EJ Johnson III | Howard Bragman | Magic Johnson | News

Magic Johnson's Gay Son EJ Speaks Out: VIDEO

Ej_johnson

Magic Johnson's son EJ talks about being outed by TMZ, and the coming out process in a new interview with Howard Bragman. EJ says that the man he was spotted with holding hands on the Sunset Strip is just a friend and not a boyfriend. He adds that his comfort level with himself has to do with a loving family at home.

EJ says his role models are Ellen DeGeneres, RuPaul, and Anderson Cooper.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Where are the non fem black men?LOL

Posted by: James | Apr 16, 2013 7:41:28 AM

2. I was hoping to get in before the self-hating
    queens chimed in but I see I was too late.

I think it's great that EJ has the love and support to be out and open and happy. He seems like a great kid and I wish the best for him. If only the rest of us had the same level of acceptance, both at home and in the workplace, the world would be much better for it.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 16, 2013 8:11:04 AM

3. And here come the effemophobes...

Posted by: Kieran | Apr 16, 2013 9:25:52 AM

4. He's young, brave and fantastic. EJ is role model in himself.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 16, 2013 9:26:40 AM

5. Anderson Cooper?!? A role model? Ugh.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 16, 2013 9:49:54 AM

6. I'm a 23 year old guy who came out at around the same age EJ did and I just love that our generation of gay men and women are able to be comfortable being who we are. There can be so much hypocrisy and negativity in the gay community so this kind of ease in owning one's identity is really heartening.

Posted by: L | Apr 16, 2013 9:50:30 AM

7. I think the femme thing is common when first coming out. It's a kind of security blanket that SOME gays grow out of and some gays fear. Some gays never grow out of it because its a way to continue being noticed in a group of men who often look straight through men who aren't gods.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 16, 2013 9:53:46 AM

8. His fat,black,and fem.3 of the worse things you can be in the gay community of course we all knew the cute guy with him wasn't his boyfriend.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2013 10:23:50 AM

9. What an articulate kid. Really great to see this -- especially as opposed to the son of thos Mormon 'phobes.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 16, 2013 10:57:49 AM

10. Wrong, Mike. But thanks for trolling.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 16, 2013 11:03:27 AM

11. A smart thoughtful nice kid

Posted by: Alex | Apr 16, 2013 11:10:25 AM

12. Spot on, Ehrenstein.

Articulate and Empowered - knows who he is, and doesn't give a whit if someone else takes issue with it. That's what happens when you have parents that support you for who you are, and not impose conditions on which they'll grant mere "bits" of love.

So, yeah. Let's have more Magic and less Salmon.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 16, 2013 11:17:55 AM

13. Effeminacy has never been the problem. The problem has been the outlandish mannerisms and clownish behavior exhibited by "flamboyant" gays. If you go around snapping your fingers and referring to men as "she" and "girl" then you are a minstrel act and deserve no respect.

Inasmuch as EJ doesn't act that way, I have no problem with him. Also, he gets bonus points for talking about gay people as opposed to the sham "LGBTQ" alphabet soup nonsense.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 16, 2013 11:43:04 AM

14. Even amongst bright, well-spoken university kids his age, he stands out as articulate to a level rarely heard in today's 20-year-olds [nary a "like" or "amazing" to be heard]. This is a damn impressive kid. Magic and Cookie: Well done!

Posted by: MFinBH | Apr 16, 2013 11:47:59 AM

15. Forgive me, but I see more Unique in him than Ellen or Anderson....RuPaul, perhaps.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 16, 2013 1:50:49 PM

16. "His fat,black,and fem.3 of the worse things you can be in the gay community..."

Riiigght... Whereas in the straight world, nobody cares what color you are, all the most popular swimsuit models are fat, and effeminate straight men and heterosexual drag queens dominate as CEO's and sports heroes.
    /sarcasm

@Mike: None of those prejudices are particularly prominent in the gay community. Prejudice exists everywhere but every indication is that the gay community is far MORE inclusive than general society.
    We have quadruple the number of inter-racial relationships as straights, inclusion of effeminate males and drag queens in gay media (even often to a point of disproportionate over-representation) and events where chubby bears or relatievely portly women are not just included but celebrated and even oggled.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 16, 2013 2:16:16 PM

17. What Jack said plus 1,000 times more!

Seriously you all need to get that PC dildo out of your loose a-holes!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Apr 16, 2013 3:18:03 PM

18. While I'm on the subject of loose a-holes, I own an audi because I have a microscopic penis and you tired old queens are usually pathetic size queens too and I need something other than my tiny wanger to keep a man happy.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Apr 16, 2013 3:22:18 PM

19. Ok, whatever bitter PC old queen posted that under my name is jealous and old. I'm almost 5" when fully hard and that's 3 whole inches longer than my mom's cock so I think it's pretty impressive. Tired old PC queens.

Posted by: Audi-owner | Apr 16, 2013 3:32:09 PM

20. What an ugly statement saying the "cute" guy couldn't possibly be his boyfriend. There are some folks out here who can see beuty beyond what society tells us we should be looking at.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Apr 16, 2013 3:50:49 PM

21. Idk what ideal communities you gays live in but amongst younger gay men there are not many white men who would date ej. That comes from personal experience

Posted by: R | Apr 16, 2013 4:08:25 PM

22. R, when did you become an expert on what young gay men want? I'm guessing in your personal experience, you associate with some pretty terrible people.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 16, 2013 4:20:32 PM

23. @MateoM

i guess so. but that's how the world works. gay or straight.

and Im sure we are all familiar with seeing "no fats no blacks no asians no femmes"

Posted by: R | Apr 16, 2013 4:38:01 PM

24. Quite familiar. Though I tend to avoid those people. Most of the gay men that I know, young and old, don't hold such prejudices. Then again, I wouldn't be friends with people who were prejudice like that. Either way, neither of us speaks for the entirety of the young gay community. And that was my main point.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 16, 2013 4:44:33 PM

25. @mateom

while i agree it's definitely wrong to make blanket statements like that. I do believe it is highly apparent. obviously there are exceptions but its not hard to see that its very apparent.

Posted by: R | Apr 16, 2013 4:53:22 PM