News | Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling Says His Abs and Pecs are His 'Pets'

Gosling

Ryan Gosling tells Australia's Herald Sun he's not sure what the fuss is all about over his abs and pecs:

"Anyone can get those if they work at it. It's just a lot of exercising. And it's really quite pointless, because you go to a gym and you lift a heavy thing so a muscle grows, but the only thing the muscle can actually do is to lift that heavy thing. After a while they're like pets because they don't do anything useful. But you have to feed them and take care of them otherwise they'll go away. I feel a bit goofy having them, to tell you the truth."

Comments

1. He's so cute in all he says and does.

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 18, 2013 1:37:49 PM

2. I just hope he continues to feed and care for them!
    I beg to differ, they give me another reason to see his movies, they are useful!!

Posted by: Donley | Jan 18, 2013 1:41:22 PM

3. He is right, all a guy needs to do is get to the gym for a few hours a week, be focused, know what one is doing, and after about 10 months of hard work and not eating "diet" crap you too can have 6 pack abs. But watching TV is more fun.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 18, 2013 1:45:26 PM

4. I'm sorry, what did he say? That picture was distracting me . mm. anyway. Marry me Ryan!!

Posted by: Lucas | Jan 18, 2013 1:46:19 PM

5. I'd love to have Ryan as a pet!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 18, 2013 1:46:34 PM

6. Ryan G is just too beautiful on so many levels. DAMN! So F'n hot! Wish there were more like him out there in the world.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jan 18, 2013 1:51:57 PM

7. If he ever needs a "pet sitter" or "groomer", I'd happily offer services.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jan 18, 2013 1:52:14 PM

8. Way overly puffed for my taste. I prefer an athletes build, with good proportions. That lumpy look turns me right off.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jan 18, 2013 1:56:25 PM

9. I lament that having a gay man wanting to do terribly naughty things to him probably isn't what gets him to the gym.

Posted by: Sam A | Jan 18, 2013 2:01:12 PM

10. He comes in with a unique perspective a lot. I keep expecting to be disappointed but it never happens.
    Wilberforce - Jason Stratham is a real athlete: world class in diving and martial arts. And it is totally cool to see him do all his own stunts. But your saying the difference between Gosling and Statham is so great that Gosling turns you off - really? Gosling seems pretty athletic and they don't look so very different. I think your playing hard to get in some fantasy life you've got going. I hope you break down, give in and let lucky Ryan have what he so desperately wants someday.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 18, 2013 2:08:06 PM

11. He comes in with a unique perspective a lot. I keep expecting to be disappointed but it never happens.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 18, 2013 2:08:07 PM

12. Is Wilberforce proposing that one of Ryan Gosling's uncles is an ape? "Puffed"? Who do you think you are? St. Paul?

Ryan Gosling is stunning!

Posted by: peter | Jan 18, 2013 2:25:01 PM

13. Those 'Pets' probably put an extra digit in his paychecks

Posted by: Jack | Jan 18, 2013 2:35:29 PM

14. Oh, he is adorable.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 18, 2013 2:53:57 PM

15. It is precisely Gosling's "Aw, shucks" attitude that makes him so damn sexy....and he doesn't even do it consciously. You feel as though you could just sit down and have a conversation with him in a way you could not with any other celebrity (even if you did have to hide your raging hard-on under the table).

Of course, it could be that he is not as genuine in person and in private as he comes across as being, but I doubt it, because it is so hard to fake genuineness. I really don't think he even realizes how sexy he really is.

I know one thing: if I ever got the guy in bed (which of course I never will), I would chain him down and never let him go.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 18, 2013 3:03:38 PM

16. I can give him something useful to do with those muscles. I mean I wouldn't want the boy to feel goofy.

Posted by: JJ | Jan 18, 2013 3:13:54 PM

17. he's so canadian :)

and he's right. i learned that lesson in my midtwenties.

anyone can built up muscles if they do the gym thing: it's just what happens. you can take a smart boy to the gym and his body will automatically be reshaped. but if you take a gymboy to the opera, to the library or into intellectual pursuits, there's no guarantee that any of it will click, or make him grow.

anyone else have that "smart" friend who claims to value brains and personality, but only ever picks up guys from the gym, and then wonders why his relationships are always unsatisfying failures for the exact same reasons, each time?

*facepalm*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 18, 2013 3:14:18 PM

18. I sure would love to pet his, um, pets.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 18, 2013 3:30:21 PM

19. HAHAHA. He's right, too. After a certain point, the muscle doesn't actually have daily utility. That is hysterical. Ryan, you are awesome.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 18, 2013 3:45:48 PM

20. So adorable. Even his thinking is cute. Our muscles are like our pets. So adorable.

Posted by: Todd | Jan 18, 2013 4:23:51 PM

21. So adorable. Even his thinking is cute. Our muscles are like our pets. So adorable.

Posted by: Todd | Jan 18, 2013 4:23:51 PM

22. LITTLEKIWI did you read your response? Spoken like the countless men who rather sit on the couch typing all the reasons that fit men are inferior to the "average" man. Get off the couch, take a run around the block and then head off to the opera, by foot!

Anyway, the ideal man (my opinion) would be well-rounded. He would have an interest in intellectual and physical pursuits.

Posted by: Barton G | Jan 18, 2013 4:27:37 PM

23. As he won't say it, Barton, I'll tell you that Littlekiwi is quite fit.

That said, I don't agree with these claims that anyone can shape their body to be fit and muscular. There are plenty of barriers-- some genetic, some health-related-- to getting really fit. And lest Barton G accuse me of making excuses: I'm one of the lucky ones, genetically. I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume everyone who doesn't have a great body could if only he tried.

Posted by: Dan E | Jan 18, 2013 5:37:20 PM

24. Obviously he's never rested his head on hard abs n pecs or he'd know what the fuss is about.

Posted by: jugomono | Jan 18, 2013 10:28:52 PM

25. WTF?????? DUDE HAS -----------NO---------- ABS AND PECS TO SPEAK OF!! HE IS A SKINNY....PALE NERD! WHY ARE YOU GUYS DO DAMN DESPERATE?????

Posted by: Shannon | Jan 18, 2013 10:35:30 PM