AIDS/HIV | Crime | Houston | News | Texas

UHD Student Targeted with Anti-Gay Flyers Printed with Medical Records and HIV Status

Sharp

Some disturbing attacks on a student at the University of Houston-Downtown where Kris Sharp, a (not yet official) candidate for student government has been targeted by flyers posted around campus printed with Sharp's medical records that accuse him of promoting a "homosexual agenda".

Houston Press's Hair Balls blog reports:

"I was initially really devastated that this could happen," Sharp, who has taken a week to digest the message, told Hair Balls. "What was going through my head was, 'How quickly can I transfer?'"

Sharp, who'd recently spoken openly about both his sexuality and HIV status, had heard that the flyers were floating around. He'd heard mention that someone was handing them out to passersby, but doesn't know whether anyone's yet laid eyes on the individual, or individuals, who spread these papers through campus. He only knows that he wasn't expecting something this despicable, this horrific, when he initially announced an interest in running for student body president next month...

..."I've never seen anything like this -- this is the very first time anything like this has occurred [on campus]," says Sharp. "There's a culture at UHD that is somewhat less accepting of LGBT youth, but something of this magnitude is completely mind-blowing. I knew, going into the election, that I could possibly be targeted because of my sexuality -- but I had no idea that it would go to this level."

The university and its police department has begun an internal investigation, and say they believe it's an anomaly, and not indicative of the attitude on campus or the school's policies. Sharp says he believes he knows who did it and wants an apology, not criminal charges.

The Daily Cougar adds:

The clinic Sharp goes to, Thomas Street Health Center, is a few blocks away from the school, and patients will not be seen without proper documentation — even with an appointment. He doesn’t have a car, so he brought a folder of the required medical information with him. As a student senator, he shares a common office space with the other members of the Student Government Association and believes someone got the information from his briefcase when he was away.

While some students have been giving him a hard time, he has not lost the support of his running mate.

“(Isaac’s) been a trooper,” Sharp said. “If I was him, and I was straight, I’d probably drop me.”

Sharp sent an email to several news outlets and posted a response on Facebook, making it clear they would not respond to the negativity by engaging in illicit behavior.

“We will instead continue to progress in our campaign to enhance the student experience at the University of Houston-Downtown for all students — no matter their race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or gender identity and expression.”

Comments

1. That is disgusting. I hope they find the guy.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 5, 2013 2:13:34 PM

2. ten bucks says the person(s) responsible don't have the spines to stand up and say it out loud.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 5, 2013 2:16:14 PM

3. The feds should step in prosecute regardless for HIPAA violation.

Posted by: Tarc | Apr 5, 2013 2:22:41 PM

4. "The feds should step in prosecute regardless for HIPAA violation." This x200.

Posted by: Mike B. | Apr 5, 2013 2:23:24 PM

5. Absolutely HIDEOUS.

And yes, it's a major HIPPA violation...especially when the medical information is used against someone. I smell prison for someone!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Apr 5, 2013 2:27:02 PM

6. Not only is this appalling, this a federal crime. Technically the FBI can be brought in to investigate.

Posted by: Rich F. | Apr 5, 2013 2:27:07 PM

7. The school and police should definitely pursue criminal charges, even if the victim wants to drop it. Someone who feels entitled to break the law to bring others down is a threat to everyone on the campus.

Locate the scanner or copier that was used to copy the records. They usually leave distinctive marks, and there can't be that many to choose from. If successful, dust the documents for prints and compare with people who had access to the copier.

Of course, there are also occasional hoaxes aimed at getting attention and sympathy, so that's a possibility, too.

Posted by: JJ | Apr 5, 2013 2:31:10 PM

8. as someone newly diagnosed as having HIV, this sends shivers through my body. Such an evil thing to do!

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Apr 5, 2013 2:37:44 PM

9. What a terrible crime. The FBI should be involved - this is a serious matter.

That being said, I hope this isn't a hoax for attention.

Posted by: John | Apr 5, 2013 2:38:08 PM

10. "Sharp says he believes he knows who did it and wants an apology, not criminal charges."

Its nice he just wants an apology but seriously, the perp needs to be expelled. Even if you ignore the anti gay stuff, this is still wrong. Theft, defamation, invasion of privacy etc. And if they are also actually in the student government then iys even more wrong the person is in a position of responsibility.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 5, 2013 3:02:35 PM

11. An atrocious, disgustingly inhumane story. The school definitely should step in and send a message here. This is a federal offense and the kid(s) involved here need to be punished. A slap on the wrist would send a bad message to the student body that anti-LGBT harassment is acceptable.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 5, 2013 3:03:09 PM

12. Boom, Congrats on winning dude! Handling such a horrible, heinous thing with tons of grace is endearing, you will win for sure!

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 5, 2013 3:46:13 PM

13. Boom, Congrats on winning dude! Handling such a horrible, heinous thing with tons of grace is endearing, you will win for sure!

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 5, 2013 3:46:14 PM

14. How is this a HIPAA violation if it wasn't a doctor or hospital, but rather another student who got the records and copied them? I would say this is ordinary theft.

Anyway, although the theft of these records is clearly wrong, I don't see how this is so "devastating," since he openly discussed his HIV status. It is like outing someone as gay who is already out.

Lastly, I do wish I could understand how it is possible in 2013 for someone to get HIV. This guy is smart enough to go to college and run for student president, but he isn't smart enough to avoid a virus that we have all known about for over 25 years? Stop with the hookups and Grindr and A4A. It is literally killing people.

