Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | New York | News

Passengers Applaud as Gay Man Faces Down Homophobic Street Preacher in NYC Subway: VIDEO

Subway

A gay subway rider has his 'I've had enough and I'm not gonna take it anymore moment, inspiring applause from other riders as he shouts down a preacher calling gay sex an abomination.

"I'm a man. And I'm a good man. And I'm a gay man and Jesus loves me. Jesus loves me!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via intelligencer)

Comments

1. That was great! Another profile in courage. I've never argued with street preachers because they're crazy, but that Gay guy stood up. I like that.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 18, 2013 5:35:16 PM

2. rock ON!

oh the Street Preachers. if i ever see one that resembles a sane person i'll have a heart-attack and die from shock.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 18, 2013 5:37:57 PM

3. I'm a gay Christian and the shepherd of our church's Sexual Minorities outreach group. We believe to the core of our hearts and faith that Jesus loves all of us and wants to help us through this life. The malevolence festering in the souls of people like this stteet preacher is totally abhorrent to Christ Who spoke forcefully against hypocrisy and sanctimony. It's this kind of evil that leads gay people to think "Christian = enemy" when the truth is that God loves and cares for us, despite those who want us to think otherwise.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Feb 18, 2013 5:54:11 PM

4. I'm a gay Christian and the shepherd of our church's Sexual Minorities outreach group. We believe to the core of our hearts and faith that Jesus loves all of us and wants to help us through this life. The malevolence festering in the souls of people like this stteet preacher is totally abhorrent to Christ Who spoke forcefully against hypocrisy and sanctimony. It's this kind of evil that leads gay people to think "Christian = enemy" when the truth is that God loves and cares for us, despite those who want us to think otherwise.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Feb 18, 2013 5:54:12 PM

5. another example of how mental health services are underfunded and the mentally ill are underserved.....

Posted by: MaddM@ | Feb 18, 2013 5:59:14 PM

6. I usually do this to street corner preachers.

If you really want to shut these loud-mouths up, leave them speechless, ask politely if you can read from their bible, then read loudly and clearly Matthew 6:1-15.

Shuts them up every time.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 18, 2013 6:03:30 PM

7. There is nothing more sad or pathetic than gay men and women trying to convince society that "Jesus loves them too." Our existence doesn't need to be explained or justified in christian terms, or any religious terms. Our value doesn't lie in weather or or not some palestinian kookoo, who lived two thousand years ago, and his imaginary daddy would've approved of us or not.

Posted by: HkFca | Feb 18, 2013 6:04:36 PM

8. "There is nothing more sad or pathetic than gay men and women trying to convince society that "Jesus loves them too.""

Be that as it may, that was the applause line.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 18, 2013 6:18:18 PM

9. Sounds like the "preacher" has a foreign accent. He immigrated to America from his backward, poverty-stricken, hell-hole of a country so he could come over here and annoy Americans with his homophobia. This is what we're importing to America and we wonder why the US is in steady decline?

Posted by: James | Feb 18, 2013 6:18:32 PM

10. The train is always enjoyable, except when it's not. This would have been an enjoyable ride.

Posted by: marc | Feb 18, 2013 6:20:48 PM

11. wow James - it's actually people like you that put the US in decline. Paraphrasing 'Dear Abby': maybe you could move?

Posted by: ECCO | Feb 18, 2013 6:28:36 PM

12. James, Haven't you been reading this blog at all for the past year or longer? Conservative Christians have been EXPORTING HOMOPHOBIA to as many developing nations as they can.

Posted by: Ulu | Feb 18, 2013 6:37:33 PM

13. I'm with HFKCA on this one... Jesus is fiction & arguing about what "Jesus" thought or said is f'n folly.

God save us from religion already!!!

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Feb 18, 2013 6:42:39 PM

14. Sounds like a song from "Hair"

Posted by: Alan | Feb 18, 2013 6:46:34 PM

15. In 1991 I got in a massive hour-long fight in the middle of my college campus with an insane antigay preacher. I've never come so close to punching someone, which I think is what he wanted for various reasons.

