20 Years Ago Today, the 1993 March on Washington: VIDEO

Marchonwashington

On April 25, 1993, what was then being called the largest gay and lesbian rally in U.S. history, tens of thousands marched on Washington D.C.. I was there. It was one of the biggest moments of my early life as an out gay man.

Watch news and videos from the date, AFTER THE JUMP...

March

Eyewitness News:

This clip says it was in June, but it was in April:

Comments

1. It's interesting to see how much the world has changed (sodomoy laws, Don't Ask, Don't Tell), but still has so far to go (ENDA, marriage).

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 25, 2013 1:03:42 PM

2. Thanks for posting this. I remember watching on CSPAN. Just remember Rupaul exciting the crowd. Whatever happened to the gay solider of the year?

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 25, 2013 1:04:47 PM

3. I don't care much for him now, but RuPaul was amazing at this event. It was also the first time I'd seen the AIDS Quilt, and my friends (all straight) and I were bawling. It was a great day.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 25, 2013 1:12:34 PM

4. first time to see Andrew Sullivan, first time to rent videos, ashamed so stayed in apartment whole time, how far we've come.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Apr 25, 2013 1:14:39 PM

5. I was there, drive up from Atlanta with a bunch if friends. I remember before the march in DuPont Circle every time a train let people off at the underground subway a huge crowd would cheer as the people emerged from the station with signs and banners. The entire city was gay tgat weekend. It felt like heaven to this 22 year old at the time.

Posted by: jersey | Apr 25, 2013 1:17:35 PM

6. I was there too, and it was hundreds of thousands.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 25, 2013 1:25:25 PM

7. We went with a whole caravan of our fellow students from Va. Tech. It was perhaps the most fabulous, exciting weekend of my life. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago and how far we've come since then. Wow! Seeing the AIDS quilt was particularly profound, devastating and touching at the same time. Oy, I'm getting the vapors just remembering. Geesh, 20 years, really?!

Posted by: Gary A | Apr 25, 2013 1:25:52 PM

8. Watching some of the YouTube clips. WOW I forgot Suzanne Westenhoefer was the MC.
    Some guy is walking around with a petition for gay marriage, something I thought was never going to happen.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 25, 2013 1:26:23 PM

9. I was there - the quilt was just devastating to look at.

Posted by: Steven Sayre | Apr 25, 2013 1:30:48 PM

10. I remember way back then... we were called gay and not LGBTABCDEFG

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 25, 2013 1:53:28 PM

11. I was there. Spent much of the day in the initial lineup waiting for Ohio's turn to march.

Posted by: Joe Lacey | Apr 25, 2013 1:55:37 PM

12. I was there- ended up marching with the Minnesota group, I think we waited 6 hours to march.

Posted by: jht | Apr 25, 2013 2:01:26 PM

13. That rosa winkle is inverted.

Posted by: nick | Apr 25, 2013 2:04:37 PM

14. as a 'veteran' of the october 79 effort, may i salute you all. every earnest push against the wheel moves history a little farther along our long road. take a bow.

Posted by: unokhan | Apr 25, 2013 2:10:07 PM

15. Last minute decision to go. Drove 3 days straight to Washington from S F. Stopped in Frederick Md Friday night April 23 to rest, it was snowing. Saturday morning the sun was blazing and it was beautiful. Found a hotel way out by Walter Reed Hospital but discovered a beautiful Rock Creek Park road goes almost direct to Dupont Circle where friends stayed. Fairy magic all the way. Had seen the AIDs Quilt in SF of course, but never spread out like it was on the mall. Everyone was moved to tears to consider all the lost friends/loved ones, just devastating. Not religious but service at National Cathedral also very emotional. Never found California parade contingent so marched with Texas group. Some beautiful guys in cowboy hats, made me rethink Texas. The march reinvigorated my sense that we would win the struggle because of the strength of all of us present and we are winning, still. OMG, we've come so far but has it really been 20 years.

Posted by: StevyD | Apr 25, 2013 2:22:06 PM

16. I was there and the exuberance and the sheer joy of hugging, marching, singing and witnessing gays & lesbians from villages, towns, sates and even countries far and wide was purely magical. We needed this at a time when we were going to funeral almost every week. I learned I was not alone and that yes...there is strength in numbers. It was a milestone in our ongoing struggle. Thanks for posting it. All the memories and tears came flooding back.

Posted by: shanestud | Apr 25, 2013 2:29:42 PM

17. Interesting a cut to two men kissing was accompanied by the commentator saying, "Some went out of their way to shock."

Posted by: Zach | Apr 25, 2013 2:41:40 PM

18. Wow! Truly humbling to see this. I was there with my best friend David and his then-boyfriend Brian. We were so young and so full of hope. It was a powerful experience for me.

Posted by: Brad | Apr 25, 2013 2:46:18 PM

19. It was a very sunny day- got an instant sun tan. I went to work the next day and everyone stopped and asked where I was "on vacation" . I told everyone that I was at the gay march in DC. I went home that night and in the NY Times article on the march, it stated something like "it was a day where a sunburn outed a lot of people".

Posted by: DK | Apr 25, 2013 2:46:24 PM

20. Andy, I was there too, but I don't remember seeing you. :-)

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 25, 2013 3:09:46 PM

21. Thank you to everyone who was there that day. How could it have been 20 years ago??

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Apr 25, 2013 3:17:24 PM

22. I was there too and remember how empowering it felt to be part of it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: Douglas | Apr 25, 2013 3:18:17 PM

23. I got significant sun exposure from waiting for a very, very, very long time for our contingent to start marching.... then my co-workers harangued me to explain how I had obviously been in the sun when the local weather had definitely not been sunny....

One thing that's really pretty cool is that a huge national march doesn't quite feel *necessary*, like it once did. That's the way it's supposed to work, right? Like, no one's marching for women's suffrage any more.

I wish all the folks lost to AIDS (before the significant advances in treatment now in place) could be here to see how much better things are now.

Posted by: American | Apr 25, 2013 3:23:20 PM

24. I was there too! We drove my old Ford wagon to the March, by the time we hit DC our brakes were metal on metal! It was way overwhelming being there, it brought tears to my eyes. My partner and I were waiting to march with New Mexico and Arizona. We decided to walk with a group of people that had flags of all the nations and I was given a Japanese flag! I marched with it a few blocks then handed it off to someone else. Faintly getting to march with New Mexico and then some with Arizona we made it to the Mall and the sea of people was just amazing. And the AIDS quilt! I still have my photo album that I made just for that event. Thanks for the memories.
    Juan T

Posted by: Juan T | Apr 25, 2013 3:36:40 PM

25. I was only 4 when this happened, but I want to thank everyone who was there. Your actions let me have an easier life.

Posted by: Hunter | Apr 25, 2013 4:08:09 PM