Andy Roddick | Mardy Fish | News | Sports | Tennis

Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish Speak Out Against Homophobia in Sports

Tennis pros Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish have signed on with Athlete Ally to fight homophobia in sports.

2_roddickRoddick released a statement signing on his support to the organization:

"Yesterday was an incredible day for athletes everywhere. Jason Collins' courage and leadership in coming out reminds me of how important it is for an athlete to be able to be true to him or herself.  As an Athlete Ally, I want to support every athlete to feel comfortable and confident being themselves and to make sure that all people - players and fans alike - are  welcome and included in tennis."

Fish released a statement as well:

"Everybody deserves a shot at playing sports. It shouldn't matter in the least if that person is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. Building community through healthy and inclusive activities should be one of the main focuses behind athletics, and that isn't possible if you exclude LGBT individuals, especially our youth."

Comments

1. I was never a huge fan of Andy Roddick as a tennis player, but he just won me over big time! (Too bad he's retired!)

Posted by: Asher | Apr 30, 2013 12:29:46 PM

2. Did you get a chance to see pictures Jason Collins and his [fem] Asian boyfriend ? They are all over Google.

Posted by: PE | Apr 30, 2013 12:34:08 PM

3. I'm a longtime fan of Andy and this makes me love him all that much more. Thanks Andy for lending us your support.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 30, 2013 12:36:04 PM

4. PE, thank you for your incredibly valuable contribution to this important subject.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Apr 30, 2013 12:41:03 PM

5. This makes me happy. Mardy Fish 2.0 is one of my favorite players to watch and I always liked Andy Roddick as a sports personality (wasn't too big of a fan of the one dimensional game). And, congrats to Taylor Hudson, who's been really nabbed some high profile supporters of late.

Posted by: kirkyo | Apr 30, 2013 1:07:00 PM

6. I will always love Andy, maybe even a little more now.

Though the door to heart remains open for Rafael as well!!

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 30, 2013 1:11:23 PM

7. Mardy Fish lives in the town I grew up in. Good for both of them!!

Posted by: Jon | Apr 30, 2013 1:14:38 PM

8. I have always had a thing for Andy,talented and easy on the eyes, just one of many hot male tennis players. Thank you Andy!!!

Posted by: Tom | Apr 30, 2013 1:26:04 PM

9. I've been a fan of Andy for practically his whole career and beyond. He's one of the most genuine and passionate of all the "celebrity" types who lend their names to good causes. As icing on the cake, he's adorable too.

Posted by: sparks | Apr 30, 2013 3:25:48 PM

10. Congratulations to Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish. They should be proud of what they did with their statement of support.

Posted by: Dave in Hartford | Apr 30, 2013 3:30:09 PM

11. I have loved Andy Roddick for years (and the fact he lives here in Austin has not lessened that admiration!) and I have supported his Foundation. This just confirms everything I have always suspected of him being a truly genuine and good person.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 30, 2013 8:25:57 PM

12. When you're a gentleman and a great athlete and you support important issues, your true colors come through. We should all be thank Andy for showing his true colors. One real guy!

Posted by: EJC | May 1, 2013 3:24:06 PM