Facebook Disables Game in Which Orthodox Christians Destroy Gay Activists

Tblisi_Game

Yesterday we reported on a Facebook game in which Orthodox Christians destroy gay activists with stools which appeared to be modeled after recent real-life attacks on Gay Pride marchers in Tblisi, Georgia.

A Facebook spokesman tells Towleroad that they have disabled the game app:

"We take action against apps that violate our platform policies as laid out here: https://developers.facebook.com/policy/, in order to maintain a trustworthy experience for users."

Comments

1. Continuum says

Curiously, I reported the site to Facebook yesterday and received an email saying that they had reviewed the site and found nothing in violation.

I wonder what made them change their mind.

2. Joe in Ct says

When I complained about the page yesterday, FB told me it was in compliance with their guidelines. I guess it took a lot of complaints to get them to finally do something about it.

3. Jim says

I should hope so! I cannot believe that facebook would have such an app in the first place, whether it be gay oriented or something else. Good riddance!

4. Joe in Ct says

Here’s what I got from them yesterday:

Thanks for your recent report of a potential violation on Facebook. After reviewing your report, we were not able to confirm that the specific page you reported violates Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

Learn more about what we do and don’t allow by reviewing the Facebook Community Standards: https://www.facebook.com/communitystandards.

Thanks,
    Viki

5. Chadd says

I also got the standard “not in violation” email. I guess enough people complained that FB actually looked at the site rather than just sending automated emails.

6. Gigi says

How did this get by the mods in the first place? Imagine if there was a “game” where Nazis shot a Jews. Do you think Zuck would have allowed that one in?

7. Mawm says

Gigi, there is no vetting process to get a facebook app live. You can do it all through the facebook developer site. However, they can pull the plug on it whenever they want as happened here.

8. says

Well that one was created to be against the priests, and my Georgian informant says that it’s clear it’s not against gay people, but actually anti-priest. And she worked for Identoba, their gay organization.

Meanwhile there’s an anti-gay “Stop Gay Fascism in Croatia” page that they keep saying doesn’t break any of their rules, either, even though people comment on the page saying they will “meet the gay pride march with sticks and stones.” Which they did in 2011.

9. Rick (not that one) says

I reported this to fb yesterday and got the same “this does not violate our standards” message. So I responded “well, maybe your standards are too low”.

Glad to see they did the right thing.