Kobe Bryant Blasts Twitter User for Using ‘Gay’ as an Insult

Kobe

Kobe Bryant, who in April 2011 was fined $100,000 for using an anti-gay slur toward a ref, publicly smacked down a Twitter user last night for using "your gay" (sic) as an insult.

Progress!

Outsports reports:

“I’m very excited to see Kobe taking an active stand on this,” You Can Play co-founder Patrick Burke told Outsports. “His actions are proof that athletes who use casual homophobia can be educated on this issue. Athletes who are given a chance to learn from their mistakes can become some of the LGBT community’s most valuable supporters.”

After apologizing for calling a referee a “faggot” two years ago, Bryant said he would do something to rectify his actions. He hasn’t done it yet, but this is definitely a fantastic step.

Comments

1. Ken says

We’ve come a hell of a long way since I was in my 20’s. Not long ago, the fan would’ve been ignored, or worse, the player would’ve insulted the offender with worse anti-gay words. Yes. We’ve come a long way.

2. FakeOutrage says

Exactly how is he supposed to “rectify” the situation??? He used an anti-gay slur and is now criticizing anohter athlete for using an anti-gay slur. Who determines what is enuf?

3. Belthazar says

Wow, to get into whether someone used “your” or “you’re” on Twitter (yes Twitter) instead of commenting on the Overall Message sent to the fan(s) is no longer surprising.

Further, if Kobe had not “set the fan straight”, you would not have cared less about whether he used correct grammar! It would have been about why he didn’t say something.

4. Jon says

I love how now that Kobe is on-board with your ‘agenda’, you just look for something new to nitpick. “Kobe didnt use an apostrophe, round up the lynch mob.” Work on your game Kobe, let these people fight their own battles.

5. Jack says

Respect.

For those clamoring on about how Kobe used a slur and got fined for it, that was some time ago. He issued his apologies, and did what was required of him to “make up for it.”

He didn’t have to take the time to respond to some random twit who decided to fling an “insult.” The fact that he did indicates to me that Kobe actually learned from his mistake, and realizes how words can affect people. He took a stand when he easily could have just let it gone unaddressed.

Never thought I’d see the day that I wished people would take an example from Kobe Bryant, but here I am. Thrilled to be eating crow for dinner tonight.

6. stpetegreg says

Doesn’t sound like Lucas is over 35 and hopes he never has to live that tragic existence. Because I’m such a nice guy, I’m hopeful right now that he never reaches 35 either…I don’t think he could live with himself.

7. lucas says

To Phil and others: please get a sense of humor. I am not looking for a job since I am still in school, but I hardly doubt that I will be at your doorstep begging for employment. I make one dumb comment and you guys lose it. Go find your sense of humors. I do hope to live to be 35 and older. It is true though that only older people would be dumb enough to criticize how people write on Twitter, like it was a dissertation. It’s freaking Twitter no one cares how you write on there.

8. NullNaught says

I am glad he did this. He should do more of the same. There are some things that are unforgivable. Using the “F” word is one of them. I don’t forgive him for that. I won’t ever.

9. says

Thank you Kobe. I educate people around me about that expression…it’s laced in ignorance. We said anti (fill in demographic) phrases in the past in history but through education and exposure, people retired them when realizing it was laced in ignorance and bigotry (just as the phrase ‘that’s so gay’ IS very ignorant). Thankfully, I’m hearing it said less these days. It’s a terrible lame and rididuclous phrase to use.