Ecuador | News | Rafael Correa

BigGayDeal.com

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Apologizes to LGBT Community on National TV: VIDEO

Correa

Rafael Correa, Ecuador's President who was reelected in a landslide on Sunday, apologized to LGBT people during his victory speech, reports Andrés Duque at Blabbeando.

Said Correa:

A few months ago I used a number of inappropriate words that were offensive to LGBT groups and for which I apologized in writing - and I stated I would apologize again after winning [the election] to make sure they knew I wasn't doing it simply for political gain.

Once again I'd like to express my apologies to those LGBT groups for some words that might have escaped me. Each one of us was born and grew up with stereotypes and stigmas and we have to fight against this type of - let's call it deformed - social upbringing, etcetera. But our commitment is to defend everyone's dignity and equality. We are diverse but never unequal.

And I was reminded of this by the leader of a GLBT group who I greatly admire a couple of days ago. You need a lot of courage to lead these type of movements. Let's offer them all our support and - on a personal basis - I offer my full respect and the effort and commitment to eliminate all types of discrimination in this country.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Read Blabbeando's full post here.

Comments

1. Yes he is awful with the media... But he seems also brutally honest sometimes...definitely not a conventional politician.
    =)

Posted by: George F | Feb 22, 2013 2:43:01 PM

2. No idea what anti-gay comments he made (you should really have quoted them) but that is a good apology.

Posted by: danswon | Feb 22, 2013 3:00:41 PM

3. Thanks, pal, apology accepted! Now f&%k Brits and move MR. WIkileaks to your lovely country by all means!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Feb 22, 2013 3:10:51 PM

4. Senor President, Ud. se ha excusado con una dignidad ejemplar y sincera. Gracias senor y espero que Ud. les ayude al pueblo GLBT realizar una igualdad completa en la vida nacional de Ecuador. Tambien gracias por todos los esfuerzos suyos para igualar la sociedad ecuatoriana.

De un admirador norteamericano

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 22, 2013 3:11:51 PM

5. That's an apology and not the "i'm sorry if someone was offended"

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 22, 2013 3:16:36 PM

6. This is what sincerity sounds like.
    It's sad in 2013 that pathetic women like Laura Bush and disgusting women like Ann Coulter are too stupid and ignorant to figure out how to be sincere EVER!
    Gawd Bless Amerikkka!

Posted by: SFshawn | Feb 22, 2013 3:43:32 PM

7. Well, he's honest and sincere and that means a lot.

Posted by: Carlos | Feb 22, 2013 3:47:39 PM

8. Lack of context, once again. What was originally said?

Posted by: John | Feb 22, 2013 4:13:32 PM

9. Isn't it common knowledge he's gay? People in ecuador speak openly about it; maybe it's not known outside the country. He's got control of the media, which allows him to be closeted.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 22, 2013 4:23:40 PM

10. Ditto what Jose712 said.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Feb 22, 2013 5:39:49 PM

11. He's an awfull piece of sht, no matter how much sympathy he may have for the LGBT comunity

Posted by: MArk | Feb 22, 2013 6:43:54 PM

12. Handsome man! He could easily pass for a Kristen Bjorn model.

Posted by: Carlos C. | Feb 22, 2013 8:10:38 PM

13. If Ecuador disappeared tomorrow would anyone other than Ecuadorians notice?

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 23, 2013 12:06:57 AM

14. He's still Marxist scum who has a major hard-on for Fidel Castro and his 'revolution'. NOBODY reading this would be amused if they had to abandon what they have and live a life like the average Cubans [not the revolutionary 'elite'] do.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 23, 2013 8:35:03 AM

15. Full context of Correa's apology, including video of the comment that originally got him into trouble with the LGBT community over at my blog (thanks, Andy, for the link): http://blabbeando.blogspot.com/2013/02/ecuador-rafael-correa-apologizes-to.html

Posted by: Andres Duque | Feb 23, 2013 10:14:18 AM

16. David Hearne, you are consistent and dependable. And a swine.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Feb 23, 2013 1:19:36 PM

17. Danny -

Thank you. But as I have made no previous comment on Ecuador, it would be unsupportable to characterize my statement as consistent.

Posted by: David Hearne | Feb 23, 2013 1:33:40 PM