BigGayDeal.com

Here's Audio of Michelle Shocked's Anti-Gay Rant: LISTEN

It starts at 4:37.

2_shockedSays Shocked:

"So it’s not too late. You can jump into this Jesus gang anytime you want. But, um, I was in a prayer meeting yesterday, and you’ve gotta appreciate how scared, how scared folks on that side of the equation are. I mean, from their vantage point — and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too — we are nearly at the end of time. And from our vantage point, we’re gonna be, uhhh, I think maybe Chinese water torture is gonna be the means, the method — once Prop 8 gets, uh, instated, and once, um, preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I’m pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back...You said you wanted reality....If someone would be so gracious as to please tweet out, ‘Michelle Shocked just said from stage, God hates faggots.’ Would you do it now?"

Shocked says she was misinterpreted. What do you think?

(via john becker)

Comments

1. Translation: My bank account and threadbare career would like to apologize for my bigoted, homophobic world view. Though I now state it was "ironic" there was no irony inferred at the time I spoke these words......

Posted by: Hdtex | Mar 20, 2013 6:21:49 PM

2. I don't know how the hell you can "misintrepret" that hate speech. Also...if she hasn't gotten therapy yet, perhaps she should consider doing so. Just a suggestion.

Posted by: Terry | Mar 20, 2013 6:29:06 PM

3. YES, I CAN SEE THE IRONY
    -- but that does not mean she was not going overboard and being ironical in order to express a hateful position.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 20, 2013 6:29:49 PM

4. "I mean, from their vantage point — and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too..."

Posted by: beef and fur | Mar 20, 2013 6:34:11 PM

5. Come on. You can tell she is just fighting the feelings she has for other women

Posted by: Jaysonn | Mar 20, 2013 6:34:30 PM

6. I don't care how messed up she is. That kind of aggressive homophobia is completely unacceptable. Don't ask me for sympathy. She doesn't deserve any.

Posted by: John Freeman | Mar 20, 2013 6:38:18 PM

7. First of all, who the heck is Michelle Shocked??? Am I only the one that has never heard of this lady? Second, HOLY CRAP! What a nutjob! And to say she was "misinterpreted" is almost as appalling as the words themselves. Umm you ASKED to be off the mic and then went on a rant lady. Come on!

Everyone you can contact her here at contact@michelleshocked.com

Posted by: Opinionated | Mar 20, 2013 6:40:11 PM

8. She asked for people to please tweet her remarks. She's been explicit about being a proud homophobe in the past so if she was just being ironic I would say that woulda been a good chance to state her non-ironic remarks.

This is a very screwed up person, and it's so sad to read her idiotic statements apart from these, about being "annointed and appointed" and that kind of drivel. Her reasoning about everything, not just these statements, is idiotic.

I don't know why I feel so sad for her, except that she's apparently very ill. Churchifying can't help clear her brain.

Posted by: stranded | Mar 20, 2013 6:43:03 PM

9. The irrational, delusional behavior of Michelle Shocked is an excellent example of what happens when folks approach life and faith from a place of uncontainable and unregulated fear, as in her fundamentalist belief system – it absolutely leads to psychopathology and maladaptation. I grew up Southern Baptist in Mississippi so this evangelical lifestyle is not foreign… I know these folks because the faith of my childhood creates them – it sets up judgment, arrogance, superiority, anxiety, guilt, paranoia, rule keeping, intolerance, and mind-numbing irrational thought processes as a way of life.

Posted by: scottc | Mar 20, 2013 6:47:39 PM

10. Her relationship with this audience is odd but speaking of the beliefs she describes: "I really shouldn't say 'their' because it's mine, too." Nothing ironic there. (Can anyone translate the Spanish part?)

Posted by: chris | Mar 20, 2013 6:48:06 PM

11. She is a nut case. She has taken too much acid or has a serious mental illness. She will be institutionalized when she becomes a danger to herself and others....which I do not believe is far from today.