At one point I told him that my friends were mostly straight, and he said, Oh so I guess you suck them off too? I have never come so close to punching someone. I was so upset afterward and called my mother, and her response was, Honey I love you, but it's never going to change. I'm glad that she was wrong.

I had two straight friends come up randomly and tell me to stop arguing with him, then start kissing me to piss him off. Guys I never would have kissed otherwise.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 18, 2013 6:49:42 PM

16. I love the subway, but it unfortunately is filled with a lot of deranged characters.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 18, 2013 6:53:20 PM

17. That was awesome and not insignificant. Good on the people who applauded. That is a gay man with confidence and someone who has their head on straight. He didn't get angry, he didn't fly off the handle, he continued preaching a message of love and acceptance and that the bigot was preaching hate and was a false prophet, not teaching true Godly values. Good to see.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 18, 2013 6:54:57 PM

18. Arguing with crazy people just makes you sound crazy...seriously what is the point of this?...the man is unhinged...so the gay guy jumps in to defend his religious views because why? pick your battles folks...this wasn't one of them

Posted by: Wow | Feb 18, 2013 6:55:09 PM

19. HKCFA--It doesn't matter whether God, Jesus, etc. are real or not. A lot of people are raised in religions that affect their behavior, viewpoints, self-esteem, etc. Anytime you can take a paradigm and institution that affects the lives of a lot of people and begin to push back against its capture by a bunch of bigots, I'd call that a victory. A gay positive Christianity--and Christianity *should* be pro gay--could be a pretty powerful force for good in the world.

Posted by: Stefan | Feb 18, 2013 6:55:40 PM

20. People, learn how to take video with your phone. Turn the damned thing 90 degrees so it doesn't look like you're shooting through a keyhole.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 18, 2013 6:56:37 PM

21. @ Joseph Singer: I agree, but its the technology that needs to adapt not people. Holding a phone vertically is more ergonomic and intuitive.

@ Stefan; But the fundamental ideologies of the institutions, are at fault here not the people who are born and raised in them. All three monotheistic faith are pretty clear in their condemnation of homosexuality (among many other things). What value is there in trying to perpetuate, or fit into, such severally outdated, and inhumane institutions?

Posted by: HkFca | Feb 18, 2013 7:16:26 PM

22. If a dog barks at you, do you bark back? New York Rule #1: Never engage the crazies. Ill-advised on the part of the gay man, who made himself look just as strident and crazy as the mental defective he was yelling at. And if the immigrant "preacher" pulls out a knife, then what? Then we're all bemoaning the loss of a fancy-hat wearin' brother, who couldn't keep his emotions in check.

That said, why wouldn't the immigrant preacher be detained for disturbing the peace? This country has allowed the religionists too much latitude to say aggressive, violent, hate-speech. The time is coming for this country to modernized the Constitution, and we need to start by rewriting the First Amendment to severely curtail the voices of radical religionists in the public sphere.

Posted by: Barks At Dogs | Feb 18, 2013 7:31:49 PM

23. @HkFca, such a good point. i didn't realize how much I try to cater to fit the stories (religion) others use to secure themselves. I don't know if it's fair of me to say this, but I want to know why his sort of blabbering isn't considered a diagnosable disorder.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 18, 2013 7:32:14 PM

24. Train rides aren't what they used to be...When I lived in Brooklyn and rode the train every day to and from school...the best time I ever had was when a nice older man (25 maybe) rubbed up against my butt in the crowed train...all the way to school. By the time I got to school (Bishop Loughlin MHS.) I had blue ball and very pink cheeks. If you're out there mystery man...thank you very much !!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Feb 18, 2013 7:32:35 PM

25. I've said this before but--

Never argue with a crazy person. People might not know the difference.

Posted by: Charlie | Feb 18, 2013 7:36:40 PM