Bret Lockett | Football (American) | New York | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

NY Jets Bret Lockett: I Don't Have a Problem with Gay Players

Lockett

New York Jets safety Bret Lockett spoke with reporter Mike Skiff at an APLA fundraiser last Saturday. Lockett spoke about his involvement with anti-bullying organizations, and the rumors (now quashed) the a group of NFL players are planning to come out.

Said Lockett:

"I think it's interesting and I think it's going to happen sometime soon now. It will definitely stir up a crazy controversy among the media and everybody else, but I don't have a problem with it. I support everybody. Everybody has a right to do what they want. I don't have a problem playing with anyone who would be gay. At the end of the day, as long as they're a great football player, that's all that matters."

Lockett was also asked what he'd say to players who have a problem with it:

"Get out of their box. To open their horizon because most of the time, their fear, their fear or their homophobia is that 'Oh this guy wants to touch me or do things to me' (and that's not true).

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not the first time Bret has spoken out in support of a proverbial gay player and he also participated in the NoH8 campaign a few years ago. Although the sports world has a lot of ugliness in it still, unfortunately, we're seeing several guys prove themselves to be upstanding men.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 10, 2013 9:56:01 AM

2. I personally feel that as a whole, most teams won't care if a player comes out. I think the problem would come from the media making it more of an issue/distraction. I also think the gay rights groups would be hounding that person to be more visible as an advocate. I've always felt advocacy is something someone chooses and isn't forced upon them.

Posted by: Derrick | Apr 10, 2013 10:13:44 AM

3. "I personally feel that as a whole, most teams won't care if a player comes out. I think the problem would come from the media making it more of an issue/distraction."

I agree.

Posted by: Chitown kev | Apr 10, 2013 10:20:09 AM

4. Most players/teams may not care but they wouldn't accept it, either, if you take into account what Robbie Rogers went through and what Brendon Ayanbadejo has said, which is that homophobic slurs and language is rampant in locker rooms. The Seahawks didn't even respond to questions whether they would accept a gay player until three days.

We saw what NFL teams think about gay players when they intentionally tried to out some during the NFL combine, so they could avoid drafting them. I think most players care about winning first and foremost and they'd learn to live with a guy whose gay/bi and talented and helps them win. A lot of guys have the "I don't care as long as we win" or "If he can play, he can play" mentality but that's not the same as truly being accepting. Chris Clemons just last week said it would be selfish if someone came out and another player agreed with him. Most players don't touch this issue until asked about it directly or not at all so we really don't know what they think or would do when/if a player comes out.

The culture in sports needs to change first and foremost, top to bottom.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 10, 2013 10:21:21 AM

5. He's handsome. He reminds me of the men I knew back in...

Oh, shut the f.ck up, b.tch. Nobody wants to read about what happened 30 years ago.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 10, 2013 10:44:34 AM

6. Does anyone care what these soon to b brain dead idiots in spandex think about ANYTHING?

Posted by: Kevin thor | Apr 10, 2013 5:42:40 PM

7. These homophobes in the NFL need to get a grip. If they have so much fear over a gay player in the locker room, then they're definitely not tough enough to be a pro football player. Now grow a pair ya pansies!

Posted by: Hank | Apr 10, 2013 8:33:57 PM

8. Thanks for the support Brett! and Derrick from Philly...you're hilarious...brutal but hilarious.

Posted by: Bryson | Apr 11, 2013 1:55:57 AM