Posted by: stephen | Mar 20, 2013 6:56:57 PM

12. She's toast--especially after issuing that lying statement.

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Mar 20, 2013 7:00:48 PM

13. I rarely quote Dan Quayle, but a mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Posted by: melvin | Mar 20, 2013 7:02:15 PM

14. Oh wow. Listen to the end. I don't know what's more astonishing, that she passes a hat and asks the audience for money or that there are still a few people left at that show that give her some applause.

It was kind of scary to hear the monster underneath all the playful stage banter when she says "Can I respond off microphone..."

Posted by: blank | Mar 20, 2013 7:02:55 PM

15. Seeing how rambling and disjointed the whole speech is, I can certainly see how it's *plausible* that she expressed herself poorly and really meant to say something closer to what she now claims she intended. But admittedly as actually spoken it lands a *lot* closer to the way it was initially reported than it does to her clarification.

Her brain was clearly not firing on all cylinders that night, there's no question about that.

So yeah, I probably won't actually delete the two albums of hers I have on my hard drive, like I was initially thinking of doing (as if that would make much of a difference, she's already been paid for them anyway). But my respect for her has certainly been diminished regardless.

Posted by: Craig S | Mar 20, 2013 7:05:40 PM

16. I really can't wait for this Jesus clown to come back. So I can kick him in his shriveled old zombie nutsac.

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 20, 2013 7:06:54 PM

17. Misinterpreted = I just realized the rest of my tour dates were cancelled.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 20, 2013 7:07:41 PM

18. Misinterpreted = I just realized the rest of my tour dates were cancelled.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 20, 2013 7:07:44 PM

19. Yikes. I just read through the transcript. When pressed to clarify at the time she really worked the smug superiority thing that fundies and politicians do so well. Can't be bothered to clarify, just dance around the obvious. Ugh.

When I was 13 I was a part of the Christianista cult, and I know how this mindset works. There's this feeling that you have to stir things up because everyone else is confused but you know the truth because Jesus has chosen you to save people from themselves. But I grew up and learned something about that sense of superiority. It's the same smug self-satisfaction that cames from the Bachmanns and Victoria Jacksons of this world. Truth is so simple to them because they have a book to explain it all away.

This was a deliberate stunt brought about by someone trying to "save" her audience from their "confusion." It wasn't a misunderstanding. She was given ample chance to clarify her odious statement.

Oh look, I'm sad no more. I legitimately hate her! Good job, ambassador of truth and love!

Posted by: stranded | Mar 20, 2013 7:11:24 PM

20. I think there's a disconnect between what she said, how she said it, what we hear, and how we heard it.

Posted by: Brian Stroup | Mar 20, 2013 7:18:11 PM

21. My marriage is part of the End Times, according to Ms Shocked.

"God Bless us, everyone!" she says at the end of the audio clip.

I'll be praying for you, Michelle. We're all going to meet our own personal End Times. I can't see that after 2000 years suddenly it's going to be Jesus conducting, but whatever.

Posted by: Glenn I | Mar 20, 2013 7:20:55 PM

22. That was FASCINATING! It was like a scene from a Robert Altman movie, a singer going mad onstage while accompanying herself on guitar.

She sounds about as crazy for Jesus as anyone else I've heard. The evangelizing itself would have put me off, much less the homophobia. Bravo to the audience members who took her on.

That said, I had never heard her before and she is indeed talented.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 20, 2013 7:33:17 PM

23. find her history many mental wards she was in her mother was also in mental wards look her up...

Posted by: tinden | Mar 20, 2013 7:46:01 PM

24. "it's my view too"

"I couldn't come here [to SF] and not be part of the conversation"

"truth is painful, isn't it?"

This isn't irony.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 20, 2013 7:50:17 PM

25. What an ugly thing it is to be it...

Posted by: wabinas | Mar 20, 2013 7:50:39 PM