NYC Nightlife Promoter Gay Bashed in the East Village

Bruce Yelk at NightlifeGay.com reports:

ContarinoShock, outrage, anger sums up how I am feeling today as one of my very good friends was gay bashed last night in New York City.  Dan Contarino, former promoter of Shampoo Nightclub's "Shaft" Fridays, was jumped last night at Avenue D & 4th Street.   Allegedly, witnesses are reporting the assailant was yelling "f*ggot" as he was kicking and beating Dan.  Neighbors rushed to Dan's aid and chased after the attacker but unfortunately he got away. The police are investigating the assault now and have not determine it a hate crime.

Contarino wrote on Facebook this morning:

THANKS FOR CALLS…. GAY BASHED LAST NITE…. back from small surgery…. CHEST XRAYS THIS AM…. suspect still at large… police n media waiting to interview me… U JUST WANNA CRY N MOVE ON….

NOTE: Comments on this post have been closed and hidden due to severe trolling. I apologizes to our readers for the cesspool the comments section has become and promise we will work to find a solution. The site right now is built on a very old template, which makes moderating individual comments very difficult give the size of the site and the number of them coming in. We count on readers to flag items for us.

Commenters who race-bait and/or use multiple identities in order to start or invigorate comment wars (we know who you are) run the risk of being BANNED. Please refrain also from goading trolls into commenting. Those comments may also get deleted.

Sorry for having to even say this. Please try to carry on in a civilized way with constructive commentary and respect for others. Thank you.

Comments

1. David Hearne says

And again, we have witnesses who apparently did nothing to stop this.

The Stand Your Ground Law permits you to use your weapon in defense of another. Too bad New York doesn’t have a SYG law. Perhaps Bloomberg can explain to you how defenseless citizens reduces the violence of criminals.

2. Francis #1 says

So this is what it has come down to. Intentional targeting of gay men, being picked off one by one by one. So unbelievably sad and scary.

At a friendly bar I go to in RVA I know the owners have warded off gay bashers in the past. Stories like this are incredible. I know there’s a lot of hate out there for us but I simply can’t grasp what compels anyone to randomly assault someone whose done nothing to you, simply because of their orientation.

3. Francis #1 says

4. David Hearne says

Fear not, New York! The Human Rights Campaign is writing a letter! So we’ve had a rally, we’re getting a letter, the only left is a candle light vigil and we’ll be exactly the whiny little weenies people expect us to be.

Arm yourselves. Do not stand by and watch the gay community (or your parents, or friends, or the next generation, or the neighborhood you grew up in) attacked by the criminal evidence of the decay of society.

5. Gregoire says

Line your bodies with weapons, it’s dangerous out there! Don’t leave your home unless you have eight firearms strapped to yourself. Learn to get yourself off with the barrel of a gun so that you always have one on you. When you see a person who might be dangerous, just shoot their head off before asking questions.

And whatever you do, don’t learn any physical protection techniques and do not carry mace. These are useless. Just carry a bunch of guns and you will be okay.

— David

6. northalabama says

non-violent protests and repeated appeals to the media to cover theses targeted gay attacks at the national level must continue. if middle america never sees the result of their continued, steeping hate, any progress towards equal rights will only advance at a snail’s pace.

i have been sending emails, appealing to glbt friendly reporters to cover these escalating attacks. if i were in new york, i’d march. spending a lifetime in the south, i know what it’s like to fear violence just for being who you are. it’s sad to see it’s the same in nyc.

7. stephen says

What the freak is going on in NYC, one of most liberal, free, accepting cities on the planet? Even Houston here in the South is safer. We have a gay mayor and literally 1 gay bashing a year. Why are we taking 5 steps forward in equality in a world class city, and then 10 steps back. Makes no sense.

8. Jarrett Brandon says

MASE….every LGBTQ person in NYC needs to carry MASE. It may be against city ordinances, but so is this violence against our fellow citizens. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!

9. Rick says

“Wake-Up…Blacks are doing this…Look at Chicago…This is a Race War…”

I don’t know if it is a race war, but virtually all these attacks have been perpetrated by blacks, as is the case with violence against gays everwhere.

I don’t now what disgusts me more: a) that gay men, like this one, are such pu$$ies that they don’t even try to defend themselves–which the culture of effeminacy has conditioned them to be…..or b) that the “good liberals” on this site and among the gay activist establishement will continue to try to cover up the fact that blacks are the culprits in just about all these cases and that it is not a coincidence…..

Pathetic, all the way around…..

10. SPOT says

Dear David Hearne,

In your rush to fetishize gun ownership, did you miss the part about “Neighbors rushed to Dan’s aid and chased after the attacker but unfortunately he got away.”?

Apparently so.

