Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | News | NFL | Oakland | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Oakland Raiders Sign Punter and LGBT Ally Chris Kluwe

NFL punter and LGBT ally Chris Kluwe has been signed by the Oakland Raiders, FOX Sports reports:

Chr_kluweKluwe, who was released by the Minnesota Vikings on May 6, will step in for Pro Bowler Shane Lechler, who left Oakland for the Houston Texans via free agency. Kluwe’s contract is for one year, and is for the league minimum.

...

Kluwe is known for his mind and mouth, as well as his leg. He is a vocal advocate of equality in sports (and life), and says he will continue to speak for what he believes.

“I’m still going to be myself socially and continue to tweet and interact with my fans,” Kluwe said.

The issue of same-sex marriage remains a hot-button one in California. Kluwe said he was happy the same-sex marriage bill passed and was signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Mark Dayton in Minnesota. Kluwe didn’t think it would be an issue there and is ready to press forward in the Golden State....Prop 8 was passed by voters in 2008 and governs that the state only recognize marriages between a man and a woman. The law’s legality was argued before the US Supreme Court in March, with a ruling expected in June, and Kluwe is optimistic about the likely repeal of the measure. If the measure is not repealed, however, he says it will be an issue of concern that will need to be addressed.

Comments

1. Awesome! And he can start a conversation!!

Posted by: Alan Brickman | May 16, 2013 9:19:26 AM

2. RAIDERS !

Posted by: SFSolstice | May 16, 2013 9:50:41 AM

3. I teared up. I knew someone would pick him up. The good guy always wins out!

Posted by: T | May 16, 2013 9:53:03 AM

4. Okay, gay fb fans in Oakland/SF. Go to games and let the owners know it's because of Kluwe. Stand up for our friends.

Posted by: Los Angeles Gay | May 16, 2013 10:12:19 AM

5. This guy is way too talented not to be picked up. Kudos to the Raiders. They picked a WINNER!

Posted by: David Hearne | May 16, 2013 10:16:03 AM

6. I think with Kluwe added to the Raiders, the AFC West still has the best group of punters and kickers in the league, even without Shane Lechler. There's not a bad one in the bunch.

Posted by: fhrblig | May 16, 2013 10:58:12 AM

7. Eat it Vikings. You lose.

Posted by: RMc | May 16, 2013 10:58:33 AM

8. Go Raiders. Have a great season Chris.

Posted by: andrew | May 16, 2013 10:59:38 AM

9. Suh-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | May 16, 2013 11:10:21 AM

10. Hmmm... Not exactly what I typed into the form, but ... SWEET!!!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | May 16, 2013 11:11:28 AM

11. coming to the Bay Area coming to the Bay Area!! never been a football fan, actually I hate it! :-D
    but do I have a choice now? lol I am so happy for him!

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 16, 2013 11:14:16 AM

12. Los Angeles gay, you bet!
    i will sit there and say the sophisticated things like, "where are the hoops?"Or," I thought they would be all wearing skates when they try to kill each other ?"
    When I'm not shrieking my head off for Chris , that is ! rofl

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 16, 2013 11:21:51 AM

13. For all of you conspiracy theorists who know nothing about football, you might want to note that the contract with the Raiders is only for one season and Kluwe will be paid the minimum salary allowed by the NFL, all of which supports the idea that the Vikings cut Kluwe because he is over the hill and was overpaid, given his level of productivity--in other words, he was cut for football reasons, NOT because of his activism.

It represents a stop-gap measure for the Raiders, after losing their own punter to free agency...which, again, has nothing to do with Kluwe's activism--they just need a punter right now and there are not many dependable ones out there, but even that did not prevent them from driving a hard bargain with Kluwe.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate what Chris has done and am glad he will be able to keep playing for at least one more year--I just have tired of all the false claims that he is the victim of institutionalized homophobia, when he really isn't (and neither is Brandon Abajadeyo).

Posted by: Rick | May 16, 2013 12:35:55 PM

14. The bay area is a good fit for him. I certainly miss living there. Maybe he can put a little mention about SF archbishop when he has some time.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 16, 2013 12:41:49 PM

15. "The bay area is a good fit for him"

It may be, but Oakland is not San Francisco and Raiders fans are not 49ers fans. Raiders fans are notorious for their thuggish mindset and behavior, so I am not sure how well Kluwe will necessarily be received by them.

"never been a football fan, actually I hate it!"

Why would you "hate" football? I can see not being interested in it, but in order to hate it, it seems to me you would have to be anti-male and/or anti-masculinity (imagine that in an effeminate gay man

Posted by: Rick | May 16, 2013 12:53:48 PM

16. I am Midwest born, raised and breeding every chance I get! I would take an Oakland option in a heart beat! Esp if I'm unemployed....Good luck man, you did Mini-So-Ta well!

Posted by: Christopher | May 16, 2013 7:59:42 PM

17. Yes Rick I know about Oakland since I lived there.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 16, 2013 8:08:22 PM

18. Right On..... Stud! Welcome to the Bay Area.

Posted by: Funbunz | May 16, 2013 8:40:49 PM

19. I don't like the Raiders, but I'll be rooting for Chris to have an amazing season!

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 16, 2013 8:49:24 PM

20. Welcome to California! .. Since Minnesota just got marriage equality, I'm taking this as a sign that Prop H8 will be overturned.

Posted by: Rexford | May 16, 2013 10:03:39 PM

21. Awesome! Congrats Chris!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | May 16, 2013 11:24:25 PM

22. glad for him, and the nfl who sorely needs players like kluwe and ayanbedejo (sp).

Posted by: Anony6 | May 17, 2013 4:00:13 PM

23. Today at Wells Fargo in St. Paul, MN the customer service agent who waited on me said that she knew the owner of the Vikings is a Christian as she is too. So don't tell me Klue was dismissed purley on money and change. Chris will be missed by thousands of GLBT and Transgendered people of Minnesota. What a tragic loss for us, Go Raiders, Peace and love to you Chris Klue

Posted by: Tom Perez | May 17, 2013 10:49:52 PM