Cory Booker | New Jersey | Newark | News

Cory Booker To Run For U.S. Senate: Video

Corybooker
Newark mayor Cory Booker had been expected to run for U.S. Senate in 2014 but his plans suddenly changed after Senator Frank R. Lautenberg's death last week. With a special election to fill that now vacant seat set to take place in October, Booker formally threw his hat into the race yesterday.

The New York Times reports on Booker's speech during his announcement:

“We have changed a city, despite the cynicism of so many who believed that real change here in Newark was impossible,” Mr. Booker said. “This is the truth of Newark, and I tell you right now that there is another city in America that needs some change. Too many have come to believe that Washington, D.C., is a place where nothing can get done, where people don’t work together, don’t compromise, don’t make progress. People don’t believe that Washington is a place that is sticking up for American families. This has to end.”

Watch video of Booker's announcement, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Go, Corey!

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 9, 2013 12:12:55 PM

2. What say you NJ towleroaders? He looks like a shoe in from here (left coast). The money will certainly roll in.

Posted by: melvin | Jun 9, 2013 12:19:06 PM

3. Yay!!! I love him so much! He's the guy who ran into a burning building to help rescue folks. Since then - no question! The best.

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 9, 2013 12:46:25 PM

4. I'll be voting for my rocket scientist congressman, Rush Holt, who spoke up for LGBT spouses of immigrants years ago and submitted a bill to secure their rights. I just saw him a few weeks back at an ACLU/Garden State Equality seminar on marriage equality, where he gave us tips on how to lobby state legislators. Rush Holt is obviously a genius, but he's also a passionate and selfless advocate of various progressive causes. I want him as my senator.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Jun 9, 2013 12:51:42 PM

5. It must be nice to have a choice between a rocket scientist and a superhero! The fact that Booker considers Bradley his mentor puts a whole new light on things. When Bradley left the senate, its average IQ dropped several points.

Posted by: melvin | Jun 9, 2013 12:59:00 PM

6. The only thing that can stop him is a giant swarm of cicadas.

Posted by: anon | Jun 9, 2013 1:07:01 PM

7. Booker is a bridge builder, not divisive like the many of our leaders. I remember early on how he was elected president of a Jewish club at Yale. Not bad for a Christian Black man!

Newark has suffered from 4 decades of corruption. I commend Booker for taking on the challenge, even when he lost the mayor's race the first time against Sharpe James' machine. Booker has shown tenacity in his will to do what's right.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2013 1:21:48 PM

8. Lots of NJ Republicans are going to vote for Mayor Booker in the October election. He has plenty of bipartisan respect, and the current-reputed Republican "candidate" is a non-entity with zero name-recognition even within the Party. The former-mayor of suburban Bogata, New Jersey as Senator?..Bwhahhahhaha!!!

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 9, 2013 2:04:38 PM

9. Go Corey!!!

Posted by: FakeOutrage | Jun 9, 2013 2:38:00 PM

10. He be the Effen man!

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 9, 2013 6:10:01 PM

11. If I lived In Jersey, I would support him.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 9, 2013 6:18:40 PM

12. Wish I lived in NJ so I could vote for Cory. Really hope he wins, as he'll be a breath of fresh air in Washington. Go Cory!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jun 9, 2013 6:29:29 PM

13. As someone who lived in Newark and worked in the community development field during Cory's term, I'm ambivalent. He was always much more interested in jetting around and being on TV than in actually governing the city. I would rather see him legislating than in an executive role, but I am really bothered by the whole Cory-walks-on-water attitude. He's really not that great. Not horrible, either, but completely mediocre.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 10, 2013 12:47:41 AM

14. Get some sleep, Dave

Posted by: Yawn | Jun 10, 2013 6:13:42 AM

15. All I know he is damn handsome!

Posted by: Monrocsol | Jun 10, 2013 8:26:41 AM