Boy Scouts | News | Ryan James Yezak

Gay Boy Scout Camp Counselor Fired on Camera After Coming Out: 'I Wish You Hadn't Done That' -VIDEO

Bsascoutleader

Eric Jones, a 19-year-old prominent and committed member of the Boy Scouts of America was kicked out last July because he came out as gay to the director of the organization's annual Summer Camp in Missouri.

E_jonesNot only was he immediately removed from the camp because of their anti-gay policy, but the entire "process" was caught on camera and will be featured in Ryan James Yezak's upcoming documentary Second Class Citizens.

Says the Boy Scout official:

"I understand, and quite honestly your lifestyle is your lifestyle. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the way I look at an individual or the way I judge them. However, by telling me what you just told me, it automatically takes you out of the program. I wish you hadn't done that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP....

You might remember Yezak's viral trailer for the film. Check it out here.

The Boy Scouts will be voting today on a proposal to lift the ban on gay scouts (that would retain a ban on gay leaders).

Comments

1. "your lifestyle is your lifestyle." Putz.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | May 23, 2013 8:41:03 AM

2. Too bad we can't do this to religious fanatics in our political system. Once they open their religio-fascists mouths, they're fired. Special elections would abound.

Posted by: Michael Barber | May 23, 2013 8:58:10 AM

3. "Your lifestyle is your lifestyle." How galling... maybe we ought to start saying that "I understand you're a Christian, and I mean - your lifestyle is your lifestyle." Religion is the one of the most extreme "lifestyle choices" and most incarnations of it seen hellbent on making everyone's choices big or small for them.

Posted by: P | May 23, 2013 8:59:30 AM

4. "I wish you hadn't done that"...meaning choosing the "lifestyle" or being a good Scout and an honest one?

Posted by: gregorybrown | May 23, 2013 9:18:38 AM

5. "I wish you hadn't done that"...meaning choosing the "lifestyle" or being a good Scout and an honest one?

Posted by: gregorybrown | May 23, 2013 9:18:38 AM

6. From the Scouts Law:
    TRUSTWORTHY. A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.
    BRAVE. A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

but DON'T be truthful or brave about who you are, we'll have to kick you to the curb!

Posted by: Greg | May 23, 2013 9:24:43 AM

7. I had a friend who was a counselor at a Scout camp here in CA. He claimed that he was out to all of his superiors. I actually went to visit him at said camp a couple of years ago and noticed that he seemed to put on a "butch-er" demeanor than what I was used to from him. Despite being a former scout myself, I still felt extremely uncomfortable. I don't know why anyone out-and-proud would willingly want to participate in this org knowing the anti-gay sentiments held by its leadership.

Posted by: MateoM | May 23, 2013 10:32:41 AM

8. "Desert Living" is a lifestyle.

Posted by: Bob | May 23, 2013 11:52:07 AM

9. So the Boy Scouts will only discriminate against gay adult scoutmasters who are honest about their sexual orientation now? That's like 1955 South Carolina "compromising" on racial segregation by letting black kids drink from Whites Only water fountains----but not black adults. SORRY, NO COMPROMISING WITH BIGOTRY.

Posted by: Kieran | May 23, 2013 12:29:42 PM

10. I can't figure out why the Scouts admin can't understand that OUT gay men would be their best ally in routing out the closet cases who are the ones that cause trouble.

It's so much better to know who's gay, and I'm pretty sure our out guys would be very invested in protecting our reputation, in part by exposing the creeping ones.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Posted by: lewlew | May 23, 2013 1:35:09 PM

11. I hate when people justify their reasonings by "having been put in this position." Such a lack of decency and honor. The idea that this person would somehow lead anyone is in itself a total disgrace. Fortunately, this young man will live to see this man go down on the wrong side of history.

Intolerance is intolerable.

Posted by: John B. | May 23, 2013 1:59:32 PM

12. @gregorybrown : I suspect "I wish you hadn't done that" meant that the guy did not like finding himself in a position where the rules required him to kick someone out. Managers can really dislike having to fire someone.

The "lifestyle" comment, regardless of what he intended, made the guy sound decades behind the times. At best he was simply repeating the terminology drilled into his head by his Calvinist preacher or whatever. At worst, it is an indication of bigotry.

Posted by: Bill | May 23, 2013 3:39:59 PM

13. "I wish you hadn't done that". In other words, they are fine with gay counselors as long as they are closeted. But wouldn't kids be better served by someone upholding scout laws of honesty and integrity, and if they are so worried about "predatory" gays who want to abuse or "recruit" children, isn't it far more likely that the potential perverts are the closeted ones, not the openly gay ones?

Never mind the fact that it's straight-identified men who are far more proportionally likely to molest children. That's a proven fact that's an inconvenient truth to this bigots.

Posted by: graphicjack | May 23, 2013 9:47:47 PM