BigGayDeal.com

News: Joy Division, Frank Rich, Immigration, George Michael

RoadNFL MVP Adrian Peterson, who spoke against gay marriage, is NOM's new hero.

RoadHomophobic rants fill Kazakhstan’s parliament. "A law should be adopted which would allow [homosexuals] to be considered criminals against humanity."

RichRoadFrank Rich on his surrogate parent Clayton Coots and the history of gay rights: "As we just learned, a man can still be murdered for being gay a few blocks away from the Stonewall Inn. But the rapidity of change has been stunning. The world only spins forward, as Tony Kushner wrote. And yet as we celebrate the forward velocity of gay rights, I think we must glance backward as well. History is being lost in this shuffle—that of those gay men and women who experienced little or none of today’s freedoms."

RoadCelebrating Hugh Jackman's vascularity.

RoadSlain NYC gay hate crime victim Mark Carson remembered at memorial service in Harlem.

RoadWill Maryland elect the first LGBT governor in America?

RoadSignorile: Michele Bachmann's stinging defeat.

RoadNYT: Gays still support immigration bill. "But as the bill now moves to the Senate floor, the political damage from the episode for the Democrats — including senators who have been firm allies of gay causes like Mr. Leahy, Charles E. Schumer of New York and Richard J. Durbin of Illinois — may not be as severe as it first appeared. Gay rights advocates, stepping back from the loss, said the overhaul still contained many measures that could benefit gay immigrants, most of which came through the committee gauntlet unscathed."

RoadCourtney Love offers Amanda Bynes some advice: "pull it together dude".

RoadBradley Cooper shows off in his hotel window in Brazil.

JoydivisionRoadJoy Division's famous 1979 album cover Unknown Pleasures has been 3-D printed.

RoadWill Orson Scott Card's anti-gay worldview make any difference at the Enders Game box office? "So, in this new atmosphere of consumer awareness which way will the tide turn? Many of Card’s fans are mystified and often dismayed by the revelation of his political opinions and affiliations. It will be interesting to see how many of his fans will be enlightened to the personality of the author during what will likely be his greatest period of media scrutiny."

RoadTwo million march against Monsanto.

RoadJamaicans complain about homeless gay men squatting in neighborhood: "The boys behave outlandish and flaunt their lifestyle in your face. This is a blotch on the face of what up to now was a decent community whose residents lead upstanding lives. We are not condemning anyone's sexual preference, but why do they have to trample on our privacy and invade our space with their lifestyle."

RoadNeil Patrick Harris invited back to host the Prime Time Emmy Awards.

BabirusaRoadAnimals you may not have known existed.

RoadFully preserved female mammoth found with flowing blood: "The dark blood was found in ice cavities below the belly of the animal. When researchers broke the cavities with a poll pick, the blood came flowing out. The fact surprised them because the temperature was 10C below zero."

RoadGeorge Michael has left the hospital after his car accident earlier this month: "We can confirm that George Michael has been discharged from hospital and continues to rest and recuperate. He is well and thanks everyone for all the messages of support."

RoadLegacies known and unwritten in New Hope, PA.

RoadProp 8 proponent David Blankenhorn: "For those reasons and more, I have every hope the Supreme Court will craft decisions that will move the country in the direction it is already headed: toward marriage equality."

RoadHarvey Fierstein on hate crimes and the Boy Scouts: "These continuing acts of violence, physical and rhetorical, terrify me. If we are ever to scrape the black rot of prejudice from the heart of our nation, we must stop excusing those who give it expression and even excuse."

RoadSociology professor conducts audit of the damaging and flawed Mark Regnerus study on gay parenting: "Darren Sherkat, professor of sociology at Southern Illinois University and a member of the editorial board of Social Science Research, was tapped by journal editor Wright to conduct an audit of the process of publishing the Regnerus study. Sherkat was given access to all the peer reviews and correspondence connected with the paper, and was told the identities of the reviewers. What he found, he says, was a study that is deeply methodologically flawed and a peer-review process that failed to identify significant problems. Sherkat also says that the story of the study’s publication is part of a much larger trend in academia and the social sciences: the rise of conservative ideologues in academia whose tendentious studies are paid for by private sources and think tanks with a specific ideological axe to grind."

Comments

1. Ah, Joy Division. A blast from my youth and the past. When everybody around me was listening to the most popular bands, I was obsessed with Joy Division and their elk. Just downloaded a bunch of Mission of Burma songs a few days ago. Many times I laid on my bed in my bedroom as a kid, baked, listening to this music as the sun set over the city skyline.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 5:28:36 PM

2. Wow. There's a wealth of riches in today's news wrap-up. There's usually a few things that catch your (sometimes prurient) interest, but items you're really glad you saw are less frequent. Not that it's anyone at TR's fault. Sometimes there are truly interesting things to link to and sometimes there's just fluff.

Frank Rich's long piece on his "surrogate parent" Clayton Coots is interesting on multiple levels, a personal remembrance of a closeted man and of how we fail to see the real people right right in front of us, especially when we're young and so self-involved.

