Boy Scouts | News | Zach Wahls

Let's Watch Zach Wahls Smack Down a Homophobic Bigot Over the Boy Scouts' Gay Ban: VIDEO

Whelan_wahls

Ed Whelan is a homophobic parent and President of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, and wrote an op-ed in the New York Post last week that said this:

Imagine that a group of girls is going on a long camping trip, supervised by adult volunteers who are young men you barely know. Would you let your 15-year-old daughter go?

Nearly every parent, I think, would recognize the folly, even though the men might well be models of good behavior. Why should our common-sense response be any different if the 15-year-old is a boy and the possible, even if not-likely-to-be-acted-on, sexual attraction of the adult supervisors is homosexual rather than heterosexual?

Whelan appeared on a CNN segment on Saturday with Scouts for Equality president Zach Wahls, who laid waste to all of Whelan's bigoted arguments.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Zach is so well informed and prepared. Bravo!

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Feb 4, 2013 11:15:21 AM

2. Zach Wahls is awesome. Classy, smart, articulate...

Posted by: guest | Feb 4, 2013 11:15:34 AM

3. I think Ed Whalen perfectly made the point against his own view when he admitted that he knew nothing about the lesbian mother that was kicked out. He admitted it was an arbitrary rule that excluded someone that he knows nothing about for reasons that have nothing to do with her qualifications to be a boy scout leader. He isn't interested in ensuring the most qualified people are in place as leaders.

Posted by: joe | Feb 4, 2013 11:16:34 AM

4. Ed is blatantly bigoted as is illustrated by his calling the question posed regarding IF his son were gay rude.

That is the mentality that separates.

That is what creates the illusion that gay=inferior or wrong.

This is a no-brainer, Boy Scouts. This ban must be lifted along with all other stigma & rule that perpetuates inequality in this country.

Stop this madness.

Posted by: Earthxdog | Feb 4, 2013 11:19:14 AM

5. That struck me too, Joe. He said he couldn't comment on the lesbian mother because he didn't know her, yet he claimed to know enough about all gay men to know they shouldn't be in scouting. With his opinion that adult men shouldn't be trusted with teenaged girls, I think he must have been projecting. And it was interesting how progressively nasty he got as the interview went on.

I would love for Zach Wahls to challenge Senator Chuck Grassley some day.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 4, 2013 11:29:15 AM

6. Randi Kaye to the Dad:
    "Would you want your son to be in the Scouts if he was gay?"

Dad:
    "I think a question like that directed at my son is a rude question."

Posted by: Oliver | Feb 4, 2013 11:31:28 AM

7. I love how Randi just shrugged when he said the question about his son being gay was rude. She clearly didn't agree with him.

Posted by: rustytrawler | Feb 4, 2013 11:35:19 AM

8. Ed didn't stand a chance against Zach. :)

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 4, 2013 11:35:48 AM

9. A case of solid, clear facts being presented up against pure bigotry and zealotry.

Boy Scouts better watch out, they could easily be replaced by Camp Fire, an organization that is growing rapidly.

Camp Fire's site:

"Our program standards are designed and implemented to reduce sexual, racial, and cultural stereotypes and to foster positive intercultural relationships. In Camp Fire, everyone is welcome."

Posted by: johnny | Feb 4, 2013 11:40:40 AM

10. Ed's God wasn't there for him.

Posted by: Xavi | Feb 4, 2013 11:44:14 AM

11. Zach is a credit to the Scouts and his attitude, demeanor and intelligence demonstrates what the value in attaining Eagle Scout status is. He is a living embodiment of the motto Be Prepared.

Posted by: Troy | Feb 4, 2013 11:56:00 AM

12. This creep is in breeder denial. The really issue here is that ignorance and 'religion' still deems 'the gays' responsible for pedophilia/pederasts and their predator existence. This creep has this fantasy that gays are hiding in pup tents just waiting to pounce on their little scouts.
    When in reality, much like Sandusky, many, if not most of these sexual deviants usually are married and most have families of their own.

