Anita Bryant | Film | News | Uma Thurman

Uma Thurman to Play Anti-Gay Activist Anita Bryant in New Biopic: VIDEO

Bryant_pie

Uma Thurman has been cast as anti-gay activist Anita Bryant in Anita, according to The Hollywood Reporter:

BryantThe film follows Bryant, a former celebrity singer and orange juice spokeswoman, who, when she allows a gay screenwriter into her home, is forced to confront her past as an anti-gay Christian crusader who successfully campaigned to overturn a gay rights law in Florida and destroyed her show biz career in the process.

The film will be directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman from a screenplay by Chad Hodge and produced by Darren Star, Howard Rosenman, Jeffrey Schwarz and Dennis Erdman.

Watch the famous news clip of the moment Bryant was hit in the face with a pie by gay activists, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. She was hit by ANTI-gay activists?

Posted by: jtaskw | May 16, 2013 2:22:34 PM

2. I think you probably meant to say "hit in the face with a pie by gay activists", but we get the point. What a horribly misguided lady she was but times haven't changed that much. Now we have Michelle Bachman and Ann Coulter to deliver the crazy.

Posted by: (the other)jamesintoronto | May 16, 2013 2:24:56 PM

3. I kind of have Anita Bryant to thank for my coming out. She was such a terrible person I had to speak up and tell my parents why I thought she was and how it affected me.

Posted by: Frank | May 16, 2013 2:28:44 PM

4. I kind of have Anita Bryant to thank for my coming out. She was such a terrible person I had to speak up and tell my parents why I thought she was and how it affected me.

Posted by: Frank | May 16, 2013 2:28:45 PM

5. her stepson went to my college and you could kind of see the hate radiating off the woman. Read Kathie Lee's book about working as her assistant, maybe that's how she got so screwed up? Go for it, Uma, no worse than being married to Ethan Hawke.

Posted by: Cd in DC | May 16, 2013 2:34:19 PM

6. I can't help but wonder if this a result over someone crying over spilled Milk. (Get it? Milk? Yeah, that was lame.)

But, seriously, why Anita Bryant? What could we possibly learn from her story that would be beneficial? To get inside the mind of someone who, obviously, held up in utter contempt. I just don't know about this. But I do love Uma Thurman so I'm sure she's doing it for her personal reasons of trying to get inside the mind of someone like Anita. I just hope this doesn't portray the community in such a negative light.

Posted by: mickyflip | May 16, 2013 2:43:29 PM

7. *Us not up. My bad

Posted by: mickyflip | May 16, 2013 2:43:54 PM

8. Yeah, let's drag out every anti-gay horror show and make it into a movie-- so we can justify now. "The Lavender Scare" adds to the hysteria. In this case we jump to the 1950's, and oh what a version of hell that was. We really came of age in the late 20th Century. Anita fought us, but we fought her back, and we weren't fighting to marry. Resistance still doesn't make today's option any more feasible. Being like "everyone else" just like a straight married couple, was never a gay goal I heard in my 20's. These shock value documentaries are to remind us what it once was, and could be like. They are designed to scare us into the next dismal chapter of gay history. The assimilation years. Don't be deluded that anyone has waved a magic wand, now making homosexuals universally accepted, but I'm sure our "rights" will protect us.

Posted by: GB | May 16, 2013 2:48:44 PM

9. Man, you are a biiter person GB!

Posted by: BETTY | May 16, 2013 2:52:01 PM

10. You're sweet Betty. Thank you.

Posted by: GB | May 16, 2013 3:03:04 PM

11. Uma is AMAZING and the filmmakers are AMAZING. Be prepared to be AMAZED.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 16, 2013 3:03:32 PM

12. Ouch, GB, that whiny, cold diatribe actually made my scrotum get so small my balls hurt now!

Posted by: johnny | May 16, 2013 3:06:51 PM

13. Your crotch is your best friend Johnny.

Posted by: GB | May 16, 2013 3:08:47 PM

14. Your crotch is your best friend Johnny.

Posted by: GB | May 16, 2013 3:08:48 PM

15. Love Uma! And this movie has got great directors and writer attached.

Posted by: Apparatus | May 16, 2013 3:12:00 PM

16. @GB
    What were your goals as a 20's something gay man. Give us the details.
    Not being snarky, I'd really like to know.

Posted by: JONES | May 16, 2013 3:34:17 PM

17. ...she sabotaged her own career - heck, if she would have just stayed OUT of this fight, and just pushed OJ - no doubt she'd STILL be singing OJ commercials.....

Posted by: disgusted american | May 16, 2013 3:34:30 PM

18. Having worked in the anti-Anita campaign in Miami in 1977, I'd be thrilled by the teachable potential in the long-overdue dramatization of the nativity of the national antigay movement. Because it was the first antigay battle to become national news, everyone there was so certain it would quickly be made into a film that someone wrote a list of which actors might portray the key players on the office men's room wall [which, unfortunately, I never copied nor can remember]. Strange it's taken over 30 years, and I'm skeptical of Thurman capturing her, but better late than....

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | May 16, 2013 3:41:02 PM

19. Uma Thurman? Where's Meryl Streep when you need her?

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 16, 2013 3:51:46 PM

20. Meryl already did a homophobe.

Posted by: JONES | May 16, 2013 4:07:14 PM

21. She was prettier than I remembered. Didn't her husband get caught having gay sex? Or I forget why they divorced.

Posted by: Markt | May 16, 2013 5:24:29 PM

22. Those self proclaimed homosexuals had good aim.

Posted by: jaragon | May 16, 2013 5:53:54 PM

23. The complete unexpectedness of a pie to the puss.
    A very unique show of disgust.

Posted by: JONES | May 16, 2013 6:14:52 PM

24. Rob Epstein focking jew.
    Jeffrey Friedman focking jew
    Chad Hodge
    Darren Star focking jew
    Howard Rosenman focking jew
    Jeffrey Schwarz focking jew
    Dennis Erdman focking jew

So what you have here is a bunch of focking jews using you faggots to tear Christianity as part of the their plan to implement communism.

Congratulations on coming out of the closet and straight into 'DUPE' status.

Posted by: jamman | May 16, 2013 6:28:29 PM

25. @jamman

Grow up, your bigotry is showing.

Posted by: jsb | May 16, 2013 6:39:42 PM