The question about how the "Ender's Game" movie will be received is personally interesting to me, since I know people who are huge fans of the book but also find Orson Scott Card's political activities to be repellant. Since Card is one of the film's co-producers, both he and NOM stand to benefit from its success.

The op-ed by David Blankenthorn, a former Prop 8 supporter and witness in support of the amendment at trial, about his own "evolution" into being a supporter of marriage equality is both well-written and offers some good arguments to have on hand in case you need them.

And the piece on the audit of Mark Renenerus's "study" (AKA partisan hit-piece) of gay parenting is also valuable since the Religious Right types are STILL trying to use that reeking pile of BS despite its many and obvious flaws.

Posted by: Caliban | May 29, 2013 5:48:14 PM

3. Frank Rich is correct about the spinning. Spinning to where might be a valid question. Harvey Fierstein struggles to be relevant. He made me cringe most of my gay life. I think cringing is still safe.
    And what would Towleroad be without a little straight fascination--Bradley Cooper and Hugh Jackman. That's sure to get the prehistoric blood flowing.

Posted by: geb | May 29, 2013 5:48:39 PM

4. RAt must be from the East Coast. That's the only part of the country I recall being "baked." There was a lot of baking going on in Andover.

Posted by: geb | May 29, 2013 5:53:23 PM

5. When I read "George Michael" first thing I think of now is "Bluth".

Posted by: Craig | May 29, 2013 7:41:05 PM

6. No, Maryland will NOT elect "the first LGBT governor in America" since that's already happened.
    Putting aside the rumors about several governors being closeted, there was Governor Jim "I Am A Gay American" McGreevey of New Jersey.
    Maybe she could be the first to be "out and proud" when elected, but that's a different story.
    I find "LGBT" to be such a broad cliche here, though. If she's a bisexual woman who's monogamously married to a man, her election would be one kind of mild step toward the public's understanding of that issue, whereas if she is a MTF transexual it's a whole different issue altogether and her election would be far more surprising.

Posted by: GregV | May 29, 2013 7:47:03 PM

7. Two million march against Monsanto? Yeah, like One Million Moms actually number a million.

Posted by: Urmensch | May 29, 2013 7:52:05 PM

8. The Frank Rich piece is especially poignant -- everyone should read that.

Posted by: Gregor | May 29, 2013 8:00:14 PM

9. The Royal Amazonian Flycatcher has to be the gayest bird ever.

Posted by: DickG | May 29, 2013 8:13:59 PM

10. The Joy Division recreation doesn't look like the cover. I like the idea, but the execution doesn't quite work. It's too 3-D when it should be lines.

@Ratbastard, hearing That's When I Reach for My Revolver in 9th grade was almost as great as hearing Siouxsie's Juju in 8th.

And yes, people do say baked on the west coast.

Some of those animals I'm glad never to have seen. But I want all the wolves and antelopes! Someone recently tried to talk me into getting an anteater, which would have been such an awful idea.

Posted by: Paul R | May 29, 2013 8:48:05 PM

11. All those unusual animals look like the denizens of a gay bar 20 years ago. Close to it now too.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 29, 2013 8:58:56 PM

12. @Paul R,

I bet you'll like this youtube vid of Mission of Burma from a night in 1980 when they opened for The Cure @ a Boston club called the Underground Club. It was Robert Smith's 21st birthday. It's an acoustic song called Tremelo. There was this woman who filmed various bands live in Boston at this time She did a spectacular job. This video is stunning.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 29, 2013 10:04:31 PM

13. Thanks, Rat. I did like it. The first time I saw the Cure was in 1984, when Robert was doing spare time for Siouxsie, and I was wearing an oversized shirt with unbuttoned sleeves and near the front and shaking around the sleeves. He unbuttoned his and shook them back at me. It was so great.

Then afterward we met Book of Love, the opening band, and they were so rude.

I have a sort-of friend who photographs bands, and we constantly run into each other. We're both obsessed with Diamond Rings, a complete 80s throwback band. I missed Mission of Burma on their semi-recent reunion tour. And now you've heard more about me than you ever cared to know.

Posted by: Paul R | May 29, 2013 10:17:23 PM

14. @ Gregor - I agree with you. I just finished Frank Rich's piece on Clayton Coots (and what a wonderful picture of him). It is magnificent. I encourage everyone to read the whole article. I'm so glad I did.

Posted by: scudpipe | May 29, 2013 11:10:46 PM

15. William Donald Schaefer was Maryland's first LGBT governor.

The recent votes by Jared Polis demonstrate that even LGBT politicians are not immune from corruption & supporting the 1%. He's a Sam Aurora Democrat. Ones sexuality means nothing. I wouldn't vote based solely on sexuality.

Harvey Fierstein is a hack. His recent books for Newsies & Kinky Boots are cliched & tired. If he was ever relevant it was in a age long since passed. Harvey, shaddup & just collect your checks.

Posted by: mikeflower | May 30, 2013 4:19:16 AM

16. William Donald Schaefer was Maryland's first LGBT governor.

Posted by: mikeflower | May 30, 2013 4:19:19 AM