Posted by: Matteom | Apr 5, 2013 4:02:33 PM

15. I don't know who this other Matteom is, but he's extremely ignorant and lacks any sort of empathy. Creep.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 5, 2013 4:04:55 PM

16. MateoM, it's "you know who" - the resident trolling eunuch.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 5, 2013 4:05:47 PM

17. It's still absolutely astounding to read day after day the level of vitriolic hatred of gays in the USA. I have never seen or heard it like this in other western countries.
    Perhaps we are not that far from Uganda and Guinea after all.
    I hope they get the perpetrator of this outrage......and Matteom, you are a fool.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 5, 2013 4:25:22 PM

18. You might not like what Matteom has written, but he's made all good points.

And unlike you, he did it without being insulting, hypocritical, and hysterical.

You can have empathy for someone without being hypocrites yourselves.

This isn't a federal crime. His HIV status was not a secret. He had no expectation of privacy there at all.

Cut the knee-jerk hysterics and act like adults for a change.

Posted by: Franklin Black | Apr 5, 2013 4:48:34 PM

19. A HIPPA violation is a very serious offense. I hope the person who did this knows that...he or she is going to need a VERY good lawyer...

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 5, 2013 5:19:28 PM

20. So much to think about. Let's start with the item hat seems to be giving the greatest challenge to civility: How you get infected in 2013. There are lots of possible answers – he was in love, the guy lied (about the condom, not his sero status), the condom broke. We don’t know if he did something stupid. And if he did, young people do, you know. There are lots of things I can think of in my life.
    The tone of the first matteom was accusatory. And that is unnecessary. Whatever the root cause, the guy does not deserve additional blame. That has been proven to drive epidemics underground, where they flourish.
    And if you take a more Calvinist approach on his infection, does that mean he has no right to sympathy for this awful action? I think not.
    The HIPPA connection should certainly be investigated, although neither story raises my greatest fear: that the leak is based at the clinic. What clinical documentation would one need to bring to a clinic visit as an established patient? And why would the clinic not get the records from the earlier provider? It does not add up. But there is probably more and I hope the clinic is in the clear.
    Finally, I’m surprised no one has brought up the homosexual agenda. I wasn’t at that meeting, so I have no idea what the agenda is. The use of that term tells me something about the knee jerk reaction of the person who made the sign.
    And what’s with the headline? Want AIDS Voting for him will bring AIDS? He will spread AIDS in his role in student government?
    I am old enough to remember the way things went in Ed Koch’s first run for Mayor: Don’t vote for the homo; vote for Cuomo. Anyway, that’s my (more than) two cents.

Posted by: blf49 | Apr 5, 2013 6:48:32 PM

21. That has been proven to drive epidemics underground, where they flourish."

No, coercive measures may, in some instances, drive an epidemic underground. But creating standards of conduct and insisting that people consider their own health and health of others does not drive epidemics underground. No one is suggesting that this man be arrested, but why shouldn't he be questioned? To catch HIV in 2013, when everyone knows exactly how it is transmitted, raises a question of character. He should be questioned about it. And everyone else should take note that acquiring HIV is not the mark of a hero; it is an indication of failure of some kind.

Posted by: Matteom | Apr 5, 2013 8:44:59 PM

22. Not a popular view to express, Matteorm ! LOL

But, come on people... He's got a point.

You don't like it, I'm sure, because it makes HIV prevention YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.

Which it is. You don't HAVE to get HIV. It's a choice. You are not a helpless victim. Unless you CHOOSE to be one.

Yeah, condoms break, but really, how often does someone get HIV from a single exposure ? Let's hear all the contradictory information from "the experts" that say yes, no, maybe.

I think that if more people asked questions, more people would conclude that HIV is something it's time we decided we don't need, and grew out of it. A lot of us have grown up, maybe it's time the rest of you join us !

And for the what 3rd time, this isn't an example of a HIPPA violation, you freakin' retards.

Posted by: Fred | Apr 5, 2013 9:51:48 PM

23. where do some of these one time posters come from, out from under which rock do they crawl?

Posted by: bandanajack | Apr 5, 2013 10:56:59 PM

24. I'm so sick of hearing how homophobia is getting eliminated in society and the tides are completely turning. Most people who say this are either living in Manhatten or Los Angeles. YOU HAVE NO CLUE THE LEVEL OF HOMOPHOBIA THE REST OF US FACE...especially those of us not living in NYC. This past month, my neighbors have been targeting our home with anti gay graffiti and people drive by our home yelling f-gs at my boyfriend and I. We've reported it, and authorities couldn't care less. In many parts of the country, homophobia has been escalating recently far more so than before, and it's so frustrating for those of us experiencing it to have LGBT living in big cities pretend like we're living in a post homophobic society when they are totally detached to what LGBT in many parts of the country face on a daily basis.

Posted by: Jose | Apr 6, 2013 3:11:31 AM

25. LOL at the anti gay trolls who latch on to the HIV rants. Dude, you guys aren't even GOOD at trolling. Your HIV hissy fits directed at people who contract it are a sure bet sign of homophobia that we've hard from HOMOPHOBES for years. If you're gonna come on our site and troll, why not be more vague about it?

Posted by: Conrad | Apr 6, 2013 3:14:54 AM