I'm Not Gay | Katie Couric | Manti Te'o

Manti Te'o Tells Katie Couric He's Not Gay: 'Far from It' - VIDEO

M_teo

In an interview that aired today, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o told Katie Couric that he's not gay when she asked him if he made up the dead girlfriend story to hide his sexual orientation.

COURIC:"One of the theories, many theories, Manti, making the rounds, is somehwo you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"

TE'O: No. (Laughs) Far from from it. Faaaaar from that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Do you believe him?

Here's the full interview (till it gets pulled). The gay question is around 16:00 in the first clip.

Comments

1. He's as straight as his imaginary girlfriend was real!

Posted by: ING! | Jan 24, 2013 4:55:54 PM

2. Wow. I wasn't buying into the whole "he's gay" rumour. But now I am. Yikes.

Posted by: brian | Jan 24, 2013 4:56:49 PM

3. Who flipping cares? Seriously, this is right up there with "Kim Kardashian says....."

Posted by: David Hearne | Jan 24, 2013 4:57:44 PM

4. Linebacker. He's a linebacker.

Posted by: Dan E | Jan 24, 2013 4:58:21 PM

5. He'll come out once he's drafted.

Posted by: Anthony | Jan 24, 2013 4:58:49 PM

6. yeah i think it started as a closet thing....then steamrolled into her death sob story to help with heisman trophy....and snowballed with support from university /coaches to keep the whole thing going

Posted by: Moz's | Jan 24, 2013 4:59:34 PM

7. He has "gay face." Kidding aside, what is being missed here is when he makes that comment you hear the audience laugh like if he was gay would be something horrible. It is time to call out Katie Couri on this. If he is not gay, then he is a dumbass homophobe.

Posted by: RK | Jan 24, 2013 4:59:58 PM

8. Why call out Katie for her audience? If her audience think being gay is horrible, what can Katie do about that?

Posted by: Jake | Jan 24, 2013 5:02:33 PM

9. I really have a hard time caring. If he's a closet case it only makes sense given his profession and location. Would it be cowardly and pathetic? Sure. But understandably so.

Do I personally hope he's gay? Not really. Even from a "gee wish he was gay so I can bone him" perspective because, quite honestly, to me he's a bit of a butter face.

Posted by: Aedan | Jan 24, 2013 5:04:11 PM

10. How far? About two beers.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 24, 2013 5:04:29 PM

11. I didn't get that impression, RK, from the audience. They were laughing because he was, because he made a joke of being asked if he were gay. He's the one who looks stupid there.

That was such a nervous laugh from Te'o. I think he's definitely gay now.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 24, 2013 5:05:59 PM

12. RK, I think that his statement was contrived to make you think he was a total, lusty ladies man, and the audience (mostly women) thought that was humorous or titillating. Don't think it was to say gay = bad.

But no. He's gay and eventually, after the fake marriage and the horrible break up and the disappointed families and children, he'll eventually come out. Or maybe sooner, who knows? There's never been a more accepting time unless you count Caligula's rule over Rome.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 24, 2013 5:06:20 PM

13. I think the guy who created the fake girlfriend is Gay and had a crush on Teo so he created the GF to get close to Teo.@ RK why is he homophobe for saying he is far from Gay?

Posted by: Kim | Jan 24, 2013 5:11:54 PM

14. Seriously ?
    Can anyone have any doubt ?
    He's still running scared of "the gay" for f**k's sake........it's a sign !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 24, 2013 5:15:54 PM

15. Sounds like a yes to me. LOL

Posted by: Robert Ellisont | Jan 24, 2013 5:15:55 PM

16. oh please, we dont want him anyway.

Posted by: reality | Jan 24, 2013 5:24:33 PM

17. I never thought there was compelling evidence that he was gay. And still don't think there is.

But that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo character?? There is a loooooooot more to that dude. At this point, I suspect he is gay, but really hope he isn't. He's all kinds of crazy and frankly, the association will be spun in a bad way for us (that whole 'gay = mentally ill' narrative that the Right loves).

Posted by: Lars | Jan 24, 2013 5:28:28 PM

18. It seems like a useless discussion in any case. If he's gay and closeted, let him be gay and closeted. If he's straight, then let him be straight. Who cares?! If we want people to stop judging us based on our sexuality, but other aspects of our personalities, then we should lead by example. He's not just gay or not just straight, he has many other aspects of his life and career that we should be focusing on instead of this.

Posted by: JC | Jan 24, 2013 5:29:04 PM

19. He's mormon. I didn't know that. Now I'm buying more into the "he's gay" theory. Just come out dude.

Posted by: Lucas | Jan 24, 2013 5:30:49 PM

20. PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE be heterosexual.

We don't wish to claim lying assholes as one of our tribe.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2013 5:32:11 PM

21. Katie Couric, are you a homophobic media whore?

Posted by: jason | Jan 24, 2013 5:35:44 PM

22. Agreed; the last thing we need is another Ken Melman !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 24, 2013 5:37:10 PM

23. Oh my god can we just let this dumb ass topic die? Who cares!

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 24, 2013 5:39:30 PM

24. He is a barely articulate big dumb kid who finds himself in the middle of this ridiculous publicity stunt that exploded in his face. I agree the guy who pretended to be the girl might have a gay crush on this guy.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 24, 2013 5:46:00 PM

25. Can someone please explain to me WHY this is such a newsworthy story? If anything it just showcases how utterly worthless the MSM has become.

If I were him, I would say I was gay even if I weren't to avoid looking like:
    1. An opportunist trying to lie to gain sympathy for a Heisman
    2. A complete imbecile for going on about a girlfriend you never met.

IMO it's much better to play the oppressed gay card than the other two options.

Apparently he and others believe it's better to be an imbecile than gay. Whatever!

Posted by: MikeH | Jan 24, 2013 5:47:30 PM