The solution to rape is not to be arm everyone. The solution to violence is not to arm everyone. The solution to violence is not more violence.

What part of this is mystifying to you?

Creating a violent reactionary society will only lead to escalating violence.

11. Rick says

“MASE….every LGBTQ person in NYC needs to carry MASE.”

In other words, do what a woman would do.

I guess it never even occurs to most of you to be a man and actually fight back when attacked, does it?

No, because the culture of effeminacy has convinced you that your sexuality means that you are devoid of masculinity and therefore incapable of behaving like other men would in similar situations by fighting back.

Granted, you should not be expected to fight back when attacked by a group, but most attacks are like this one—–one-on-one—–and in most cases, the attacker is no more physically strong or agile than the guy being attacked.

12. Joe Klein says

NYC has not been one of the most liberal accepting cities in quite some time. When we have people like Rubin Diaz in office, it just adds fuel to the fire. NYC is no longer about community, it is where the wealthy come to invest in properties and never put down roots. Thank you Mayor Bloomberg for being all about high end real estate and not about the people who live in this city, who stay in the city, and call it home.

13. Rick says

Of course, I’m pretty hypocritical when I insult other gay men and insist that they’re “effeminate” and weak. After all, I’m not even man enough to put a face to my comments on an internet page. So what does that make me? Well, I suppose according to some commenters it makes me a coward. Because I comment on stories about gay men being violently attacked and then use those stories to regurgitate my tired old nonsense points about “effeminacy” – when in reality I’m not even openly gay and am simply not man enough to be a visible face and presence as a gay man.

So just remember that next time I make my stupid and baseless negative comments about effeminacy. I make them because I’m a closeted wimp and I’m not able to stand up to be counted like other gay men are.
    After all, if I was the big strong masculine gay man I claim to be I’d surely be making an effort to prove it and be a visible example of gay masculinity, right?

14. mike says

You will never stop people hating gay people but you will be able to lessen the chances that the people that hate us have access to guns. State only gun reform is useless as you can simply get guns from a neighbor state and cross the border. How can anyone be surprised that people are gunned down in the streets if there are so many guns around ? If you had to get a licence, go for a test, have a background check that evaluates your mental health, etc and do many of the things you need to do to drive a car it might weed out the crazies who are running around with firearms.

15. ChristopherM says

Rick and his newest pseudonym appear to be unaware that at least one of the victims in this alleged race war was black. But that is to be expected from such mental midgets. Why don’t you trot over to Gay Patriot with the other homo bigots? I’m sure you’ll be far more comfortable.

16. Rick says

“You will never stop people hating gay people”

Well, you can. Behave like a self-respecting man, who can be expected to defend himself, if attacked–and other men will begin to respect you and fear the consequences of attacking you.

On the other hand, continue to be pu$$ies and cowards and they will have neither respect for you or fear of you and will therefore see no reason not to attack you–in fact, your very cowardice will become the REASOn they target you in the first place……

17. ratbastard says

Alphabet City, right by the projects. This is a sketchy area, at best. I’m not surprised he got jumped. Lucky he wasn’t stabbed, shot or killed. I’m serious. Hope he’s OK.

18. Rick says

If you want to know what a pu$$y coward looks like, take a gander at me. I can only make my statements on the internet. Facelessly.

And I love gaypatriot.net It’s the best place for self-hating homosexuals who hate blacks and liberals.

If you guys were as masculine as I am you’d be as respected as I am. Because nothing earns respect from bigots more than being an anonymous internet-commenter with no testicles.

19. Rick says

“Rick and his newest pseudonym appear to be unaware that at least one of the victims in this alleged race war was black.”

Oh, I am aware of it. Black homophobes attack black gays as well as white gays.

That does not change the fact that the perpetrators of such violence are nearly always black, regardless of the race of the victims.

20. Francis #1 says

The attacker is Hispanic. The latest bashings have been all ethnic groups–Hispanic, black, white, Middle Eastern. It ain’t a racial issue. What it *is* is the fact most of these bashers have criminal records already, and all of these bashers have zero fear at all of gay/bi guys. They don’t fear us, they don’t really think they’ll get caught, and even if they are caught, they don’t fear police. There’s no fear, there’s no second guessing going on—-they want to hurt gay/bi men and set out and, unfortunately, are usually successful in doing so. They want to hurt guys who aren’t straight. That’s all it comes down to. They hate us and want to hurt us.

It’s very sad. It’s a major reality check. And no, Rick, many of these attacks are not one on one whatsoever, it’s gay/bi men being jumped by several dudes. Which is irrelevant to begin with. These attackers, whether it’s singular or a group attack, have the element of surprise on their side and they’re criminal minded.

