Music | Music Video | News | Pet Shop Boys | Stuart Price

Pet Shop Boys Unleash 'Axis', Opening Track of New Album: VIDEO

Psb

The Pet Shop Boys today released the first video clip off their upcoming, highly-anticipated album produced by Stuart Price.

2_psbWatch the banging track "Axis", AFTER THE JUMP...

Along with some more news:

Pet Shop Boys new album, "Electric", will now be released worldwide on July 15th (international dates vary) and is the first to appear on their own label x2 through Kobalt Label Services. Produced by Stuart Price, "Electric" features nine tracks in total – eight brand new songs plus a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s "The last to die" - and has a running length of 50 minutes. The British singer and rapper, Example, performs on one track, "Thursday". The album was recorded in London, Berlin and Los Angeles over the last six months with one track, "Fluorescent", written and recorded within the last month. Neil and Chris comment: “Our latest album often evolves as a response to our previous album and, whereas ‘Elysium’ had a reflective mood, ‘Electric’ is pretty banging! And working with Stuart Price on a studio album is something we have wanted to do for a very long time." The artwork is by Farrow.

Watch "Axis", AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the tracklist.

1. Axis
2. Bolshy
3. Love is a bourgeois construct
4. Fluorescent
5. Inside a dream
6. The last to die
7. Shouting in the evening
8. Thursday (featuring Example)
9. Vocal

Comments

1. Yikes! I guess they need money for maintenance in their old age - but I doubt this will help.

Posted by: Markt | Apr 30, 2013 9:01:52 AM

2. I love the PSB, but their music has utterly failed to evolve or incorporate or be influences by contemporary and underground music.

This track isn't even a throwback to the 80s, it is the 80s

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 30, 2013 9:05:29 AM

3. @QJ201 You say that like it is a bad thing! I loved it (I'm 27). I really like the sound of the 80's.

Posted by: TONEZ | Apr 30, 2013 9:10:26 AM

4. Love it

Posted by: Omar | Apr 30, 2013 9:25:15 AM

5. I am a boomer and LOVE the PSBs. First fell for them when I was living in San Francisco.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 30, 2013 10:02:18 AM

6. The Human League called. They want their song back.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Apr 30, 2013 10:06:01 AM

7. Big fan of these guys since back in the day, but if you want to hear the future of electronic music go to soundcloud and search on MitiS and hear what this guy does. Favorite track today is Life Of Sin Pt. 3.

Posted by: rob | Apr 30, 2013 10:20:07 AM

8. love it!! I like that PSB have their own sound and dont pander to anyone. Thats why they are still around :-)

Posted by: Chicklets | Apr 30, 2013 10:49:37 AM

9. This song is terrible. I don't get it at all.

Posted by: Jon B | Apr 30, 2013 11:13:39 AM

10. Embarrassing.

The track and the video have all the originality of the stock music used in trade shows. You expect some oily marketing type in "business casual" to walk out and try to sell you eCrap.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 30, 2013 11:49:34 AM

11. I love it. It's like a Giorgio Moroder, Cerrone, Kraftwerk three-way on acid.

Posted by: Duncan | Apr 30, 2013 12:18:42 PM

12. Nice to see the queens didn't give all their attitude to MDNA and saved some for PSB.
    God girls, give it a rest!

This is TRUE PSB style and I LOVE it!

If you don't like it, you're not much of a fan.

Sheesh.

Posted by: marc | Apr 30, 2013 12:29:04 PM

13. Meh. I wanted to like it but just.... didn't. Too plinky plinky soulless synthpop IMO.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 30, 2013 12:29:43 PM

14. Love it...this is going to sound AMAZING in a club on the right sound system. The video borrows heavily from The Knife (Silent Shout) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Posted by: nuflux | Apr 30, 2013 1:40:38 PM

15. Stuart Price always infuses a nice sense of drive to the projects he works on. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Posted by: moike | Apr 30, 2013 2:16:12 PM

16. awsesome!

Posted by: Carlos | Apr 30, 2013 6:29:22 PM

17. @ marc
    I AM A TRUE TRUE fan. But "Elysium" was a major disappointment and now this song... it's terrible. It is a classic PSB sound, that's fine, but it's sort of a DUB version of what could have been the real song. It could be a B-side, but an album track? let alone the leading single???.... No, no, no...

I don't get the idea of putting out a first single from your forthcoming album with no vocals on sight. They're not Daft Punk! (ironically DF have put out an actual sung song to promote their new album)

I just hope the album is so much better than this!

Posted by: ElCid | Apr 30, 2013 7:34:17 PM

18. Well, "Yes" was one of the best CDs I've bought in years (and certainly the best Pet Shop Boys since "Vs."), so I'll probably check this out. However, this track is definitely not grabbing me like the previous disc's "Pademonium" "Beautiful People" "Did You See Me Coming" "LIke The Way It Was" etc.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 30, 2013 9:51:41 PM

19. Hey ElCid,
    Thanks.

I'm also a true Madonna fan and love everything she has ever done. I have never poo pooed anything she has done because I am a loyal fan.

It's the same case with Depeche Mode and PSB. I absolutely love them (yes, I would marry them if I could, that's how much I love them) haha.

You bring up Daft Punk. I can't stand Daft Punk and dislike thier new song very much, but I'm not a fan of theirs so I don't feel bad not enjoying it.

I thought Elysium was a great album.

Everyone who craps on this is not a true fan in my books. I guess it's time for you to either move on to something else or wait 3-4 years for another new album and hope for the best???

M.