Mars | News | Space

More Than 78,000 Sign Up for One-Way Trip to Mars: VIDEO

3_marsone

A Netherlands-based non-profit called Mars One has begun taking applications for pioneering Mars colonists it plans to finance “by staging a global reality-TV event, with cameras documenting all phases of the mission from astronaut selection to the colonists’ first years on the Red Planet.”

Via The Space Reporter: Marsone

So far, plenty of people are interested in this job offer. As of a few days ago, the number was already at 78,000 applicants.

The application period opened on April 22, 2013, and continues until August 31. It’s actually fairly easy to apply: You have to be at least 18 years of age, and you must also submit a one-minute video to Mars One that explains your motivation for becoming a Martian settler. And anybody in the world can apply. Also, you can watch all of the applicants’ videos on Mars Ones’ website.

“With [that many] applications in two weeks, this is turning out to be the most desired job in history,” Mars One CEO and co-founder Bas Lansdorp said in a statement. “These numbers put us right on track for our goal of half a million applicants.”

Watch two introductory videos, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Waaaay to early to do something like this. Seems like a suicide mission to me. No thanks.

Posted by: Jack M | May 10, 2013 8:08:26 AM

2. Do the winners get tulip bulbs to take with them?
    And will the organizers be travelling to Mars too?
    Or just South America?

Posted by: James UK | May 10, 2013 8:23:50 AM

3. Very smart to sign up.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 10, 2013 8:28:10 AM

4. Can we sign our sisters up?

Posted by: Randal Oulton | May 10, 2013 8:29:33 AM

5. Can we sign up the NOM people? Please?

Posted by: The Milkman | May 10, 2013 8:30:03 AM

6. The temperature of Mars can go as low as MINUS 220 degrees Fahrenheit and the average is -86 degrees. I hope they realize that just because it looks a bit like New Mexico it isn't hospitable to human life, spacesuit or not.

Though with the current state of "reality TV" I suppose watching people turn suicidal/homicidal from cabin fever in those pods might be must see TV.

Now that I think about it, Maggie Gallagher, Brian Brown, and the other NOMbies should go. They could declare Mars a gay marriage free planet AND we'd get to see them snap and literally devour each other. Win/Win I'd say.

Posted by: Caliban | May 10, 2013 8:44:03 AM

7. I can think of a few people who I'd like to sign up for a one way ticket to Mars.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2013 9:10:35 AM

8. I can think of a few people who I'd like to sign up for a one way ticket to Mars.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2013 9:10:35 AM

9. More than 78,000 complete idiots out there.

But... we knew that already.

Posted by: johnny | May 10, 2013 10:20:57 AM

10. This project could be a financial success even if nobody ever goes any higher or faster than one would in a commercial jet. It could end up being just a reality show with the "desert island" being replaced with whatever they use for training.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people signing up are doing it just to put their videos out there, with no intention of leaving terra firma, commercial air travel excluded.

Posted by: Bill | May 10, 2013 1:18:27 PM

11. So many intelligent people, and that is not all of them. Someone's getting reach and you couldn't blame him.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | May 10, 2013 2:35:28 PM

12. By the time Mars is suitable for human inhabitants, Earth will be uninhabitable.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | May 10, 2013 4:38:42 PM

13. I think they all should go under psychiatric evaluation, seriously, let's leave the sarcasm aside, I think is tragic for them and their families if this actually happens

Posted by: MArk | May 10, 2013 4:59:12 PM

14. Spring Break!

Posted by: Marc | May 10, 2013 5:29:11 PM

15. can we put mcdonnell ,boner , cantor, ryan , bachmann and palin on the list?

Posted by: walter | May 10, 2013 7:35:32 PM

16. Reality TV based group suicide.

Posted by: Fred | May 10, 2013 9:58:35 PM

17. I'm pretty sure this whole concept is just a gimmick. Even if it was real I can't imagine anything worse than being in a cramped ship to Mars, never to return. Imagine never being able to swim in a lake rr an ocean, or being able to bike or run or smell the air after a summer rain. I mean honestly where do I stop on the things I would miss?

Posted by: tim | May 11, 2013 8:51:04 PM