Bill Clinton Introduces 'Bridegroom' Doc At Premiere

Bridegroom

As Andy noted earlier this month, the story behind last year's heartbreaking viral video, titled It Could Happen to You, has been translated into a documentary directed by Linda Bloodworth Thomason.

The feature length film is called Bridegroom and it premiered at The Tribeca Film Festival last week. Bill Clinton was on hand that night to introduce the documentary. The Huffington Post reports what the former president said:

"This is really -- on one level -- a wonderful, sad, heartbreaking yet exhilarating and life affirming story, and on another level it's a story about our nation's struggle to make one more step in forming a more perfect union, for which marriage is both the symbol and substance," Clinton told the crowd. "I hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

The Bridegroom has been well-received and the Hollywood Reporter writes that "there won’t be a dry eye in any theater showing (the film)."

Last night, the movie was awarded a big honor at Tribeca, netting the audience’s nonfiction award for a documentary film. Big congrats for a well-deserved win.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I read about their story on youtube awhile ago. There's no way I can sit through such a heart wrenching real life tragic. If you are not a whimp like me, please go see it.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Apr 28, 2013 8:31:10 PM

2. think the story is sad, and it's clear that marriage equality is needed on a federal level - sooner as better. But in this, the story itself, I do not understand why after 6 years together they did absolute nothing to try protect each other and their relationship - Legally as much as possible. People living in California has some they can do to protect each other, through the opportunities people in CA have & had. Especially considering that one of the Family was very anti-gay & did not accept that they had a gay son. I wish they had talked more about it (maybe they did it in the Movie. But I do not say it is right, the storie is heartbreking, but they where not smart to not use the protection that already exists. Maybe it had not made ​​any difference in how he was treated after his his bf death - but on the other hand, maybe it had made ​​a difference? Am I the only one who thought this.....

Posted by: nn | Apr 28, 2013 8:45:52 PM

3. @nn--It's not necessarily about being smart or not. When you're young and healthy you figure you're invincible, and a lot of the changes they would have had to make are tricky to undo. Maybe one or both of them wasn't quite ready. Six years can pass very quickly. It took my boyfriend and I four to start making legal changes to wills and setting up powers of attorney and other documents. That step feels big--in some ways, it drives the point home of just how much you're investing in that other person, in a way much more than going down, getting a license, and having the rights automatically ever does.

On a side note, I like that Clinton seems to be embracing his evolution, but I wish just once he'd acknowledge that his action and inaction over the last 15 years was a huge part of creating the landscape in which this story unfolded.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 28, 2013 8:58:39 PM

4. Nn- there are huge numbers of straight married couples who don't tackle wills or medical directives. Its something a lot of people fail todo. I Think the important point is that marriage would have simplified half those problems.

Posted by: robroy | Apr 28, 2013 9:32:32 PM

5. Any response from the parents?

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Apr 28, 2013 10:18:39 PM

6. They were just kids. Who makes wills out until they have kids or are faced with a life threatening illness or maybe turn 50?

Posted by: Reel Charlie | Apr 28, 2013 10:20:49 PM

7. I'm curious what his late boyfriend's parents feel about all this. I can't find any statements from the Bridegrooms trying to justify or apologize for their abhorant behavior after the death of their son. At this point it has to have been brought to their attention...

Posted by: cdubois | Apr 28, 2013 10:23:22 PM

8. Bill Clinton made life more difficult for all gay couples by signing DOMA into law. He is to us what Hitler was to the Jews.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 28, 2013 10:30:23 PM

9. lol oh Adam, you're so kooky

Posted by: Eric26 | Apr 28, 2013 10:41:09 PM

10. Ugh Adam. DOMA is horrific, but it's almost dead and held off a Federal Marriage Amendment. Politics is the art of the possible.

