BigGayDeal.com

News: Bruce LaBruce, Flaming Saddles, Nick Denton, Omaha

RoadGawker head honcho Nick Denton to marry boyfriend Derren Washington.

Flex_francoRoadJames Franco flexes for GQ.

RoadZoe Saldana thinks she might be a lesbian but does not know the meaning of 'androgynous' (link work-unfriendly).

RoadBrad Pitt praises Angelina Jolie mastectomy decision: "We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer. And it has."

RoadAnti-gay Councilwoman Jean Stothert defeats LGBT ally Mayor Jim Suttle, vows to repeal Omaha's new gay anti-discrimination law.

RoadSenator Mark Warner launches petition to urge Supreme Court to overturn DOMA.

RoadNYC gay bar Flaming Saddles shut down by Health Department: "Inspectors also found 'filth flies' in the bar, food that was 'contaminated' and 'cross-contaminated,' and that the kitchen's supervisor didn't have proper food protection certification. It racked up a total of 61 violation points, according to the inspection."

RoadJoss Whedon returning to TV.

RoadChris Evans flaunts his massive biceps.

BarberRoadLiberty Counsel's Matt Barber tweets heinous cartoon of gay man tricking Boy Scout into sex.

RoadBike sharing raises hackles of New Yorkers: "In recent weeks, hundreds of stations have sprouted in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn — empty husks sprawled 30 or 50 spaces long on city sidewalks and streets, anticipating rows of bicycles that will soon protrude from the kiosk slots. The critics say the kiosks are a blight. They clash with the character of residential areas of the West Village or Fort Greene, Brooklyn. They are already magnets for pigeons, garbage bags and dogs in need of relief."

RoadLady Gaga announced as musical director for Versace show.

RoadBruce LaBruce's new take on Susan Sontag's 1964 essay 'Notes on Camp': "My hope is that camp will be re-politicized, reinvigorated and not just used as commodity fetish for a bunch of boring, capitalistic publicity hogs to make endless profit from. I mean, what could be more camp than Justin Bieber?"

RoadMatt Bomer is back on the White Collar set.

RoadQ&A with Daft Punk's secret weapon: producer Todd Edwards.

CatchingfireRoadA new official Hunger Games: Catching Fire poster and a fan-made trailer.

RoadLegislation outlawing homophobic discrimination on Isle of Man fast-tracked after lesbian couple is prevented from renting a house.

RoadFrankmusik unveils new video "Chasing Shadows".

RoadGay Dallas student barred from running for Prom Queen: “I wear foundation, I fill in my eyebrows, I take care of myself how a female should and I mean the king’s title is more masculine and the queen is someone who rules with a gentle hand and that’s how I am."

RoadJohn Waters is the biggest Belieber.

RoadWhen a gay husband is better than none: "Xiao Qiong is what's known as a 'tongqi,' which translates as 'wife of a homosexual,' but she never uses that word in public. It is not an offensive term, but she would be humiliated if everyone knew, because getting married is more important than anything else in life. She had dreamed about her wedding day ever since she was a little girl, and she had had her perfect ceremony planned down to the last detail. It would be at the seaside, and instead of wearing a red qipao, the traditional one-piece Chinese bridal dress, she would be radiant in a white bridal gown with a long train, just like a princess or "the models in Vogue." In her fantasy she would take off her shoes and dance with her husband on the sand as the sun slowly set over the water. That had been her plan. Ever since she was little, she had done everything she could so that one day she would be that barefoot girl on the beach, her white veil fluttering in the breeze. In the end, reality turned out to be just the opposite."

Comments

1. It is an excellent pic of James F. He can relax on me anytime he likes to, day or night, day and night.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 15, 2013 4:12:21 PM

2. Bret Easton Ellis has written a sensible article that many of the politically correct folks here should read:

Posted by: will | May 15, 2013 4:55:18 PM

3. According to the NYT article, last year 66% of New Yorkers supported bike share. 65.99% still do. The Times' proof that bike support has evaporated? Lynn Ellsworth thinks the docks are too big, and Jane Brown saw a rat. In New York. Please. Clearly New Yorkers have better things to worry about (like filth flies in their bars, apparently)

Posted by: Steven H | May 15, 2013 5:02:54 PM

4. There were some good points in that Bret Easton Ellis rant. He touches on a lot of problems that face our community. He also goes a tad hyperbolic nutso.