I will forever regret having had this issue in my professional life. A married boss, ironically at a very self-proclaimed 'community co' who had a 3 yr relationship with a boy from his own son's high school class. Some of us were immediately aware when this boymance ended because 'The Perv' then starting attending overnight biz trips w/ a teenager (had just turned 18!) that he met at the mall.
    When I complained to HR that the fact that they shared a room and this kid was a teenager made me uncomfortable w/o getting into the nasty details, I was aggressively told that
    ' he's married , so what's the issue??" and was then treated as if I were the problem. (Ironically, this was told to me by a hardcore bull dyke trying to pass herself off as a republican, hetro-married young mother - it was a very christopher guest moment - just without the humor, or course!)
    Until breeders own up to the sad fact that the enemy really plays on their team we'll only continue to get these weirdo zealots.

BTW - Zach Wahls - what a beautiful man !

Be prepared Bitches!

Posted by: M2 | Feb 4, 2013 11:56:37 AM

13. ZACH WALLIS FOR PRESIDENT. Seriously. This man is a *prodigious, brilliant leader.* Wow.

Posted by: GMB | Feb 4, 2013 12:11:41 PM

14. Poor ed. He couldn't answer the questions, and so attempted to change the subject.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Feb 4, 2013 12:22:48 PM

15. "We love our fellow friends or relatives who are gays..."- Ed Whelan

well that's heartwarming to know ;-)

Posted by: Xavi | Feb 4, 2013 12:24:16 PM

16. i'm so glad "if your son was gay" was brought up.

because that's the reality. being a bigot doesn't make you immune from having a gay child.

having a gay kid isn't a bad thing. being a bigot is. this man (who looks like Kane from Poltergeist II) is scum, and he's ignoring the fact that this policy is also discriminatory against the young scouts themselves.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 4, 2013 12:29:13 PM

17. The solution for protecting the boys from sexual predators is clear: only lesbians can be Scout leaders, and the Roman Catholic Church can no longer sponsor troops. There. Problem solved.

Posted by: james | Feb 4, 2013 12:42:58 PM

18. "i'm so glad "if your son was gay" was brought up. because that's the reality".

I was too. She really struck a nerve there. I wish she had followed up and asked why he thought a "what if" situation was rude.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 4, 2013 12:52:30 PM

19. Zach Wahls completely OWNED this idiot... I was half-expecting a mic-drop at the end of it.

Posted by: Rich F. | Feb 4, 2013 1:01:00 PM

20. LMAO @ "mic-drop"

that woulda been KING!

the "if your son was gay" question needs to be addressed, hard, and followed up with every single person against the policy change. because these are the people who continue to ignore the reality that, well, some children are gay. these bigots are either raising their own kids to be intolerant bigots, or are massively damaging the sense of self worth in their own potentially-gay children, and for sure their children's gay peers.

do these people think that only "Leftists" give birth to gay kids? the only thing Leftists with gay children do is make sure doors are opened for them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 4, 2013 1:07:39 PM

21. Ed's first mistake was opening his mouth.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 4, 2013 1:10:15 PM

22. Wow - when met with calm rationality, the bigotry simply 'oozes' from Ed Whelan's pores.

It's people like Zach - or take it a step further - it's his two mothers that did a PHENOMENAL job raising Zach, that will change the climate of intolerance and discrimination in this country.

BRAVO to the entire Wahls family !

Posted by: Tre | Feb 4, 2013 1:21:56 PM

23. Doesn't this a;;hole or any of the other bigots realize that gay men and boys have been boyscouts since the beginning? I was a Cub and a Scout all during the time I was dealing with the fact that I am gay, and the idea never entered my mind that, because of it, I should give up what to me was a rewarding experience that was an important part of my life and which was helping in many parts of my life and adding to my education and training.

Posted by: Chip | Feb 4, 2013 1:22:49 PM

24. I half expected the bigot to answer with the tired old ignorant "My son would NEVER be gay."

Posted by: jexer | Feb 4, 2013 1:30:50 PM

25. A few highlights from the Ed Whelen, who apparently can't find a job so he makes up his own organization (only to embarrass it on national TV): 1) I don't know anything about the lesbian because that would blow my entire argument out of the water. 2) Asking a hypothetical question that I don't want to answer because I would look like the terrible homophobic father I am becomes an attack on my son. 3) So some religious denominations are for lifting the ban, the Catholics and Baptists aren't and apparently, they must own the Boy Scouts. 4) Doing the right thing is about money. Which if true, why would someone like Ed want his child to be part of an organization that sells out to the almighty dollar anyway?

This guy is another assclown. Maybe his little made-up organization can spare a room for Santorum's next foray into politics. Maybe Ed can be the chauffeur of the clown car.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 4, 2013 1:33:21 PM