Florida | Gay Parents | Jacksonville | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jacksonville, Florida Children's Museum Tells Gay Couple They're Not a Family: VIDEO

Lee-duffell

The Hands on Children's Museum of Jacksonville, Florida tells Karen Lee-Duffell and her family that they have to pay extra after noticing "Mom and Mom" on their membership form renewal:

"She says 'oh wait no, you're going to have pay an extra ten dollars to add this other mom, you can't have two moms' and she points up at the sign, a family membership consists of one mom and one dad," said Lee-Duffell.

Lee-Duffell said the employee told her the museum is concerned about people taking advantage and putting multiple families on one membership.

And if you believe that explanation, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Check out FCN's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bigots.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 11, 2013 8:50:51 AM

2. Yes, they are bigots. Your children will be far better off NOT being exposed to such trashy people.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 11, 2013 9:13:43 AM

3. Their number is 904-642-2688 give them a call and let them know your feelings. I know I am.

Posted by: Jayson | Jun 11, 2013 9:27:13 AM

4. There may be a point to the multiple family shenanigans. It's Florida? Lots of Hispanics, which means lots of extended families.

That also includes non-Hispanic blended families of live in lovers. Since the museum probably isn't checking last names (mom has a last name, dad has a last name, kids have multiple last names including names which are neither mom's nor dad's), then the museum has to swallow their pride on this one and amend their own rules.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 11, 2013 9:38:52 AM

5. There's alot of children's museums there. Just go to another one....They're looking for money obviously.....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 11, 2013 9:42:33 AM

6. Zeta, boiling this problem down to "it's Hispanics" makes you about as stupid as this museum person. Perhaps they are hiring. I would bet you'd be perfect.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 11, 2013 9:48:11 AM

7. Florida..meh?

Posted by: mymy | Jun 11, 2013 9:50:09 AM

8. The museum had a choice--honor reality (they are a family) like museums all over the place or come off looking like out of touch a-holes. They made the wrong choice, and they got called on it.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 11, 2013 9:55:50 AM

9. Yay Zeta....now we can pair your racism with the museum gay bigotry for an amazing hate sandwich.

Posted by: Kareem | Jun 11, 2013 10:16:12 AM

10. @ChristoperM, I'd be marvelous. I love non-profits. And I'd do it by offering 'individual' and 'family group' rates depending on how many are in the 'group'.

That way single parents (who were also excluded by the museum's policy, on its face -- but that's not as sexy as discrimination against lesbians), blended families, extended families and traditional nuclear families can all be included without anyone being called out for not having the 'correct' family make up.

There'd even be a Bring Your Pet area.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 11, 2013 10:29:23 AM

11. Zeta, your logic is flawed. If having two individuals of the same sex is some how opening them up to fraud, how exactly are they controlling the same issue for opposite-sex couples? Nothing in their argument (or yours) suggests that they have a way of determining whether a straight couple applying for a membership is committing the same kind of fraud. Two families could sign up for one membership by claiming that the man from one and the woman from the other are a couple with two kids.

Posted by: luminum | Jun 11, 2013 10:33:33 AM

12. One of the most bigoted cities in the country. I feel sorry for the LGBTs who live there. Moving away was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Posted by: John | Jun 11, 2013 10:36:32 AM

13. I have a similar situation going on with my local community center right now :/

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 11, 2013 10:43:40 AM

14. Just because Jacksonville is in Florida does not mean it automatically has a large Hispanic population. It doesn't.

According to the 2010 Census, 7.7 percent of Jacksonville residents are of Hispanic or Latino origin. The state average is 22.5%.

Posted by: alex | Jun 11, 2013 10:59:35 AM

15. Alex, bigots never let facts get in the way of their flawed view of reality.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 11, 2013 11:16:02 AM

16. Alex, bigots never let facts get in the way of their flawed view of reality.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 11, 2013 11:16:03 AM

17. When I lived in Florida 10 years ago, my opinion of that state at the time was that it was the "cultural cesspool of the nation." I promised myself I wouldn't go back.

Posted by: steve | Jun 11, 2013 11:34:20 AM

18. Just me, or is anyone else disturbed by the name "Hands On Children" museum?

Posted by: johnny | Jun 11, 2013 11:59:15 AM

19. People in Flarda still need to work on a lot more than counting their votes. Won't go there, won't buy their sh*tty oranges either.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Jun 11, 2013 2:13:18 PM

20. Their website states that they're a 501(c) Non-Profit. So bigotry gets a tax-break.

Posted by: Rexford | Jun 11, 2013 3:23:24 PM

21. If you look at their website, the family membership says "1 named parent and any children under 18. Additional named person, $10 dollars."

My interpretation is that any family would have to pay $10 for an additional parent. This might all be a misunderstanding.

Posted by: Mick | Jun 11, 2013 4:39:34 PM

22. I've never understood the concept of boycotting an entire state. Do people not understand that the actions of politicians and organizations like this museum are not supported by 100% of the population?

State lines are mostly arbitrary. Penalizing progressive areas like South Florida simply because the actions of people hundreds of miles away in Jacksonville is rather illogical.

Also, try reframing. If you boycott Florida because the majority passed anti-LGB laws, shouldn't you also support a boycott of international tourists to the United States? After all, a majority of states do not have gay rights legislation.

Posted by: alex | Jun 11, 2013 5:37:45 PM

23. Be sure to check out the Facebook group "Boycott The Hands On Children's Museum Jacksonville"

Also sign the petition https://www.facebook.com/events/470960966321685/?fref=ts

And come out to show your support for equality https://www.facebook.com/events/470960966321685/?fref=ts

Posted by: Tiffany | Jun 11, 2013 10:25:38 PM

24. Come to the one in Chicago. It's much better than the one in Hicksville, USA. Honestly, is the southern half of this nation full of inconsiderate, neanderthal idiots? It sure seems so. Whatever happened to the "Bible Belt"? When did it become the "Hate Belt"? Do those idiots ever OPEN that Bible? They sure quote it a lot, you'd think they'd have a basic understanding of the Christian religion. They do not, in the least, know a thing about Christianity if they are consumed with all that hate. The dopes just don't get it...you can't be a Christian if your heart is full of hate. Jesus won't live there. He can't. He is about love, not hate. I hope these sinners to the south figure this out before it is too late, and they are doomed to an eternity with Satan as their bunk mate.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 12, 2013 2:44:58 AM

25. Mick, it is not a misunderstanding. The museum has quietly changed its policy, without issuing a statement.

And then they... issued a statement stating that their policy is still the same as it was (unlike what their website now says) and then demanded an apology from me.

I'm pretty sure the problem is mostly that these people aren't very bright.

As far as abandoning Florida, there are many things I love about my city and state. I won't give it over to the haters without a fight. I moved BACK here to be near my family, even knowing that it was less friendly, and honestly this is the first problem like this that I've had in over 3 years.

-yes, that Karen