Ryan Gosling Says His Abs and Pecs are His ‘Pets’

Gosling

Ryan Gosling tells Australia's Herald Sun he's not sure what the fuss is all about over his abs and pecs:

"Anyone can get those if they work at it. It's just a lot of exercising. And it's really quite pointless, because you go to a gym and you lift a heavy thing so a muscle grows, but the only thing the muscle can actually do is to lift that heavy thing. After a while they're like pets because they don't do anything useful. But you have to feed them and take care of them otherwise they'll go away. I feel a bit goofy having them, to tell you the truth."

Comments

1. Sargon Bighorn says

He is right, all a guy needs to do is get to the gym for a few hours a week, be focused, know what one is doing, and after about 10 months of hard work and not eating “diet” crap you too can have 6 pack abs. But watching TV is more fun.

2. Markt says

He comes in with a unique perspective a lot. I keep expecting to be disappointed but it never happens.
    Wilberforce – Jason Stratham is a real athlete: world class in diving and martial arts. And it is totally cool to see him do all his own stunts. But your saying the difference between Gosling and Statham is so great that Gosling turns you off – really? Gosling seems pretty athletic and they don’t look so very different. I think your playing hard to get in some fantasy life you’ve got going. I hope you break down, give in and let lucky Ryan have what he so desperately wants someday.

3. Markt says

4. Rick says

It is precisely Gosling’s “Aw, shucks” attitude that makes him so damn sexy….and he doesn’t even do it consciously. You feel as though you could just sit down and have a conversation with him in a way you could not with any other celebrity (even if you did have to hide your raging hard-on under the table).

Of course, it could be that he is not as genuine in person and in private as he comes across as being, but I doubt it, because it is so hard to fake genuineness. I really don’t think he even realizes how sexy he really is.

I know one thing: if I ever got the guy in bed (which of course I never will), I would chain him down and never let him go.

5. says

he’s so canadian :)

and he’s right. i learned that lesson in my midtwenties.

anyone can built up muscles if they do the gym thing: it’s just what happens. you can take a smart boy to the gym and his body will automatically be reshaped. but if you take a gymboy to the opera, to the library or into intellectual pursuits, there’s no guarantee that any of it will click, or make him grow.

anyone else have that “smart” friend who claims to value brains and personality, but only ever picks up guys from the gym, and then wonders why his relationships are always unsatisfying failures for the exact same reasons, each time?

*facepalm*

6. Barton G says

LITTLEKIWI did you read your response? Spoken like the countless men who rather sit on the couch typing all the reasons that fit men are inferior to the “average” man. Get off the couch, take a run around the block and then head off to the opera, by foot!

Anyway, the ideal man (my opinion) would be well-rounded. He would have an interest in intellectual and physical pursuits.

7. Dan E says

As he won’t say it, Barton, I’ll tell you that Littlekiwi is quite fit.

That said, I don’t agree with these claims that anyone can shape their body to be fit and muscular. There are plenty of barriers– some genetic, some health-related– to getting really fit. And lest Barton G accuse me of making excuses: I’m one of the lucky ones, genetically. I’m just saying that we shouldn’t assume everyone who doesn’t have a great body could if only he tried.

8. Urmensch says

Actually it is false that the gym serves no purpose outside of looks.

Studies have found that regular strength (resistance) training in older folk increased muscle strength, reduced muscular atrophy, and that tendons and bones adapt too. These successes in turn had a preventive effect in terms of avoiding falls and injuries.
    People lose 30% of their muscle strength between the ages of 50 and 70 years. However, maintaining muscle strength in old age is enormously important in order to maintain mobility and to be able to lead an independent life and manage everyday tasks independently.
    You can look at it as a habit to develop that will benefit you into later life.

9. norseman says

There’s a wonderful line I heard from a lady friend many years ago that I think applies here, “I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crackers.” I too admire his perspective.

10. says

Ryan Gosling was born in the province of Ontario, only 100 miles away from the city I live in. He’s okay, but I can’t really say I’m a big fan. When he opens his mouth, he has an almost high, squeaky voice like a teenage voice. His facial expression looks weak and silly most of the time. Good looking, yes, handsome, no. His acting is so-so. The blond hair reels people in, but beyond that I don’t really see what the fuss is all about. Nice guy, but……….

11. Paul R says

His body is fantastic, but I care more about faces—and aside from his eyes, I don’t think he’s particularly memorable. Seems nice, but so are lots of guys, straight or gay.

I’m not attacking him, but I just don’t quite get it.