Gay Slurs | News | Sports

MLS Player Alan Gordon Calls Opponent 'Faggot', Apologizes: VIDEO

Gordon

San Jose Earthquakes forward Alan Gordon got caught on camera mouthing the words "f**king faggot" at Portland Timbers player Will Johnson on Sunday.

Deadspin writes:

Indeed, if there's any doubt as to what Gordon said it can be seen in Johnson's immediate reaction above; his three fingers and what appears to be the words "three games" refer to the standard MLS disciplinary action for dropping an on-pitch "faggot."

Gordon apologized through the team:

"I would like to sincerely apologize to everyone who watched tonight's match on NBC Sports Network. The language I used came during a heated moment and does not reflect my feelings toward the gay and lesbian community. I made a mistake and I accept full responsibility for my actions."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Clearer video here.

Comments

1. "The language I used came during a heated moment and does not reflect my feelings toward the gay and lesbian community."

you said it, dude! you said it! how else can we understand your 'feelings'?

again, no apology accepted. once you say the words they are there forever...............

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 15, 2013 9:12:39 AM

2. They really need to stop making the claim that what comes out of their mouths during "heated" moments isn;t their true feelings.

It's the "heat" of the moment that turns off the filter that your thoughts normally pass through and get edited before you voice them.

Posted by: anonymous | Apr 15, 2013 9:22:21 AM

3. It's a pretty good apology, actually. I don't think fag is all that offensive; I hear it a lot even in San Francisco. So he was upset and isn't all that bright. Super. Big surprise. You wouldn't have received such an apology 10 years ago.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2013 9:33:36 AM

4. @Anon and mike, wth? have you never lived? are you guys 12? Fits of passion and rage totally exist. Also, the F word has been in play as an acceptable swear for a looooooooong time. Expecting everyone to stop forever is cruel. How many times have you said retarded, tranny or the n word? Do we get to write you off as a bigot who briefly exposed their true, bigoted nature?

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 15, 2013 9:57:05 AM

5. My use of "f**king faggot" does not reflect my feelings toward the gay and lesbian community.

LOL.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 15, 2013 10:01:34 AM

6. @Fenrox, "retarded, tranny or the n word"
    Never. I've never thought those words were acceptable coming from my mouth that they aren't in my vernacular so it doesn't pop up in moments of anger. The English language has enough obscene words that you don't have to use words such as those. I haven't even heard those words from people directly around me for at least 5 years (probably 10 years) and I live in LA. Maybe you should try to be around a better class of people or BE a part of a better class of people.

Posted by: unruly | Apr 15, 2013 10:18:03 AM

7. It's such an ugly hateful word, my question is, how does an adult not realize the ramifications of it?

Posted by: Sheila | Apr 15, 2013 10:19:36 AM

8. I find that what people say in the heat of the moment or when they're drunk to be a much clearer indication of who they really are, than what they say when they're not drunk or in the heat of the moment.

Having said that...I don't believe in letting other people's words have control over me. You can call me faggot all day long and not get a reaction out of me. I simply refuse to let anyone have that kind of power over me.

Posted by: Tony | Apr 15, 2013 10:19:50 AM

9. The word f-g has and will always be associated to gay people. Anyone who tries to say otherwise is doing so in a calculating way to get gay people to be complacent toward hearing that derogatory slur. Meanwhile, derogatory slurs against all other demographics are shunned by us as a society, but gays need to accept f-g as a part of common language. No, we really don't

Posted by: Jaxx | Apr 15, 2013 10:21:00 AM

10. So over them saying it, then apologizing for saving face. Here's a thought: don't say it at all. I've never had trouble not calling woman the C word. Not calling black people the N word. Not calling Jewish people the K word.

Posted by: Mikey J. | Apr 15, 2013 10:22:21 AM

11. What is most sad is he directed the slur at the same player who had the slur directed at him by another player in another match. Terrible

Posted by: two dads | Apr 15, 2013 10:25:06 AM

12. Damn, my original comment didn't show.

Anyway, I partially agree with Tony.....I don't let the f-bomb control me. It's not something I allow ruin my day. That doesn't mean I like it, however. I don't like it at all. It's a negative word, it's a word that cuts deep, and it's a word intended to emasculate and dehumanize someone. When used as an insult, it's an ugly word.

Fenrox, it's CRUEL to expect people to behave like decent human beings? CRUEL? What type of comment is that, wow, I expect more from you. No, it is not cruel to expect someone not to use anti-gay speech. And the fact it's acceptable to use as a slur is because homophobia is still acceptable in society, at least to a degree where our homosexuality is still looked down upon negatively enough where we're still the first thing guys go to to denigrate someone.

We wonder why players don't come out---it's crap like this. And the MLS has had players use slurs over and over and over again. And those are the player who get caught. What's sad is the MLS is supposedly one of the more accepting of the major sports.

This isn't OK, and it cannot be excused.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 15, 2013 10:48:46 AM

13. No the F word is not acceptable, not appropriate, not cute, not cool, and shame on any gay apologist trying to fit in with their hetero friends by okaying it's use.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 15, 2013 10:50:58 AM

14. I'm straight and I can assure you most all straight people who use the word f*ggot use it knowing it is tied in with gays. They use it against gay people behind their back. This notion that the word f*ggot has nothing to do with gay people is such bull. But it makes gay people with slightly homophobic friends feel less guilty about not educating their straight friends about their anti gay actions.