We really do need to stop actioning each other to death. That thing where someone says something online and other people online blow it out of proportion. I guess when we all learn to not take things said online so seriously we will all get past this.

I know it's particularly vile in these comments. Troll is a great word, but you can't let it become shorthand for just cutting huge swaths of people from your life.

It's kinda a funny parallel, gays used to be known for being supremely catty/sassy, which is another way of saying salacious, which is also a common practice in trolling.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 15, 2013 5:17:16 PM

5. As someone in DC, bikeshare is a blessing. 99% of the complaints in that post are from (1) people who will find their concerns met by the program when it is unveiled, (2) bougy SoHo types, and (3) people who already hated the idea.

More bikes means fewer commuters elsewhere, freeing up space for others. I'm sorry if people don't like sharing the road, but get over it.

Posted by: Mike8787 | May 15, 2013 5:22:11 PM

6. The criticisms of the bike sharing program in that article are just asinine. I doubt they're very reflective of most people's reaction--or that they will be after it starts. Most cities love them. They're very popular in Montreal.

Posted by: Ernie | May 15, 2013 5:30:20 PM

7. john waters comments on jb are cute. I remember seeing a vid of them together on the graham norton show where they clearly hit it off.

Posted by: anna | May 15, 2013 6:33:56 PM

8. The gay Dallas student should be barred from running for prom queen. He is a BOY.

Posted by: Luke | May 15, 2013 7:11:21 PM

9. Luke, take your gender norms and kindly f*ck off.

Posted by: MateoM | May 15, 2013 7:56:36 PM

10. @ MateoM

You should take your own advice! There's no reason for gay men to act like women. Stop feeding the dated stereotypes you big oaf!

Posted by: Audi-owner | May 15, 2013 8:27:45 PM

11. By the way, at this point I am not gonna stand idly by and let some bitter,uppity,b*tchy queen tell me what not to say about fems. Coming out as gay does *NOT* automatically mean you grow a p***y,have PMS every month,and can be a contender for America's next top model. Being gay does NOT equal femininity.Damn! The PC s*** from you morons when it concerns this problem is the utterly laughable. But of course,those of us who point this out are self-loathing,even if we've been out and honest with who we are to ourselves and others for 15 years. Yes! I've been out since I was 14 but I didn't turn into a screaming/flaming C**t after the fact.Idiots!

Posted by: Audi-owner | May 15, 2013 8:36:47 PM

12. That kid in Dallas is probably a nice person, but he clearly has issues. He is a boy and should run for prom king. He has internalized a message that gay boys aren't really boys. Whether that message came from homophobic Texas or from the "LGBT" crowd that equates being gay with being transsexual, or both, I don't know. But the kid needs to embrace himself as a boy and not debase himself by self-stereotyping.

Posted by: William Emmer | May 15, 2013 8:37:51 PM

13. And before some bitter b*tchy uppity Queen comes on here and asks me to prove that I'm out and show how manly I am, I don't need to do that because I'm actually lying and if my dad finds out I'm a pole-smoker he'll start beating me again.

You queens need to realize that us really manly masculine gay men who aren't self-loathing are tough and strong. So tough and strong that we come online to talk smack about fems. Because that's a sure sign of confident masculinity.

Posted by: Audi-owner | May 15, 2013 9:24:45 PM

14. The second post of Audi-owner is KIWI. You can always spot his particular sickness, ho hum.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 16, 2013 2:51:24 AM

15. CHRIS EVANS ARMS!!!

Wow.

Posted by: Jase | May 16, 2013 3:22:41 AM

16. I was going to ask if "Flaming Saddles" was the country-western gay bar in the AbFab episode where Eddy finds Serge in NYC, but obviously since it says it opened in 2011 it is not. Wow, to be named "Best Gay Bar" in 2012 and then be shut down by the Health Department? Once again if this was Texas, I'm sure there'd be some big conspiracy. But since it's Manhattan, maybe it truly was just a dive.

Posted by: MIke | May 16, 2013 3:34:57 AM

17. Well, to be fair to "Flaming Saddles", the story does say they were closed on Monday and re-opened on Tuesday. What business hasn't had a bad day and been unprepared for a surprise visit from the nanny state. I recall "Fawlty Towers" did a show on this when the hotel was shut down for among other things, a dead pigeon in the water tank. (I like my British comedies).

Posted by: MIke | May 16, 2013 3:44:35 AM