Boy Scouts | Chipotle | Discrimination | News

Chipotle Cancels Sponsorship of Boy Scouts Event

Chipotle

Chipotle has canceled its sponsorship of a Boy Scouts Event in Utah.

Think Progress reports:

In an email, company spokesman Chris Arnold wrote:

By way of follow up, we have terminated our sponsorship of this event.

As I mentioned yesterday, community support decisions like this are made in a decentralized way and this one was inconsistent with our own policy. We believed that terminating the sponsorship and remaining consistent with our policy was the right thing to do, and we have reinforced our policy with the team that makes these decisions to try to prevent similar issues in the future.

Earlier...
Chipotle Does Not Support Companies That Discriminate Against Gays Unless They Are the Boy Scouts [tlrd]

Comments

1. Well that was quick. Good.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 19, 2013 12:10:33 PM

2. Well, I'll be going to Chipotle for lunch today in support of their decision.

Posted by: Dennis | Mar 19, 2013 12:11:41 PM

3. I'm hitting up Chipotle too!! Good for them.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Mar 19, 2013 12:12:41 PM

4. Well, I'm glad that bullying still works.

When this event ends up using Chic-fil-a to cater, I hope you guys will get some perspective. Oh wait, no, you'll just foam at the mouth.

Posted by: David | Mar 19, 2013 12:14:26 PM

5. Wanna bet that Chick-fil-A will step in here?

Posted by: marinerotx | Mar 19, 2013 12:15:35 PM

6. Wanna bet that Chick-fil-A will step in here?

Posted by: marinerotx | Mar 19, 2013 12:15:36 PM

7. UPDATE: Chipotle has cancelled their sponsorship of the event per T/P

Posted by: bkmn | Mar 19, 2013 12:19:08 PM

8. Chipotle's decision to sponsor an event of the Boy Scouts of the USA was, in fact, contradictory to their stated corporate policy. It did seem that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.
    So no bullying here....just a reminder to be consistent. I am happy to read this...I kind of like their buritto in a basket :-)

Posted by: excy | Mar 19, 2013 12:22:26 PM

9. Thank goodness!! Chipotle is really about the only fast food I eat. I would have hated to have crossed them off my list.

Posted by: Taylor | Mar 19, 2013 12:25:04 PM

10. So once again the many suffer for the few..

Posted by: Ha! | Mar 19, 2013 12:25:34 PM

11. it's not bullying when you're pushing back against, well, bullying.

suck it, haters. the world only spins forward :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 19, 2013 12:28:48 PM

12. @marinerotx, I'm getting really tired of this canard that if you boycott or protest against an organization that actively discriminates against a group, that is in fact YOU who are "bullying" them.

Has a single gay group EVER promoted the idea that Mormons, Catholics, or Evangelicals be denied the right to marriage? That they should be denied entry or services otherwise available to public, jobs, or housing?

But their argument seems to be "If we aren't allowed to openly discriminate against YOU, it oppresses US!" And they are the FIRST to threaten boycotts of companies, retail outlets, TV shows, actors and artists that acknowledge in any way, that gay people actually exist. It's only when the same thing is done to them that it suddenly becomes unfair.

In fact let's start the countdown right now. How long will it be before Tony Perkins, the AFA, Bryan Fischer, the One "Million" Moms (all maybe 20,000 of them), and others encourage their members/listeners to boycott Chipotles for this move. My guess is before the end of the day.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 19, 2013 12:30:51 PM

13. That's good. I like an veggie bowl from them every now and then.
    Strange it was so fumbled.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Mar 19, 2013 12:34:51 PM

14. Good.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 19, 2013 12:36:20 PM

15. Great - that's my lunch sorted :)

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Mar 19, 2013 12:40:01 PM

16. I wonder if Chick fil a will jump in.

Posted by: matt | Mar 19, 2013 12:47:41 PM

17. Changing your mind proves you have one they say, changing back to your original policy in this case proves that it was the best one.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 19, 2013 12:51:35 PM

18. What?? Wow! Good on ya, Chipotle. If I wasn't super broke today, I would get a burrito.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 19, 2013 12:55:50 PM

19. Saludos a Chipotle. Uds han ganado un cliente fiel por siempre!! Gracias!!

I've sent an email to Chiptole to thank them. I think we all should show massive support for them. Let them know that we are grateful.

It is a given that there will be a backlash from the neanderthal wing-nuts on the right. We need to help Chipotle weather the storm.

And, by the way, here where I live in NYC, in a neighborhood that is largely Mexican immigrants, I've found that there is surprising support for marriage equality.

My Mexican friends see discrimination against LGBT people as no different than the discrimination they've had to deal with. It comes from the same, poisonous sources.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 19, 2013 12:56:07 PM

20. I was certainly not threatening a boycott. I only suggested that I would not and could not support (spend my money) a company that supported (spend my money) a group that oppresses me (a former scout). Now it has been cleared up, so I will continue to spend my money there.

Posted by: Critifur | Mar 19, 2013 1:01:11 PM

21. Thank god cuz I love me some chipotle.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Mar 19, 2013 1:05:04 PM

22. Not to throw a damp rag on this, but Chipotle franchises have in the past hosted fundraisers for the Boy Scouts causing controversies like this. Oddly, they don't seem to learn their lesson. Let's hope this time they do.

Posted by: RomanHans | Mar 19, 2013 1:11:31 PM

23. Huge thumbs up for Chipotle. Glad that I can still support them with my money.

@CALIBAN--Awesome comment. Well reasoned, as you always seem to be on here.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 19, 2013 1:18:53 PM

24. I am sick and tired of the gays and their bully tactics. Chipotle didn't have to do this and I appreciate they did.

Posted by: Gonzo | Mar 19, 2013 1:19:38 PM

25. Gonzo - Chipotle has NOT been bullied.

Chipotle is a corporation. It is not a person.

It is impossible to bully a corporation as it is a non-human entity.

Posted by: MaryM | Mar 19, 2013 1:43:22 PM