Jennifer Roback-Morse | News

NOM Leader Wears Ear Protectors to Anti-Gay Marriage Rally So She Won't Hear People Yelling 'Bigot': VIDEO

Morse

National Organization for Marriage leader Jennifer Roback-Morse broomed in to Minnesota over the weekend and told the sparse crowd at a 'traditional marriage' rally there that she wears hunting earphones so she won't have to listen to reality.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

. . .I was told that there might be a few hunters in an area like this and so I brought my ear protectors. I'm not a hunter myself. Do you guys have these sort of ear protectors? They're very snazzy. You can turn they on and they block out the noise, they block out a big loud noise like when you shoot your gun, it blocks out--you guys know what I'm talking about here?

Good, good, good. People in San Diego have no idea what I'm talking about. But I can hear you because I've turned up the volume on my little headset here. You can hear what you want, but you block out the noise.

Now why would I wear earprotectors to a marriage rally? Because there's a lot of noise in the marriage debate. You know what I'm talking about? Everytime somebody says, "You're a bigot," that's just noise. That is just noise. That is designed to keep you--when somebody says that, what happens? You go Ohh! . . .you suddenly immediately recoil, just like the shotgun going off in your ear.

So you have to do something to stop the noise, so you can think. And the people on the other side are very deliberate and intentional from keeping the subject away from the subject. Instead of the subject being, "What is marriage and why do we need it?," the subject is, "What's wrong with you guys that you're so mean to us and that you're on the wrong side of history?" That's what they want to talk about.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Roback-Morse also called marriage equality "nothing but a government registry of friendships."

When Vaughan Walker overturned Prop 8, he came up with a purpose of marriage that was completely gender-neutral. He said something like, “It’s the state recognition for two people who want to share their commitment with one another, and share resources, and take care of any dependents, if any,” you know? If you look at that purpose, there’s nothing there about children. It doesn’t even have to be a sexual relationship… It’s nothing but a government registry of friendships.

(via good as you)

Comments

1. Another religiofascist who lives in the 19th Century trying to foist her WRONG opinion (I say wrong based on mountains of scientific evidence) into the law. Ms. Morse is an anachronistic Catholic extremist.

Posted by: Michael Barber | Apr 22, 2013 10:10:37 AM

2. She's mentally ill.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 10:11:57 AM

3. So that device prevents you from hearing the truth? I thought she had one of those already built-in.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 22, 2013 10:13:06 AM

4. She needed ear coverage? I thought the tea party inability to hear truth and reason was built in.

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 22, 2013 10:13:10 AM

5. Going unscripted probably wasn't the best choice she could make. She sounds like a desperate, rambling nut job.

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 22, 2013 10:16:15 AM

6. And the band continued to play as the great homophobe ship sank below the waves.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Apr 22, 2013 10:16:26 AM

7. Well, Maggie Gallager looked educated in comparision with this woman

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 22, 2013 10:17:11 AM

8. One does get tired of the idiocy, the stupidity, the vapidity and, yes, the bigotry of these people.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 22, 2013 10:19:01 AM

9. Yes, there certainly is a lot of unwanted noise in the marriage debate. NOM is the source of most of it.

As to her remark on Vaughn Walker's ruling, there is nothing, not a thing, not a word in California's marriage statutes that requires an opposite gender married couple to have children. Further, two persons can be in a sexual relationship without being married (horrors!) or having children.

And if friendship isn't important to marriage, then the next time I hear a person in an opposite gender marriage say: "He/She is my best friend," I'll probably respond with: "But that's so wrong! Married people shouldn't be friends with each other! NOM says so!"

Posted by: james | Apr 22, 2013 10:22:18 AM

10. She has fingers doesn't she? It would be much cheaper if she just stuck those in her ears and shouted "la la la la."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised she was taken for a rube. It's apparent from her views on marriage equality.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Apr 22, 2013 10:37:39 AM

11. broomed... that's very good

Posted by: woody | Apr 22, 2013 10:43:24 AM

12. Someone ought to tell the old cow that there is NO MENTION of children in the traditional Marriage Vows.

OOPS!

(face plant)

Posted by: mc | Apr 22, 2013 10:43:39 AM

13. She be one crazy biatch.

Posted by: puggleboy | Apr 22, 2013 10:45:23 AM

14. It's a nice accessory for her tinfoil hat. Anything to keep reason from intruding!

But you know what? There probably will be "friends" who will marry so they can make medical decisions for each other, inherit property, etc. But so what? Does she really think the same thing hasn't happened between men and women, that ALL male/female marriages are based on "romantic" love? In some parts of the world arranged marriages are common and many barely know each other.

This woman is just another Catholic nut who wants to impose her religious beliefs onto civil law.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 22, 2013 10:48:10 AM

15. Reality, truth - must NEVER interfere with fanaticism and violent tantrums. It's exactly the same as a five-year-old jamming his fingers in his ears, singing "la, la, la," over a bedtime pronouncement. This is an adult! Mental illness!

Posted by: Geoff | Apr 22, 2013 11:00:08 AM

16. She probably borrowed them from her husband, who's known as a racist gun nut here in San Diego.

Posted by: Frank | Apr 22, 2013 11:08:04 AM

17. "La la la, la la la la la. Jesus loves me, la la la. Jesus hates you, la, la la la."

No doubt she has a gun to match her ear protectors.

Does she have children? Can we kidnap them before a priest gets his hands on them?

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 22, 2013 11:25:00 AM

18. If she wants to call it a "government registry of friendship" I'm fine with that, as long as the government calls it marriage.

Roback-Morse doesn't offer a single right, benefit or privilege that comes with marriage, the government does. So, she can call it whatever she wants for all I care.

Posted by: Taylor | Apr 22, 2013 11:26:48 AM

19. "Now remember folks, only Right Wing lunatics such as myself have a right to be heard - just like it's OK for us to boycott that godless JC Penny while it's bad for you sinful f*gs to boycott a good, Christian establishment like Chik-Fil-A!"

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 22, 2013 11:53:14 AM

20. Interesting that she has a hyphenated last name, which is usually a tell-tale sign of feminist leanings.

So I would classify her as yet another example of women feeling threatened by the loss of power that will ensue if men are truly liberated from emotional, social, and sexual dependence on women....which would cut the very foundations out from under power-seeking women.

Look for more of this as time goes on. Women will be increasingly in the vanguard of homophobia--indeed, the ring leader of the anti-same-sex marriage violence in France is a woman, not a man.

Women are not the friends of gay men, not when they face the prospect of actually having to regard them as equals rather than as inferiors and sources of entertainment.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 22, 2013 11:59:57 AM

21. Did Maggie Gallagher (not her real name) die?

Posted by: George | Apr 22, 2013 12:05:27 PM

22. I like to copy-pasta the same anti-woman drivel because my mother was always hogging my father's succulent penis. I hated that selfish wh*re so much, I now take my anger out on all women.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 22, 2013 12:10:15 PM

23. And still she doesn't get it.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 22, 2013 12:12:07 PM

24. @ woody :

Yes yes yes; I like that verb "broomed in " too.

So again we only have marriage for children !
    What a selfish harpie.
    "It's basic biology"......"ye all know how this works...".....what an idiot.
    I listened to all this crap without hearing anything about love......
    She's just another shrill old hag with nothing else in her life.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 22, 2013 12:30:46 PM

25. Bless her. She tries so hard.

Posted by: Lars | Apr 22, 2013 12:30:46 PM