Posted by: kennedy | Apr 28, 2013 11:06:05 PM

11. @Adam--Um, torture and genocide is a little different than "made life more difficult," troll.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 28, 2013 11:16:27 PM

12. I've been with my husband for 28 years and we still have only partially dealt with the legal issues. It's complicated and requires constant tweaking to keep documents up to date...and each tweak is a billable hour. More importantly it pisses me off each & every time we do it because straight married couples don't have to. So, my blood pressure rises and I get my stiletto's out and have sick fantasies of putting one through Scalia's big head. Then I can't sleep.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 28, 2013 11:18:21 PM

13. "Bill Clinton made life more difficult for all gay couples by signing DOMA into law. He is to us what Hitler was to the Jews."

Your ignorance is stunning.

Posted by: JoshLondon | Apr 28, 2013 11:23:07 PM

14. We know the story and I don't know if we could sit through it without becoming blubbering messes. It was hard enough to watch the YouTube video, but I do want to see it.

On another note, we have bee together over 22 years and we still have not dealt with much of those issues. Fortunately there are no evil relatives waiting in the wings.

I am also wondering about the parents reaction to the movie.

Posted by: Patrick and Chuck | Apr 28, 2013 11:29:05 PM

15. It is sad and I realize they were young but from what I know, Tom and Shane had a very successful online marketing business plus Tom had other business ventures and owned property. Tom was pretty business savvy so I'm not sure why they didn't have a domestic partnership at least to cover some basic things?

Posted by: txrex | Apr 28, 2013 11:30:33 PM

16. Wasn't the guy's death somewhat of a mystery? If I recall he either fell off the roof or off the balcony. The roof would be more understandable (but why was he up there) while the balcony seems just plain odd.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 28, 2013 11:34:30 PM

17. @Patrick & Chuck...evil lurks behind every state line. Parents & siblings swoop in to grab what they can. I saw it happen many times during the early days of aids when friends were dying. Suddenly, family flew in...with nothing but the clothes on their backs...and their sloppy drawl. But, they left with plenty. My parents would be on the first plane out to get my body & my "things"...I would bet my life on that. Be smart and protect yourselves...please.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 28, 2013 11:56:34 PM

18. @Mike Ryan it was a roof while taking pictures of a friend.

So I saw the doc at Tribeca and sat through a Q&A with Shane. For the record, the Bridegrooms were contacted about appearing but they didn't respond. Also, they have declined all press.

although I strongly suspect that his sisters are in contact with Shane.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 29, 2013 12:09:54 AM

19. @Adam: You are a real A$$HOLE. I am probably not telling you something that you don't already know.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 29, 2013 12:34:19 AM

20. @andrew..."he" is not even a real person. Don't cast your seed to the wind.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 29, 2013 1:07:39 AM

21. @ Patrick and Chuck , I totally identify with your comment.
    The original vid left me reeling for days. The emotional power was just too much for me.

And your comment that many of us have still not gotten around to tidying up all the formalities is so true.
    These boys were still in the excitement of growing........but they had more than most, they had love for each other.

@Paul B : wise words, my friend. I too have seen this happen many times, as soon as one partner dies, the worm relatives gather to pick the bones........
    This must become our new cause, or at least high up on our "to do" list. And that would be a fitting tribute to these two beautiful boys and their loving relationship.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 29, 2013 3:04:51 AM

22. @Thomas @robroy
    About families to come in and make trouble when it comes to inheritance etc, it's often also happend with couples who are straight. There is nothing that can ruin families who otherwise seem to be friends and work fine in daily life. But when it comes to inheritance etc, then come easely conflict, greed and claw forward. Often it shows the worst side of people, you never in your wildest imagination thought beforehand. So I think it is extremely important, and we also arranged the things that testament etc when I was very Young, we did all that. Because you never know.....

Of course regulations/legislation will also be different in different countries.

Posted by: nn | Apr 29, 2013 4:08:01 AM

23. And I did not mean to be disrespectful, I just have thought about it since I first heard about their story ( see my first post)

Posted by: nn | Apr 29, 2013 4:11:11 AM

24. @Paul B: Thanks. I'll ignore "him" in the future.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 29, 2013 4:32:41 AM

25. BILL CLINTON?? YOU'VE GOT TO BE FKING KIDDING!

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 29, 2013 4:57:15 AM