Film | Jamaica | News

BigGayDeal.com

Documentary Explores Dangerous World for Gays in Jamaica: VIDEO

Abominablecrime

UPDATE: Posted this earlier this month (Feb 1) but thought I'd repost because the filmmakers have received an important boost and these Kickstarters have funding deadlines.

The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting is offering us a special challenge. The Pulitzer Center has generously offered to match, dollar for dollar, up for $15,000 on all future Kickstarter contributions to the film - every dollar donated over the next 19 days will be doubled!

This week I got a chance to see a rough cut of An Abominable Crime, a documentary from filmmaker Micah Fink which explores homophobia in Jamaica through the eyes of two people — Simone Edwards, a lesbian seeking asylum abroad after an attempt on her life by anti-gay gunmen, and Maurice Tomlinson, an activist and lawyer threatened after marrying a Canadian man and being exposed by the Jamaican press.

MauriceFink is seeking funds to finish his film on Kickstarter. It's a moving exploration of Jamaica's culture and a touching look into the lives of gays and lesbian who seek asylum and safety in other countries to protect themselves from human rights abuses in their own.

If you feel moved by the trailer, you can help out here.

Check out the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is why I refuse to vacay in Jamaica. So many of my friends, some of them gay, go to Jamaica on a regular basis. They go on and on about how beautiful it is, all the while ignoring the truth. Most stay on all-inclusive resort compounds, so they never see the real Jamaica. When I tell them how dangerous it is for gay people there they quickly change the subject. They don't care. Jamaica's beautiful they say.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 1, 2013 12:42:04 PM

2. Pretty miserable people, Jamaicans. Miserable country. Been there. Didn't need this documentary to convince me never to go back. If there was a lever, I'd flush that despicable place into the toilet where it belongs.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 1, 2013 12:54:45 PM

3. Sad. I agree with Gigi, I refuse to go there also knowing how bad they treat gay people. They don't deserve the tourism dollars.

Posted by: Sad | Feb 1, 2013 1:25:18 PM

4. Sad. I agree with Gigi, I refuse to go there also knowing how bad they treat gay people. They don't deserve the tourism dollars.

Posted by: Sad | Feb 1, 2013 1:25:19 PM

5. Been there, won't be back unless country changes in a big way.

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Feb 1, 2013 1:40:09 PM

6. My family on my father's side is from Jamaica. Haven't visited there since 1963, the yer before he died. he left in his youth and over the last 50 years the rest of his family has as well -- resetting in the U.S. It used to be a great place. Noel Coward had a house there. But the tourist economy had its limits and as it dried up the people started looking for scapegoats. Spurred by reggae they took aim at gay people.

Do not go there uner any circumstances.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 1, 2013 1:49:17 PM

7. i guess as long as the government appeases the destitute and broke people of Jamaica with anti-gay rhetoric they get a pass on their entire system which keeps people broke and destitute, eh?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 1, 2013 3:38:56 PM

8. Very sobering and cautionary comments.

Ironical that ever since Christopher Columbus and the establishment of the slave trade the Carribbean - supernally blessed with natural beauty - has been a cursed human sewer of oppression and corruption, a stalag under the sun.

Posted by: LEXUS DRIVER | Feb 2, 2013 3:01:13 AM

9. Oops. I meant...

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 2, 2013 3:03:37 AM

10. @GIGI,

These are the same people who would have gushed over how awesome Nazi Germany and fascist Italy were [the trains are always on time!], or how 'quaint' [READ: backward, run-down] Cuba is under the communist dictatorship.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 2, 2013 11:15:09 AM

11. I hope this film gets made. The story needs to be told. Some parts of the US have the same mentality about homosexuality.

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Feb 3, 2013 2:07:37 PM

12. I hope this film gets made. The story needs to be told. Some parts of the US have the same mentality about homosexuality.

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Feb 3, 2013 2:07:37 PM

13. The Church on Jamaica encourages this. Religion is to blame.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 20, 2013 10:28:22 AM

14. Trust me its is extremely hard being gay here. If you don't dress like a thug, u are gay. If you don't walk like a thug, you are gay. If you don't speak like a thug, you are gay (battyman as we say in Jamaica). If you are gay in Jamaica, you have to be rich to at least feel a bit safe as you would be able to afford rent in an upscale community where its not so bad. I have been threathened many times, I cant even reveal to my mom of fear of beign thrown out on the street. I am currently in the process of seeking assylum but hope I manage to come up with the plane fare before the worst happen.
    10 years imprisonment if caught having anal sex that's what we face + the guns of anti-gay thugs and a gov that don't care much. Helpppppppp

Posted by: gay jamaican | Mar 23, 2013 1:49:18 AM