But I will say—learn self-defense. If you’re in the LGBTQ community, you need to learn self-defense.

21. Harvey Chapman says

UMMMMM, NEWFLASH PEOPLE. THE CULPRITS HAVE ALL BEEN LATINO NOT BLACK. THAT WAS A REALLY AWFUL ASSUMPTION TO MAKE THUS PERPETUATING A STEREOTYPE…DISCRIMINATION…AND MAYBE EVEN RACISM.WOW.

22. ratbastard says

Why is anyone on here shocked a guy got jumped and beat up in Alphabet City,Avenue D, right by the projects? Is the fact he’s white, a certain age, certain look, a factor? Oh, you bet. Is the fact the perp apparently believed by appearance alone Mr. Contarino is gay a factor? Oh, you bet. Was it just a plain old street robbery? No. It was based primarily on Mr. Contarino’s perceived sexuality, his ‘race’, probably more-so his perceived sexuality and socioeconomic status ’cause a white guy who looked more like he belonged probably would not have been jumped.

23. Derrick from Philly says

sooned, tino, shinn & Rick:

Don’t you all fret. You can always get the new Annie Oakley to protect you–other wise known as David Hagatha Hearne. I can hear her now:

When I’ve got my pistol, I sparkle like a crystal

Yes, I shine like the mornin’ sun

But I lose all my luster, when with a bronco buster….

Sing out, Klan gurls

@ “Agree. I think everyone is tired of the ‘African Americans’…”

Well, shinn, then you and your mother will have to find other types of d.cks to suck in the future….maybe just Africans without the “American” part added.

24. ratbastard says

@ Harvey Chapman,

Newsflash: Some Hispanics are racist and hate ‘whites’. Some Hispanics are also black themselves. Some are mixed. Some are white.

25. MK says

A “RACE WAR?” Bahaha.. You have GOT to be kidding me. The Madison Square Garden Culprits were latino. The guy that had his head blown off the other day was black at the culprit was a deranged lunatic (also happened to be latino). Are you even paying attention?

Am i feeding trolls right now? I keep telling myself to steer clear of these comment boards….

26. ratbastard says

@Derrick,

That added nothing o the conversation. Are you really Derrick, or Little Kiwi?

THESE THREADS ARE OUT OF CONTROL WITH TROLLS.

27. ratbastard says

@MK,

You do know there are racist Latinos who hate blacks? Yes, they exist. Go out west especially and there is a real race war going on, and it’s Hispanic vs black.

These are primarily anti gay motivated, not race.

28. Philly Guy says

I’m sorry to hear this about Dan. But as I know him personally, I’m not surprised by this. Dan is known for screwing his staff and performers out of money that he owed them. He’s a shady character. While this count be a hate crime, it could also be someone exacting revenge.

Bruce Yelk, the writer of this article, is someone who also runs with a shady crowd. So if Bruce or Dan is reading this, I hope they realize they need to change their ways otherwise they put themselves at risk.

29. ratbastard says

@Philly guy,

Well there you go.

And BTW, Marc Carson [RIP] and his friend contrary to many published reports did engage in back and forth banter with Morales, EVEN AFTER HE SHOWED THEM HIS GUN. I believe [AM NOT CERTAIN] that Mr. Carson’s friend was the guy who primarily engaged in back and forth banter with Morales.

DISCLAIMER:

IN NO WAY am I saying Mr. Carson deserved to be shot and killed! IN NO WAY!!

Morales should not have been out walking the streets and he should face the death penalty.

30. nefter says

Dear Rick and Rat, some advice:
    the best way to keep S**T out of your mouth is to take your head out of your A**

31. Chriso says

What is happening to New York? Isn’t this supposed to be the city of freedom?

Where are these homophobes coming from?

32. says

as progress happens, the scum of country and culture only get more furious.

those crippled by insecurity lash out at others because they have nothing about themselves to feel good about.

whether it’s racism, homophobia, internalized-homophobia among cowardly self-hating gay men, transphobia or the many variations of each – it all comes from the same place: the hater feels worthless and needs to hurt someone else to feel better.

it’s sad. it’s ugly. it’s pathetic.

33. Harvey Chapman says

@ratbastard

Newsflash: My point was to correct the person/people who think that the culprits were “black,” as they in fact were not. That makes the assumptive individual who said such rather racist to go off that way when that have a lack of information. Anyone and everyone can be racist, absolutely, but the fact remains that the victims have been of all races and the attackers all hispanic. These attacks are NOT a disgusting excuse to single out a particular race. In this case African Americans.

34. nefter says

@ Rat the S**T that comes out of your mouth, in this case I suppose if you keep your fingers out of your mouth you will keep the S**t from coming through the keyboard as a result of your head being in your a**. Capish?