Posted by: Harris NYC | Apr 15, 2013 10:54:47 AM

15. I find it interesting that other groups of people, Latinos, black, Jewish, woman can and are often allowed to voice concern with any slurs said by people not members of their community, whether directed at their community or not....they are given a platform to be outraged and challenge the speakers slur.

When the gay community says we don't appreciate the word f*ggot, we're uppity gays who need to accept that f*ggot is up there with the word damn. And part of life. And whether we like it or not, we need to not be uppity gays, and deal with it.

Homophobia in our society is a disease. If you don't check yourself, you'll get it and be completely a willing participant in it without realizing.

Posted by: LazerLight | Apr 15, 2013 10:59:03 AM

16. To the people saying words don't have control over you, you're essentially demanding they shouldn't have control over other gay people as well.

So let me ask. If a white athlete gets on camera and calls another athlete a "filthy n-gger" would you also demand the black community not respond? We both know not only would you think it's appropriate for the black community to respond, you'd respond against the person using the N word yourself.

So why is homophobia and homophobic terms any different? Because gays need to know their place in society?

Posted by: JJ | Apr 15, 2013 11:02:09 AM

17. This bull SHT again with f_ggot not being anything correlated with gays? Go tell the gay kids who committed suicide and write in their suicide letters that they were called f_ggot every day by peers, and it drove them over the edge....that the word has absolutely nothing to do with gay people.

And no. Context doesn't matter. It's a word drenched in anti gay history. You use it? you're indirectly part of that anti gay history.

Posted by: Bama Man | Apr 15, 2013 11:04:21 AM

18. I love the narcissism displayed by some on here. Because the word has no impact on you, then it automatically should have no impact on anyone else, and if it does, those people are out of line for requesting some decency and respect.

The F word certainly has an emotional trigger for me. I was called that word every day by my highly abusive father. I went to school and was told I'd burn in hell while having the F word thrown as me. I'd come home from school and have my father beat me within an inch of my life while yelling that word at me. I've had that word follow me my life do to being gay by people who despised my being gay. Excuse me for not being indifferent to a word that haunts me and many thousands of gay kids at this very moment.

Height of arrogance to think your life experiences mirror everyone else's, and because they don't have the same response to a vile word as you do...they are in the wrong, and they are the ones who need to adjust their outlook. Not the speaker.

Posted by: Klien | Apr 15, 2013 11:11:12 AM

19. @ Klien

A to the men. Thank you for your honest, sincere and thoughtful response. Some people are so fixated on playing devil's advocate on these threads that they lack any ounce of emotional compass.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Apr 15, 2013 11:13:28 AM

20. I'd be not unhappy if this ended his career. I know lots and lots and lots of straight men who would never say "f*ggot" no matter if how "hot" a moment was.

If he's retained I'd be happy to boycott the San Jose Earthquakes.

Posted by: forward | Apr 15, 2013 11:15:25 AM

21. The word f****t is indeed at it's core referencing gay people, regardless of where it's used. The fact that it's the go-to insult for gay people makes it an anti gay slur. The fact that when a hate monger against gays gets livid, they go to that word, makes it an anti gay slur. And if I'm fighting for marriage equality and all sorts of equality, well societal respect is up there on my priority list of things to achieve for my LGBT community.

Shame on me if I ever find the use of the word f****t acceptable by those around me and pretend it doesn't affect my gay brothers and sisters.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 15, 2013 11:17:36 AM

22. Wow. Those of you saying "well, it's just a word, it doesn't bother me, why should it bother you" are really missing the point.

It's not about you or me.

The word hurts the most vulnerable in our population.

It hurts the 11 year old identifiable gay kid who doesn't understand why this word is consistently be directed at him, but is tormented my it. Try telling him to 'get over it'

Better yet. Why not foster a society that removes the word from it's vocabulary like we did sp-c, n-gger, c-nt. All words very casually used not long ago in casual convo by many. Today, we'd all denounce such language. The word f-ggot doesn't have to have a seat at the dinner table. It can and should as easily be shunned much like inappropriate slurs that came before it.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Apr 15, 2013 11:22:13 AM

23. I don't like this, and it makes me mad.
    But he apologized, and I was taught that I have to accept that. If he says it again, I won't accept it.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Apr 15, 2013 11:25:13 AM

24. @ Fenrox

Who the mother eff are you hanging out with where they frequently says f/g and retarded and tranny and b/tch all the time? Who ARE your circle of friends?
    Cuz I got me a circle of friends as diverse as the flavors in candy, and baby, not a one of my friends engages in that kind of talk. They know better. It's called adulthood.

A curse word is much different than any of the words you mentioned, except to a 8th grader. You either need to evaluate your friends, or stop feeling y'all are entitled to speak ignorance.

Posted by: Sheila | Apr 15, 2013 11:26:30 AM

25. This man apologized and I accept his apology....

....BUT....

To the few who dismiss this word as a perfectly reasonable part of spoken word: Know your history. This word goes much further than you and I; and our personal encounters with it.

No I've never been called a fggot to my face. But I do know many gay, lesbians, transgenders have taken their last breath on this earth with that word being hurled at them as they fight for their life. I know there's gay broken gay kids out there who had that word be the last word hurled at them before they hanged themselves. I know there were nameless gay people decades ago who were killed and burned alive with that word hovering over them. What a piece of sh*t I would be to dismiss the horrible history behind the word, and the lives killed in vain, all to be hipster and feel unassuming with a crowd of careless straight people.

Posted by: Tex-Mex | Apr 15, 2013 11:35:28 AM