress-code.

See the collection, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sorry, I like men wearing trousers (or actually wearing nothing.)

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 14, 2013 2:47:45 PM

2. Are you allowed to wear any of them with something other than ruffled boots? I think you need that music in the background whenever you wear one of the sheaths - otherwise you look like you're wearing a table runner with matching chair arm covers.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 14, 2013 2:48:25 PM

3. Ignore at whose peril? What nonsense. I think I'll be sticking with my flannel and T-shirts.

Posted by: Butch | Jan 14, 2013 2:51:51 PM

4. What inspired those hidious plastic flaps? Freezer door curtains? I normally like gender-bending experiments, but this did less than nothing for me.

Posted by: jexer | Jan 14, 2013 2:52:22 PM

5. I wonder how that dress would look with sneakers and white socks.

Posted by: John Conolley | Jan 14, 2013 2:53:44 PM

6. I realize it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion. Tried keeping an open mind, but only found a couple of the looks passable (preferably without those god-awful rain boots), but most of the collection looked like it was designed and tailored to fit women...or a table, not men.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Jan 14, 2013 2:58:53 PM

7. Hideous. I might try out Lucy Liu's print dress sometimes, but not this.

Maybe randomly gluing on more ruffles would help.

Posted by: melvin | Jan 14, 2013 3:02:12 PM

8. Every single outfit was horrible. It's confusing to me, SO MUCH WORK was put into all that and all it needed was a tiny amount more. Clothes didn't fit, music was wrong for trying to change someone's mind, styling was wrong wrong wrong! No facial hair? What men are you trying to target?

Posted by: Fensox | Jan 14, 2013 3:02:52 PM

9. That Guy From Star Trek The Next Generation Who Wore A Dress:

Posted by: Ike | Jan 14, 2013 3:03:55 PM

10. Goofy!!!

Posted by: s | Jan 14, 2013 3:13:22 PM

11. Yet again, an artist approaches gender in the most superficial way imaginable! Folks, gender neutrality ain't about the clothes! It's something much deeper, far more spiritual. JW Anderson hasn't got a clue; all he succeeds at doing is making his male models look silly.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 14, 2013 3:14:59 PM

12. Ugly.

Posted by: AdamK | Jan 14, 2013 3:15:03 PM

13. Any outfit that highlights men's hairy legs is ok with me. All kidding aside, I find the draped trousers and the coat dresses, particularly the dark blue one, to be surprisingly wearable. Men's fashion can be so limited that it's refreshing to see unconventional options

Posted by: MikeSin | Jan 14, 2013 3:22:37 PM

14. actually, it's sorta blissful the way that "traditionally female" garments accentuate a "traditionally male" aesthetic desirability.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 14, 2013 3:26:36 PM

15. Thought provoking! I love seeing something outrageous for men to wear. It is challenging to imagine seeing some of these outfits on the street but I would welcome the opportunity. Maybe legs are the new arms?

Posted by: clydetoronto | Jan 14, 2013 3:28:20 PM

16. Other men wear dresses too. See http://images.usatoday.com/Wires2Web/20080627/3153185932_VATICAN_POPE_FASHION_x.jpg

Posted by: PixelWizard | Jan 14, 2013 3:30:09 PM

17. Never.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 14, 2013 3:55:23 PM

18. umm... maybe some of the short shorts ensemble- and the one with burgundy shorts and the black sleeveless coat was interesting. As a matter of practicality- the dresses looked uncomfortable and that one would be cold.

Posted by: scott | Jan 14, 2013 4:05:07 PM

19. I'll stick with my man Gaultier thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: jaykay | Jan 14, 2013 4:10:38 PM

20. ummmm, who would wear this? most of the stuff they show for women - who would wear that?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jan 14, 2013 4:13:02 PM

21. OH MarkT, that was hilarious ;) And spot on really. *cracking up* Thanks for the comment of the day!

Posted by: ESA | Jan 14, 2013 4:16:03 PM

22. Maybe someone else might like it but it is DEFINITELY NOT for me...

Posted by: CKNJ | Jan 14, 2013 4:17:10 PM

23. Too bad they didn't do cartwheels.

Posted by: trees | Jan 14, 2013 4:29:05 PM

24. Finally, I know what to get Rick for his birthday!

Posted by: Dan E | Jan 14, 2013 4:31:24 PM

25. MARKT : THAT was funny.

Posted by: Yupp | Jan 14, 2013 4:32:47 PM